Sven Thinks England Will Win!

Neeranam

dont get me wrong, i think england has a good team, but you really got to take out owen (even though its his last world cup) and put in walcott. also take out beckham, no matter how big of a star he is, 90% of the time he can't play football.

If there's God, and he's English, then, maybe, England will get lucky.

Look at their forwards - Owen, hasn't played for half a year, Rooney, who isn't fit yet, Walcott who never played a real game yet, and Crouch, who can dance better than play football.

What's the reason for their optimism?

Attitude is there, sure. All they now need is to beat all other teams.

If there's God, and he's English, then, maybe, England will get lucky.

Look at their forwards - Owen, hasn't played for half a year, Rooney, who isn't fit yet, Walcott who never played a real game yet, and Crouch, who can dance better than play football.

What's the reason for their optimism?

Attitude is there, sure. All they now need is to beat all other teams.

Well, they started off with a win - so they are on the way already!

Absolutely - - - - if you believe your own media's hyperbole.

Two, maybe three highest class players; Beckham, Gerrard and that's about it . . .

. . . some of the rest are very good; Lampard, Owen, Carragher etc . . .

. . . and the rest are good.

Again, I'm not saying England has a bad team, not at all - I did say they have a GOOD team, so this isn't England-bashing. they simply don't have a team full of world class palyers that will set this WC alight.

Jeez.......what do you know about it. ? You havn't even mentioned Terry, who incidently is the best in the World at that position. And Robinson? Isn't he #2 in the world. And Joe Cole. Yet again probably Englands best player.

Jeez . . . and I also didn't mention a whole lot of others. Terry is definitely a very solid player - but if you believe he is the best then you really do believe what is written in The Sun.

Cole? Did he play last night? Robinson? Yup - very good 'keeper.

I mentioned a few players, not the whole squad.

Not sure why you are being so defensive, but make sure you read The Sun and Mirror for your share of what's real in this world.

Here's a few top stories from today:

Denise: Buy my boobs

DENISE wants women to get plastic surgery to have boobs like hers

When Hairy met Smelly

HAIRY women and men with body odour have the worst sex lives

Ban is drought of order

MILLIONS of people already hit with a hosepipe ban face more limits

Sure, England have a good team - but is it better than Brazil, France, Argentina, Portugal, Germany or Italy - even on paper?

Yes, much better. Except Brazil maybe.

Absolutely - - - - if you believe your own media's hyperbole.

Two, maybe three highest class players; Beckham, Gerrard and that's about it . . .

. . . some of the rest are very good; Lampard, Owen, Carragher etc . . .

. . . and the rest are good.

Again, I'm not saying England has a bad team, not at all - I did say they have a GOOD team, so this isn't England-bashing. they simply don't have a team full of world class palyers that will set this WC alight.

England have world class players throughout the side in pretty much every position.

Owen is a proven goalscorer and bangs them in at an incredible rate whichever club he's at, and is third highest all-time England goalscorer, yet still only 26.

Gerard, Lampard, Cole and Beckham in midfield: I don't think there's a better quartet of midfielders in the world anywhere. Absolute class.

In defence, Ferdinand and Terry are outstanding, Cole and Neville also up there with the world's best in their respective positions. Robinson is the only real question mark, I'd say, but he's certainly very good if not quite world class.

So, with Rooney chucked in to the equation too, I'd say we have 8 world class players (Owen, Rooney, the 4 midfielders and the 2 centre backs), now how many other teams can boast that many?

Gerard, Lampard, Cole and Beckham in midfield: I don't think there's a better quartet of midfielders in the world anywhere. Absolute class.

In defence, Ferdinand and Terry are outstanding, Cole and Neville also up there with the world's best in their respective positions. Robinson is the only real question mark, I'd say, but he's certainly very good if not quite world class.

So, with Rooney chucked in to the equation too, I'd say we have 8 world class players (Owen, Rooney, the 4 midfielders and the 2 centre backs), now how many other teams can boast that many

In one word: Lots! Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Holland - even Germany.

Just because the English press doesn't report on other country's leagues or players don't play in the EPL doesn't mean they aren't first class and/or better.

Owen - hasn't played at his best for ages

Rooney - certainly THE spark

Ferdinand - so very overrated that he is only now agauin playing first string for England

Terry - overrated

COLE??? - up there with the world's best?

Neville - Solid. Absolutely solid.

