Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thai Bashing

Banzai99

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's apparent that many irritating points mix easily with ethnocentric rubbish. It's hard to define what is mean spirited, but I know it when I see it; I sense disdain when I read it. Therefore I know!

A great many of you are still the products of the west. What great fruit comes from that tree; you are here. But limited in your worldview, notwithstanding your desire to be elsewhere and arriving here, you still look at other peoples with your former viewpoint. It's so obvious and quite frankly reflects poorly on you. TV posters know the drivel when we read it. Perhaps was not appropriate to have you move to the adult table on the holidays.

I don't like the nose picking, the lack of bleach in bathrooms, and other pet peeves- so what! I have been here more or less for ten years and I have rarely had a Thai person rude or unkind to me (excepting taxi drivers). Perhaps it's you. Perhaps it's a number of you because, with head held high, you implicitly radiate contempt. I have visited and worked in numerous countries and I would take Thailand, with all it's blemishes, any day.

Good post.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that many Westerners will never be able to adapt into the lifestyles, the culture, the thinking and the attitudes of the Thai people, including the environment.

In my opinion one either loves it or hates it, there seems to be no in-between. I have many friends back in the West, quite a few married to Thai wives and none of them are hard up for money, yet most of my friends are so installed into their ways of life there that even they admit would never be able to adapt to life in Thailand, they would feel like a fish out of water. Those considering moving here should fully understand that Thailand is not for everybody, it`s really a case of throwing themselves into the Thai scene or staying in their home countries with everything they are used to and can be more in control of their own lives, within what they may describe as their natural environments.

Too many are arriving here believing in a dream without doing any proper research or planning and then finding themselves stuck in a rut and even trapped in some cases feeling isolated, unhappy and locked into an environment that they hate. These in my mind are the main Thai bashers, the discontented and those who have messed things up for themselves, but prefer to blame everyone else.

Please be aware, there is no such place as Utopia, once here you have to make the most of it. Do your research prior to giving it all up back home and jumping in at the deep end on a hope and a prayer that all will work out.

It's apparent that many irritating points mix easily with ethnocentric rubbish. It's hard to define what is mean spirited, but I know it when I see it; I sense disdain when I read it. Therefore I know!

A great many of you are still the products of the west. What great fruit comes from that tree; you are here. But limited in your worldview, notwithstanding your desire to be elsewhere and arriving here, you still look at other peoples with your former viewpoint. It's so obvious and quite frankly reflects poorly on you. TV posters know the drivel when we read it. Perhaps was not appropriate to have you move to the adult table on the holidays.

I don't like the nose picking, the lack of bleach in bathrooms, and other pet peeves- so what! I have been here more or less for ten years and I have rarely had a Thai person rude or unkind to me (excepting taxi drivers). Perhaps it's you. Perhaps it's a number of you because, with head held high, you implicitly radiate contempt. I have visited and worked in numerous countries and I would take Thailand, with all it's blemishes, any day.

Good post.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that many Westerners will never be able to adapt into the lifestyles, the culture, the thinking and the attitudes of the Thai people, including the environment.

In my opinion one either loves it or hates it, there seems to be no in-between. I have many friends back in the West, quite a few married to Thai wives and none of them are hard up for money, yet most of my friends are so installed into their ways of life there that even they admit would never be able to adapt to life in Thailand, they would feel like a fish out of water. Those considering moving here should fully understand that Thailand is not for everybody, it`s really a case of throwing themselves into the Thai scene or staying in their home countries with everything they are used to and can be more in control of their own lives, within what they may describe as their natural environments.

Too many are arriving here believing in a dream without doing any proper research or planning and then finding themselves stuck in a rut and even trapped in some cases feeling isolated, unhappy and locked into an environment that they hate. These in my mind are the main Thai bashers, the discontented and those who have messed things up for themselves, but prefer to blame everyone else.

Please be aware, there is no such place as Utopia, once here you have to make the most of it. Do your research prior to giving it all up back home and jumping in at the deep end on a hope and a prayer that all will work out.

There are many major players here who have left Thailand. They don't live in Thailand. They don't like Thailand. They rant and rave how good it is, how cheap it is, how much better it is outside of Thailand.

Why dear God do they think we care? They tried and for one reason or another left. Good. There must be another forum where people want to hear about how happy they are about leaving Thailand? I've lived in Florida and Oregon and tried eating faggots, haggis and spotted dick and I don't really like any of them.

Because people don't find enough of the truth of the matter to make a reasoned judgement.

Predicting the downfall of somewhere is notoriously difficult for experts let alone us lot. Empires fall over decades not weeks. The 97 crisis took years and years to reach the end.

It all comes down to.surmising that eventually the piper will be paid. The faults in Thailand are there for all to see just as they are in the EU, USA or elsewhere. Seeing them and pointing them out isn't bashing, its just obvious to see.

It depends on what you compare them to. Apples to apples. Can you compare the USA to Thailand? Of course not.

Can you compare Thailand to Burma, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia? Sure. Size, location, people...........

Of course you can compare Thailand to anywhere you fancy. Anything else is just a copy out.

It just depends in which issues you want to.compare and what effects you the most

Reality is, the truth of Thailand is very well hidden, as it is in other countries. For example I am working with a woman who attempted to move to up country Canada with her family 5 years ago.

They gave up and came back to UK. Why? Racism, bullying and discrimination against their kids. I was shocked, but apparently its a big problem for kids coming from overseas.

So, no where is immune to problems, and pretending they don't exist to save peoples sensibilities in a chat room is stupid.

Coming back to the UK its apparent that Thailand is ridiculously corrupt. After 18 years I had become immune to it. The schools really are horrendous and it is now stuck in a rut.

I cared before, but I am very glad indeed I got my kids out of there. Its not healthy. Call it bashing, but it is from my view irrefutably true.

I will maybe return to retire, but there is a big wide world out there where I can really belong without visas and worries about vagaries or owning houses and the such.

Thailand has a lot of problems, but so does everywhere. Why aren't people allowed to talka about it?

• Like 2

everywhere else in the world, it is called truth,

only in Thailand is it thai bashing

ex.

I told the girl I was with that the thai economy is heading for a severe contraction,

she said I was insulting her country

When you where only insulting her by the way, why on earth anyone would tell that to a Thai girlfriend who does not know a monkey about the subject... if not to tease ?

...but it is absolutely true ! Maybe but same samewai.gif

ex.

I told the girl I was with that the thai economy is heading for a severe contraction,

When you where only insulting her by the way, why on earth anyone would tell that to a Thai girlfriend who does not know a monkey about the subject... if not to tease ?

How do you know she doesn't know monkeys about the subject, have you seen her CV ?, she might have an MBA or a degree in business.....it maybe in fact that you are being insulting by jumping to conclusions that she knows monkeys

ex.

It isn't a leg opener is it ;)

there is a difference between thai bashing and being honest. No one is perfect but when you come across people with attitudes that are not as bad in many other countries it can frustrate the best of us. Bad education also helps this, face, arrogance, lack of concern for others, it all adds up. It is not all thais but it certainly is a lot of them. I find most of the thais I meet are great people, they come from poor families that have had to give up a lot for them to advance themselves and you couldnt ask for nicer people(business managers, police officers, pilots, doctors etc), they appreciate the chance they have been given and maintain their true thai background of respect for others and in return get even more respect for themselves.

All countries have faults, its just that Thailand is trying to be a first world country with third world thinking, many of its people are not capable of doing it, they still think using "entitlement" and therefore ignore everyone else and what is correct. Commenting on these people is telling the truth, saying hateful statements about thais in general is bashing.

What do you think is Thai bashing?

I read one page of one poster and pulled these quotes. "the Thai smile is a fake, the land is polluted, the opportunities are not really there, or require lots of flamed hoops and under handed tea money. fed up with the lies, the hypocrisy , the border stamp runs, the driving, the abysmal regard for safety, the face saving above all else mentality. Thais are about as bigotted and racist a culture as it gets. poppng pimples - gawd that one is as nasty as it gets, too. Vanity and grossness rolled into one. Gawd just.... disgusting. Thais throw trash everywhere and pick their noses and have a serious hygiene deficiency. she is a moron, apparently, or insipid, or both. Seems to be a national condition. Note how the walls in their homes are black filthy or covered with pink mold.

End of quote.

Would you say the above person is Thai basher?

I'd say they're stating the facts.

there is a difference between thai bashing and being honest. No one is perfect but when you come across people with attitudes that are not as bad in many other countries it can frustrate the best of us. Bad education also helps this, face, arrogance, lack of concern for others, it all adds up. It is not all thais but it certainly is a lot of them. I find most of the thais I meet are great people, they come from poor families that have had to give up a lot for them to advance themselves and you couldnt ask for nicer people(business managers, police officers, pilots, doctors etc), they appreciate the chance they have been given and maintain their true thai background of respect for others and in return get even more respect for themselves.

All countries have faults, its just that Thailand is trying to be a first world country with third world thinking, many of its people are not capable of doing it, they still think using "entitlement" and therefore ignore everyone else and what is correct. Commenting on these people is telling the truth, saying hateful statements about thais in general is bashing.

I read one page of one poster and pulled these quotes. "the Thai smile is a fake, the land is polluted, the opportunities are not really there, or require lots of flamed hoops and under handed tea money. fed up with the lies, the hypocrisy , the border stamp runs, the driving, the abysmal regard for safety, the face saving above all else mentality. Thais are about as bigotted and racist a culture as it gets. poppng pimples - gawd that one is as nasty as it gets, too. Vanity and grossness rolled into one. Gawd just.... disgusting. Thais throw trash everywhere and pick their noses and have a serious hygiene deficiency. she is a moron, apparently, or insipid, or both. Seems to be a national condition. Note how the walls in their homes are black filthy or covered with pink mold.

End of quote.

you are simply backing up what I just said, some of those quotes are very true, you point out the ones you think are not true and I will tell you. The smile one I dont agree with and not all the walls are black/mouldy(although some are) but most of it sounds like someone is just pretty pissed off at someone but most of the facts are in fact true. A lot comes down to how it is actually meant/said too, we all know the truth about Thailand even though some refuse to admit it but that doesnt mean we dont like it here, just that we are capable of seeing fault and do not lie about it. I have no problems when I bitch about Australia's faults so I wont lie about Thailands either. As I said, you point out the lies as you see them in the statement, I can see that this is probably thai bashing but it is factual at the same time, they are obviously upset by the sound of it.

End of quote.

you are simply backing up what I just said, some of those quotes are very true, you point out the ones you think are not true and I will tell you. The smile one I dont agree with and not all the walls are black/mouldy(although some are) but most of it sounds like someone is just pretty pissed off at someone but most of the facts are in fact true. A lot comes down to how it is actually meant/said too, we all know the truth about Thailand even though some refuse to admit it but that doesnt mean we dont like it here, just that we are capable of seeing fault and do not lie about it. I have no problems when I bitch about Australia's faults so I wont lie about Thailands either. As I said, you point out the lies as you see them in the statement, I can see that this is probably thai bashing but it is factual at the same time, they are obviously upset by the sound of it.

Its also a way of spreading the word to others of what to be aware or what the cultural expectations are.

These stories can't ever be 100% true, but if bad things happening are commonplace , its right to share them to help others get into trouble.

I mean, how long has the gems scam been running in Thailand? 30 years. Is it bashing to tell people, "beware of apparently helpful TUK TUK drivers taking you gem factories" ?

It isn't bashing to tell people that the likelihood is that its a con, is it? Sharing the truth of the problems of a place isn't bashing. I mean, just imagine how u felt the first time the loo attendant gave u a back rub while u took a piss.

Many a fight has been started for less.

End of quote.

Is factual Thai bashing allowed on Thai Visa?

In another thread the OP wrote, "I think it's wonderful for people who have the choice to choose, 99% of Thai people have no choice."

That's Thai bashing because it's not true. People with degrees have many opportunities in Thailand and there are 1/2 a million new uni grads in Thailand every year.

So to the OP why do you bash Thais? Or was that the only post where you did?

