Has anyone ever heard of 5 Million baht sin sod being asked before.

WayneThompson

As a Thai, I would say the amount of Sin Sod reflects the girl's social status, family background and education. If she is a well-educated from a wealthy family with a nice job then you can expect it to be in millions (or more if her family is very wealthy).

Secondly, it also depends on the boyfriend's wealth and capacity to pay for Sin Sod. If the guy is extremely wealthy, then the Sin Sod amount would be high.

If the guy doesn't have a lot of money, there really are understanding parents out there who won't rob you with the amount of dowry (there are but very unlikely if money is a prominent factor in your relationship i.e. they only like you because they think you're rich).

Keep in mind that Sin Sod amount CAN be negotiated. If you can't pay when they're asking for, then go talk to them and explain. If you really don't want to pay, then don't. As a lot of Thais believes foreigners are all rich and 5 million is nothing for you guys, in your case, I think the parents just ask 5 million because they think they can and that you will pay, given that your girlfriend is an average middle-class Thai. Yes, 5 million is way too high. Do negotiate with them.

In regards to where the money will go to, it really depends on the parents. If they are just happy for you to be together, they will probably return you the money.

I know a lot of foreigners never get the money back because especially in cases where the girl is poor because they see you as ATM.

Post # 1, contentious subject, very good, almost impeccable English, but you're Thai?

I smell a troll folks.

Yes, I am a Thai though living in Australia. And I don't see any reason to be trolling.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic