Thai Bashing

Banzai99

In another thread the OP wrote, "I think it's wonderful for people who have the choice to choose, 99% of Thai people have no choice."

That's Thai bashing because it's not true. People with degrees have many opportunities in Thailand and there are 1/2 a million new uni grads in Thailand every year.

So to the OP why do you bash Thais? Or was that the only post where you did?

Sorry if you allow me, it was probably not Thai bashing but ignorance (no joking) his error was mainly in % smile.png

So lets say maybe 80% of Thai people have very little choice

I've never met a sane Thai person who didn't have a choice. It may not be a choice you would pick but he or she has a choice.

I have never felt I could quit my job, give my kids to the in laws, go home and drink and eat free and chase the village girls because I wanted a break. Yet all the Thai men I know have this option.

I said they have IMHO "little choice"smile.png

When I see the medium salaries of some courageous, "sane" young hard working Thais, I would have probably been discouraged myself at the same age, they are not by the way. My DIL is 23 she works for Bangkok Airways, in the VIP lounge, 11 hours 6 days a week. In Europe if someone works hard in a restaurant or a bar he could manage to have a very decent salary, balancing the lack of qualifications by hard working, punctuality, honesty, and so on. Not sure its possible in Thailand . This morning I did not see my DIL, my wife told me she is working today, and so she got up at half past three. She earns hardly more than 10.000 Bahts so for me she has little choice for an Airline is already a rather good employer, with at least a few more advantages compare to Tesco for instance.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are talking about human nature here,i lived in Australia for 15 years,there were things i liked and things i did not,being called Pommie all the time became annoying,i lived and worked in hong Kong,there were things i liked and things i did not,i lived in Mexico,same,my country of Birth England the same,surely complaining about things that could be improved is not bashing anyone,all humans complain and moan about things,because we are indivduals and have an opinion ,not ants,there are positives and negatives in everyplace,and i have to say in my veiw some posters are overly zealous in attacking anyone with negative comments about Thailand,whilst others are overly zealous attacking those that say anything positive,as i said human nature.

When I see the medium salaries of some courageous, "sane" young hard working Thais, I would have probably been discouraged myself at the same age, they are not by the way. My DIL is 23 she works for Bangkok Airways, in the VIP lounge, 11 hours 6 days a week. In Europe if someone works hard in a restaurant or a bar he could manage to have a very decent salary, balancing the lack of qualifications by hard working, punctuality, honesty, and so on. Not sure its possible in Thailand . This morning I did not see my DIL, my wife told me she is working today, and so she got up at half past three. She earns hardly more than 10.000 Bahts so for me she has little choice for an Airline is already a rather good employer, with at least a few more advantages compare to Tesco for instance.

Horses for courses. Rupert Murdoch thinks I have few choices. Is he right?

• Like 1

Being not a native English speaker I do not catch what it means, so cannot answer, sorry.

everywhere else in the world, it is called truth,

only in Thailand is it thai bashing

ex.

I told the girl I was with that the thai economy is heading for a severe contraction,

she said I was insulting her country

When you where only insulting her by the way, why on earth anyone would tell that to a Thai girlfriend who does not know a monkey about the subject... if not to tease ?

...but it is absolutely true ! Maybe but same samewai.gif

How do you know she doesn't know monkeys about the subject, have you seen her CV ?, she might have an MBA or a degree in business.....it maybe in fact that you are being insulting by jumping to conclusions that she knows monkeys

I have not read her CV but simply OP posts, saying his girlfriend was a bar girl who stopped for him because she was number one with him!

So I am not dreaming, but OK if she was a bar girl with MBA or a degree in business, of course my apologies.

So as YOUR own answer is concerned no need to defend the poor the widow and the fatherless.

A like from Scarpolo ! Respect mate for you have a sense of humour thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Being not a native English speaker I do not catch what it means, so cannot answer, sorry.

Google, "Houses for courses" and "Rupert Murdoch."

• Like 1

so what this boils down to isnt the truth but the loss of face, in any other country if you lost face and tried to take legal action you would be laughed out of the place. Just because your feelings are hurt and you have been shown to have bad habits/no manners/a total ar*e etc does not constitute bashing. If people are not capable of taking criticisms then maybe they should not come into an open forum, as they say, if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen. On the other hand if someone says racist or threatening things then it is ok to complain. If you want to run TV like a court room & the thai laws you may as well just close it up totally, everyone is entitled to an opinion, if it is different to yours then tough. When you take away free speech you start the long slide into total corruption and the end to democracy, hitler had it down pat as does north korea, is this what you want Thailand to be like as well. Bashing people mis making false claims about them and putting them down, pointing out their faults is just that, if people are offended by it then they obviously have no respect for themselves or others, you need to accept it and just move on.

Edited by seajae

It illustrates my point up top perfectly. One persons bash is another persons truth.

Criminal Code, Section 326: Whoever imputes anything to the other person before a third person in a manner likely to impair the reputation of such other person or to expose such other person to be hated or scorned is said to commit defamation, and shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding one year or fined not exceeding twenty thousand Baht, or both.

Criminal Code, Section 330: In case of defamation, if the person prosecuted for defamation can prove that the imputation made by him is true, he shall not be punished. But he shall not be allowed to prove if such imputation concerns personal matters, and such proof will not be beneficial to the public.

In any event it seems to me it is up to the bashee to prove the bash is not true. Am I reading the above correctly? Or is it the other way around? And what does beneficial to the public mean? Is it beneficial to the public to know about personal hygiene and nose picking? Or are those personal bashes?

Well it is all in the judgement.

Things like

"The police are corrupt" are relative, but true in measured stats. Not all are, but many are.

Could they sue, maybe. Would be fun to trot out stats to fight it. Of course there are some honest ones, but in comparison with many places they are more corrupt.

Nose picking, who cares, but I think it is definitely in the public interest to he aware that there are many known stings around.

Jet ski owners aren't to be trusted and the cops are in on it. I apologise to the honest jet skiers and police, but its a worthy statement. I think there is also one very important issue in this. Is that, for example with scams or corruption, it is absolutely normal and commonplace everyday event for things like this to occur, and law enforcement knows.

Now call it bashing but it is a very important issue for newbies to realise that the law in Thailand is not set up to protect the innocent. Ignorance is no defence.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Lets be honest Thais do not want us here or care about our culture. We are paying guest and some Thais are more willing to let us know this than others. This behavior trends to cause hard feeling and leads to the offended party wanting to talk smack about our gracious hired host.

Why should I google "Houses for courses" when you wrote " Horses for courses" blink.png

as for Murdoch of course I know... have a good night facepalm.gif

Why should I google "Houses for courses" when you wrote " Horses for courses" blink.png

Maybe he meant houses for scousers....try that one.

Maybe he meant houses for scousers....try that one.

Thank you Mr Teaser, but not all non native speakers are retarded wai.gif I had looked for "houses for courses" already!

My answer was only because when one likes to teach one looks at his writting so yes I understood "Google Houses for courses" was a misspelling. rolleyes.gif

• 6 months later...

I do read alot of people bashing Thai women for being mercenary. However these are the people who chose women from the bar scene. What did they expect?

Bar women are like any other women. It's the naive man who gets taken to the cleaners by any significant other regardless of occupation of said other. A fool and his money are soon parted was not written specifically about Thailand.

• Like 1

It's just venting, mate. It's kinda understood when someone writes or says something to the effect of "Thai people are so stupid for doing x, y, or z..." what's really meant is "Certain Thai people annoy me when they do x, y, or z." I tend to think all of us TV users are generally good people and like most of the Thai people we encounter.

Because it makes the people that do it feel better about themselves because they are so insecure, reading some of the posts on TV one could well picture the same people making the same comments about "their" natives in Africa or India in days gone by

One suspects a lot of the people making these comments would be "lower" classes in their own countries and now they have moved to Thailand, they can look down on people "lower" than themselves

That's why sometimes they're referred as farang khee nok by Thais because of their behaviors and attitude

Lets be honest Thais do not want us here or care about our culture. We are paying guest and some Thais are more willing to let us know this than others. This behavior trends to cause hard feeling and leads to the offended party wanting to talk smack about our gracious hired host.

us?? speak for yourself.

• Like 1

There is a program screening in Australia now called the embassy .It shows Thailand in a very bad way .As do most programs around the world. Yet there is very few programs about other countries. Had a friend email me to tell me about the show and she was horrified that I was was still living here .Dont you just get sick of it ..

Edited by kevvy

I am very disappointed that there are not more pro-Thai bashing post on this thread!

There are so many Thai bashers on TV..why do they not defend themselves here?

Could this be the start of "basher bashing"?

Edited by willyumiii