Sorry if you allow me, it was probably not Thai bashing but ignorance (no joking) his error was mainly in % smile.png

So lets say maybe 80% of Thai people have very little choice

In another thread the OP wrote, "I think it's wonderful for people who have the choice to choose, 99% of Thai people have no choice."

That's Thai bashing because it's not true. People with degrees have many opportunities in Thailand and there are 1/2 a million new uni grads in Thailand every year.

Sorry if you allow me, it was probably not Thai bashing but ignorance (no joking) his error was mainly in % smile.png

I've never met a sane Thai person who didn't have a choice. It may not be a choice you would pick but he or she has a choice.

I have never felt I could quit my job, give my kids to the in laws, go home and drink and eat free and chase the village girls because I wanted a break. Yet all the Thai men I know have this option.

I've never met a sane Thai person who didn't have a choice. It may not be a choice you would pick but he or she has a choice.

I have never felt I could quit my job, give my kids to the in laws, go home and drink and eat free and chase the village girls because I wanted a break. Yet all the Thai men I know have this option.

So you are saying and by the sounds, agree thai males are useless burdens to the planet.

ex.

How do you know she doesn't know monkeys about the subject, have you seen her CV ?, she might have an MBA or a degree in business.....it maybe in fact that you are being insulting by jumping to conclusions that she knows monkeys

I have not read her CV but simply OP posts, saying his girlfriend was a bar girl who stopped for him because she was number one with him!

So I am not dreaming, but OK if she was a bar girl with MBA or a degree in business, of course my apologies.

So as YOUR own answer is concerned no need to defend the poor the widow and the fatherless.

• Like 1

End of quote.

if it is factual it cannot be bashing as long as it is stated in a truthful way and not meant to be derogatory

End of quote.

yes but that person who quoted that is sad in her/his life and do not think they will ever be happy anywhere they live

• Like 1

if it is factual it cannot be bashing as long as it is stated in a truthful way and not meant to be derogatory

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/400480-defamation/

eek

Posted 2010-09-24 13:22:22

First off, Defamation is a criminal act in Thailand and defamation does not have to be false, it has to be damaging.

Under Thai law the truth in itself is no defense against libel. It is more a question of if someone loses "face" by another persons remarks.

End of quote.

I think Thai bashing comes under the terms libel and defamation and as such would not have to be true to not be allowed.

If I were to read, "Thais throw trash everywhere and pick their noses and have a serious hygiene deficiency." I would think that was a loss of face for Thailand.

I agree with seajai that bashing can be factual and not derogatory but I think the weight would be on the derogatory part as opposed to the factual part?

I think Western people tend to place too large an emphasis on truth as defense and that is not the cases in Thailand.

I am in no way trying to be argumentative. I am only inquiring about what is acceptable to post and what is not.

There is far too much of this on Thai visa these days.

Racist, bigoted and defamatory comments regarding all aspects of the Thai people and Thailand. I estimate that the negative comments have become the majority and way out number the positive attitudes on here.

This says a lot about the types of Westerners who are plonking themselves into the country and joining the forums on Thai visa. Please be assured that the Immigration departments read these threads and are noted, comments and viewpoints that can go against all of us. If not careful Thai visa is going to become known as anti Thai visa and used as a platform for the racist and bigoted rants of those with extremist views, the crank elements and the losers with grudges to bear.

Do you think it could be because more and more people have more and more bad experience with Thailand and Thai people??

Or do you think it is because there are simply more unhappy people who like to make things up?

of course they do it is a completely different country and way of life to where they lived before my home country is so different to the ways of this country and you have to learn as you go boy! when the immigrants came into my country everyone did not want them they cannot talk english they want land they want this they are no good goes on and on when we come here we want everything to be perfect but are not prepared for the people's thinking about foreigners and our way of life we all have to accept they way this country works and their people i think thai people are basic people who like to be happy and friendly

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/400480-defamation/ eek

Posted 2010-09-24 13:22:22

First off, Defamation is a criminal act in Thailand and defamation does not have to be false, it has to be damaging.

Under Thai law the truth in itself is no defense against libel. It is more a question of if someone loses "face" by another persons remarks.

