Thai Bashing

Banzai99

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is far too much of this on Thai visa these days.

Racist, bigoted and defamatory comments regarding all aspects of the Thai people and Thailand. I estimate that the negative comments have become the majority and way out number the positive attitudes on here.

This says a lot about the types of Westerners who are plonking themselves into the country and joining the forums on Thai visa. Please be assured that the Immigration departments read these threads and are noted, comments and viewpoints that can go against all of us. If not careful Thai visa is going to become known as anti Thai visa and used as a platform for the racist and bigoted rants of those with extremist views, the crank elements and the losers with grudges to bear.

• Like 2

I think at the core of all Thai bashing lies the undeniable truth that Thais, on a regular basis, ignore techniques and opinions from countries, groups, and individuals that can be proven, empirically speaking, to be superior to the Thai ways. It brings to mind this great show that is currently running called "Vikings", where the shows heroes (or anti-heroes), are extremely endearing precisely because they are open to learning techniques from other cultures to better their respective societies (despite what their religious doctrine may say). I think the exact opposite is true of Thais, and it brings with it the exact opposite (of endearing) reactions. I have never seen anything like it either: you can tell a Thai how to say a particular word in English, but they will insist that their pronunciation is correct.... and just keep on trukin along, making the same mistake the rest of their lives. This is VERY VERY odd, and most obviously (to me) uniquely Thai. And thusly, let the Thai bashing continue smile.png

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 2

Because the Thai bashers are a tightly knit group. The all "like" eachothers posts.

So in fact it's all about getting as much "likes" as possible.

Yermanee wai.gif

All I hear when you speak is 'Tits' and 'beer'.

I'm sorry. It was not my intention to get you over-excited facepalm.gif

Yermanee wai.gif

There are people who have to speak bad about other people so they get the (misplaced) feeling they are superior.

yeah there is one of those on the chaing rai forum it should be named after him as he even thinks you have to ask him to move there

A simplistic definition calls the Vikings those people who lived in Scandinavia and the North Atlantic settlements in the Viking age, with the Viking age arbitrarily defined as the years between 793 and 1066 what happened to the Vikings? Nothing happened to them. After the Viking age, the Northmen continued living their lives in the Scandinavian countries, and in the settlements created during the Viking age, such as Iceland and Greenland. The end of the Vikings occurred when the Northmen stopped raiding.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

EyesWideOpen, on 26 Apr 2014 - 00:04, said:Quote

Hmmm this is a tricky question. OK I will try and give it a shot. Let's say hypothetically that you went

to visit a perfect country. Say it was full of smiling friendly people, nobody ever cheated you, and every
time you visited the country you had the time of your life . Nobody would speak badly about such a

country. Now let's say hypothetically you went to visit another country, and people kept trying scams on you,

lady-boys kept trying to pickpocket you, the police keep trying ways to get money from you for imagined

offenses, the friends you know there got cleaned out by evil bar girls, or were drugged and robbed, and the

newspapers are full of stories of the local men going berserk over trivial matters and killing tourists .....

What do you think people would speak about when referring to this place ?? Good or bad ??

So in my opinion that fact that so many people refer to Thailand poorly means something is wrong.

I personally am here for the mangoes, and have little interest in Thai society at large. I do like to keep

up on the news and crime so I know what to avoid..... :-)

Hypothetically EWO, where is your nirvana?

In my experience, I have never travelled to or lived in a perfect country, which for me anyway would jade the example you present above.

Just sayin'.............................wink.png

For me, the reason we see so much Thai bashing, is that a lot of people are narrow minded in that they expect the rest of the world to conform to what they are used to. In short, selfish and arrogant people.

Another class, which has been highlighted in previous posts, are the non-achievers in their own countries who, for some reason find themselves elevated to a higher level or tier of society here.

Then of course there are the ones who have been ripped off, had bad experiences or found that their planning for a life-style change by moving to a new country has not met their expectations. These, IMHO, are the ones who maybe have a right to 'bash'. Unfortunately a lot of them can't let go and move on with their lives, but would rather retain their experiences and not try something different. In effect, generalize everything because of one bad day.

Again, IMHO, not everyone is suited to be an expat. If you are unable to live in the here and now instead of relying on benchmarks from the home country, or are unable to adapt, improvise and overcome your new environment, then you probably would be happier (for a time anyway) using the return part of your flight ticket.