Robinson - well, he is good

Lampard - very good indded

Beckham - Excellent in bursts

J. Cole - is he really that good???? When has he proven this?

Gerrard - the cream of the crop in England and the world. (And I'm a Spurs supporter)

So, we don't agree - and by their performance yesterday one can only hope that they show some sort of quality. Quality we know they do have, instead of belting the ball upfield and hoping Crouch gets his head to it.

Anyway, it will be fun to see how everyone goes as the tournament continues.

also take out beckham, no matter how big of a star he is, 90% of the time he can't play football.

Your having a laugh aren't you? There is nobody on this planet who can pin point cross like Becks :D

I'd have to agree crosses and long range strikes are his forte. Just look at that own goal as example - wasn't for becks it would have been a draw. :o

Owen and Rooney are a bit overrated. What did Owen show in Newcastle? Not much, nothing "world class". Rooney CAN storm through any defence, but how often? We've been watching him for two years already and how many games he was nowhere to be found?

He will get a chance to play in two-three games now. Let's hope he'll be worth the hype.

Overall, England will need a lot of luck to win WC.

we have a good team but our problem is we have the wrong manager to get the best out of them.

hope he doesnt play rooney i am not convinced rooney is fit and should have been left at home.sven doesnt give a <deleted> what happens to rooney i am talking about long term as he leaves after the world cup.

and taking wallcott what a bloody joke.

we will not win the world cup we do not have a decent attack.

good luck to the socceroos tonight.

It is ridiculous to say England have no chance in the World Cup. In fact almost as ridiculous as saying Greece will win the European Championship. Most teams at this level of football are fairly equal. The seeded and second string are anyway. Given the right amount of luck, the right amount of desicions to go for them, or against the opposition, anyone of 16 teams could do it. Maybe more.

I'm afraid I'm a different type of England supporter. I think we can do it. Why? Because at long last we have the team, that ON THEIR DAY, are World beaters.

And Sing.........................Terry overrated and only average? Sling it.

got to join this,

J Cole was our best player in the last game

Terry, great defender good passer and dangerous going up for corners

Owen, great goals per game ratio at every club he played for including Real Madrid and England

Gerrard and Lampard, two of the best 3 midfielders playing in Europe, I hope they can gel ...

Neville - solid defender, decent going forward

A Cole, best left back in the EPL maybe in europe

Beckham, best crosser in the world, has his faults but would get into most teams on his work rate and his passing

Rio, when he is on his game is world class

so we have about 8 genuine world class players in the squad, if they get a bit of luck, and no injuries then England have very good chance, and I haven't mentioned Rooney yet.

Shame were are thin on fit in form strikers, but most teams have the same problem, and England can get goals from Gerrard Lampard, Cole and Terry, all have been scoring for their clubs this season, and old beanpole might weigh in with a couple.

And Becks free kicks

Don't write us off yet

England have world class players throughout the side in pretty much every position.

Owen is a proven goalscorer and bangs them in at an incredible rate whichever club he's at, and is third highest all-time England goalscorer, yet still only 26.

So, with Rooney chucked in to the equation too, I'd say we have 8 world class players (Owen, Rooney, the 4 midfielders and the 2 centre backs), now how many other teams can boast that many?

I agree with you Dan that England on paper have a class team. In comparrison, I would say after Brazil, England and Argentina have the strongest teams.

Robinson is a solid keeper. He is head and shoulders above David James or Robert Green. England's defence is decent although I would pick Carrager ahead of Rio.

In midfield there is no doubt that Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard and Cole are individually class players. Personally I think Gerrard and Lampard are great players but they don't seem to work as a midfield partnership. But then which one do you pick? Cole is not a natural left sided player. His best position seems to be the free role he plays for Chelsea behind the front 2 and Beckham looks like he is past his best.

Up front Owen looks off the pace, Crouch isn't really international quality, Rooney is injured and Walcott hasn't even startred shaving yet. Can't understand why Defoe wasn't selected for the squad. Unless Rooney makes a quick recovery, I can see England's lack of potent strikforce being their downfall.

In England's favour, they have an easy group and if they can avoid the Germans in the next round, they have a fairly comfortable passage to the quarters.

Yeah, well hopefully Owen can re-capture his form - he did score against Jamaica, after all, and if he can ease his way back to full sharpness and confidence, perhaps helped by netting one against Trinidad, then he could be back to his usual self by the time we reach the group stages, when we could also see Rooney coming back too which will be a huge psycological boost if nothing else.