End of quote.

I think Thai bashing comes under the terms libel and defamation and as such would not have to be true to not be allowed.

If I were to read, "Thais throw trash everywhere and pick their noses and have a serious hygiene deficiency." I would think that was a loss of face for Thailand.

I agree with seajai that bashing can be factual and not derogatory but I think the weight would be on the derogatory part as opposed to the factual part?

I think Western people tend to place too large an emphasis on truth as defense and that is not the cases in Thailand.

I am in no way trying to be argumentative. I am only inquiring about what is acceptable to post and what is not.

It seems that just about anything on here can be construed as bashing if it is deemed so by one person.

Thinks like the that smile being fake or not are irrelevant, but in essence are demeaning anyway.

Ahhh, look at the poor people, they have so little but they smile all the time. The idea of Thai smile is ridiculously patronising anyway.

Losing face as a nation. Well, now we have an interesting one. Because, when does a loss of face become real? When it is pointed out. The country is in chaos and you are worried that people notice if people pick their nose?

I think the problem is that apparently, criticism of Thailand is reserved for Thais and no others. In a place as messed up as poltically Thailand is right now, how can you expect people to ignore it. The issue is Thailand desire to not hold itself to public account and be honest, not falangs pointing out the obvious. Just look how foreigners love Voranij in the BP. He's tame by western standards.

In comparison with a lot of other countries, there is a lot of litter in Thailand. Unless foreigners did it, Thais put it there.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Racist, bigoted and defamatory comments regarding all aspects of the Thai people and Thailand. I estimate that the negative comments have become the majority and way out number the positive attitudes on here.

This says a lot about the types of Westerners who are plonking themselves into the country and joining the forums on Thai visa. Please be assured that the Immigration departments read these threads and are noted, comments and viewpoints that can go against all of us. If not careful Thai visa is going to become known as anti Thai visa and used as a platform for the racist and bigoted rants of those with extremist views, the crank elements and the losers with grudges to bear.

Do you think it could be because more and more people have more and more bad experience with Thailand and Thai people??

Or do you think it is because there are simply more unhappy people who like to make things up?

of course they do it is a completely different country and way of life to where they lived before my home country is so different to the ways of this country and you have to learn as you go boy! when the immigrants came into my country everyone did not want them they cannot talk english they want land they want this they are no good goes on and on when we come here we want everything to be perfect but are not prepared for the people's thinking about foreigners and our way of life we all have to accept they way this country works and their people i think thai people are basic people who like to be happy and friendly

You called Thai people "basic".

Hahaha. Well. Score one for not bashing anyone.

take it how you read it basic can mean village people or people who have a working life or a ordinary life there are many meanings basically it means they have a basic life like many other nationalities

Basic.

I don't care about having the most flashy things in life as long as I am happy.

That is the only thing that matters to me

so you took this all wrong cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif to you too

take it how you read it basic can mean village people or people who have a working life or a ordinary life there are many meanings basically it means they have a basic life like many other nationalities

Basic.

I don't care about having the most flashy things in life as long as I am happy.

That is the only thing that matters to me

so you took this all wrong cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif to you too

It illustrates my point up top perfectly. One persons bash is another persons truth.

It illustrates my point up top perfectly. One persons bash is another persons truth.

Criminal Code, Section 326: Whoever imputes anything to the other person before a third person in a manner likely to impair the reputation of such other person or to expose such other person to be hated or scorned is said to commit defamation, and shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding one year or fined not exceeding twenty thousand Baht, or both.

Criminal Code, Section 330: In case of defamation, if the person prosecuted for defamation can prove that the imputation made by him is true, he shall not be punished. But he shall not be allowed to prove if such imputation concerns personal matters, and such proof will not be beneficial to the public.

In any event it seems to me it is up to the bashee to prove the bash is not true. Am I reading the above correctly? Or is it the other way around? And what does beneficial to the public mean? Is it beneficial to the public to know about personal hygiene and nose picking? Or are those personal bashes?

Edited by thailiketoo

So you are saying and by the sounds, agree thai males are useless burdens to the planet.

Sounds like that. A very negative post by thailiketoo