Cole's played in that left position for Chelsea a few times and, yes, it's probably not his ideal position but he still plays well there and was probably our best player against Paraguay.

But, yes, the Walcott thing is very strange. For someone who prides himself on being a master tactician, Sven makes some very odd decisions.

Edited by dantilley

Yeah, well hopefully Owen can re-capture his form - he did score against Jamaica, after all, and if he can ease his way back to full sharpness and confidence, perhaps helped by netting one against Trinidad, then he could be back to his usual self by the time we reach the group stages, when we could also see Rooney coming back too which will be a huge psycological boost if nothing else.

Cole's played in that left position for Chelsea a few times and, yes, it's probably not his ideal position but he still plays well there and was probably our best player against Paraguay.

But, yes, the Walcott thing is very strange. For someone who prides himself on being a master tactician, Sven makes some very odd decisions.

With world-class opposition like that, you may be right in your confidence in winning the WC.

lampard:

And Sing.........................Terry overrated and only average? Sling it.
How original, creative and . . . Good to see your education was not wasted. Not sure why you are getting personal about this, but please yourself . . . you probably do several times a day anyway, you cunning linguist. :o

As already mentioned they look good on paper but they have never really looked the part together. Sven always keeps Gerrard back as the holding midfielder, while for Liverpool he is at his best roaming and going forward. But Lampard can't really play the holding role and his form hasn't been that great recently anyway. Cole's got the trickery but not a lot at the end of it. Beckham takes a nice corner.

Still, get an early goal and I reckon England could beat most of the others. We're not likely to see much flowing football from the English but they do have the knack of putting other teams off their game.

also take out beckham, no matter how big of a star he is, 90% of the time he can't play football.

Your having a laugh aren't you? There is nobody on this planet who can pin point cross like Becks :o

pin point? he picked out a paraguay player for his cross and then celebrated the goal as if it didn't touch anyone! his crosses are good, yes, i'll give him that ..but if you see him playing for real madrid all year, he's really not worth the money and hype he earns.

Your having a laugh aren't you? There is nobody on this planet who can pin point cross like Becks :o

pin point? he picked out a paraguay player for his cross and then celebrated the goal as if it didn't touch anyone! his crosses are good, yes, i'll give him that ..but if you see him playing for real madrid all year, he's really not worth the money and hype he earns.

He didn't "pick out" a Paraguay player. He put a deadly ball into the best and most dangerous area of the box and it is then upto one of our players to get an head on it, he did his bit. The Paraguay player did our other players job for us :D

And what about the games against Jamaca and Uraguay. He was man of the match in both those games. Do you still stand by what you initially said about leaving him out of the team :D

England have the best team they have had for years and on paper, they are in the second tier of teams after Brazil who have a real chance of winning. But i think if England go all the way, it will be in spite of Sven and not because of him.

You only need to look as far as the rediculous striker situation. Why bring Walcott if he's just there for the ride? What happens if both Rooney and Owen are not fit?

I really hope Sven doesn't waste this opportunity and pulls his finger out. I think the saying goes:

live in hope, die in despair.

And what about the games against Jamaca and Uraguay. He was man of the match in both those games. Do you still stand by what you initially said about leaving him out of the team :o

sure i still think that way. i realize its not possible for anyone from england to see the squad play without beckham, but ...well, lets leave it at what i said before.

nothing against the english squad or england, but they won't become world champions this year. neither will my own country, who's also participating in the world cup. that doesn't mean i won't enjoy the games they play, though ..i'm just being realistic.

Don't understand why beckham gets so much stick, he won over the real fans, why is he so admired over there but not at home, and look at the competition he has in spain, beckham is a ###### good player, no two ways about it.

and as for people slagging terry, well i'm no chelsea fan but i recognise quality when i see it, and terry is a world class center back and a natural leader

the key to winning the wc is not conceding many goals, and we have a top defence, just got get scoring a few

And what about the games against Jamaca and Uraguay. He was man of the match in both those games. Do you still stand by what you initially said about leaving him out of the team :D

nothing against the english squad or england, but they won't become world champions this year.

:D

Perhaps you should change your handle to Mystic Meg, Rainman. :o

nothing against the english squad or england, but they won't become world champions this year.

:D

Perhaps you should change your handle to Mystic Meg, Rainman. :o

if they do become world champions, i'll gladly request a handle change.