No dig at you EWO, just some observations on what I see and hear.........................rolleyes.gif

Edit: sorry, forgot to mention the old. From them this behavior would be expected as bitching is associated with the aging process. Sorry, no statistics to support this, perhaps grounds for another thread, if anyone would dare..........................tongue.png

Edited by chrisinth

Any form of criticism of Thailand is usually labelled as "Thai bashing" by the apologists who can seldom make a decent counter argument to any legitimate criticism other than roll out the usual tired old nonsense like "You're a guest here...if you don't like it leave" balls, or some climb on their moral high horse from where they look down their noses and express outrage at others then spout nonsense as to how people with valid gripes about Thailand must be struggling with life here because they have failed to embrace the culture and grovel around all things Thai while they themselves often lack the understanding of Thailand to realise that many of the gripes here are often the pet gripes of the Thais themselves...

• Like 1

Any form of criticism of Thailand is usually labelled as "Thai bashing" by the apologists who can seldom make a decent counter argument to any legitimate criticism other than roll out the usual tired old nonsense like "You're a guest here...if you don't like it leave" balls, or some climb on their moral high horse from where they look down their noses and express outrage at others then spout nonsense as to how people with valid gripes about Thailand must be struggling with life here because they have failed to embrace the culture and grovel around all things Thai while they themselves often lack the understanding of Thailand to realise that many of the gripes here are often the pet gripes of the Thais themselves...

Fact is put the "bashers" in any country other than their own and they will start bashing, they can't help themselves... Its not a Thailand specific thing

All the apologists in one barrel.....how sweet.

So this thread could be a great way of outing them ??? cheesy.gif

shhhhhh......

Leave them be! Isn't it hilarious to see the mighty white man come charging in on their mighty steeds to defend the poor little Thais against those evil 'faLang' every time...?

• Like 1

Racist, bigoted and defamatory comments regarding all aspects of the Thai people and Thailand. I estimate that the negative comments have become the majority and way out number the positive attitudes on here.

This says a lot about the types of Westerners who are plonking themselves into the country and joining the forums on Thai visa. Please be assured that the Immigration departments read these threads and are noted, comments and viewpoints that can go against all of us. If not careful Thai visa is going to become known as anti Thai visa and used as a platform for the racist and bigoted rants of those with extremist views, the crank elements and the losers with grudges to bear.

Of course it couldn't be because there is truth in what they are saying? That the Thai smile is a fake, the xenophobia is real, the land is polluted, the opportunities are not really there, or require lots of flamed hoops and under handed tea money. No, couldn't be.

Are you quite sure Thai " bashers" aren't merely those fed up with the lies, the hypocrisy , the border stamp runs, the driving, the abysmal regard for safety, the face saving above all else mentality ?

Racist? Thais are not a race, though many seem to believe they are. They are Asian, and many Asian countries are very successful- without ripping off whitey to do so .

In fact, Thais are about as bigotted and racist a culture as it gets - see any dark skinned TV presenters? Leaders? Bank executives?

I would submit the Thai aoplogist is actually the one who is a bit blinkered to reality, and quite likely has a Thai partner to deal with other Thais for them. I would also submit, from what I read here in way of discourse based on pendantics , the IQ of the average male ex pat is a bit on the low side and they are predominately are here for tits and beer. They are actually quite exploitative.

I'd even argue they probably like living amongst the legions of uneducated and economically depressed Thais so they can feel somewhat intelligent and monetarily endowed by comparison. ( mmmm endowed, is there a genital proportions thing going on, too? )

Edited by EBlair48
  • Like 2

What a load of crap....I'm sure Immigration have probably never heard of this forum. You really do talk some nonsense at times....

• Like 1

What a load of crap....I'm sure Immigration have probably never heard of this forum. You really do talk some nonsense at times....

Even if it was true, TV's finest have concluded 99.9 % of the Thai population can't communicate in an acceptable level of English anyway, so one suspects immigration wouldn't have a clue what's being written

Further the vast majority of TV posters can't construct a coherent rant in English anyway...

There is no harm in a little constructive criticism, but I suggest you spend some time and check out some of the threads on Thai visa from present dating back about 12 months. You will find that many go way, way, beyond the point of criticism and the odd bitch about things, but rather take the issues of Thai bashing to the extremes, that would be regarded in most Western countries as outright racism and commented abuse. In fact a lot of this stuff would be classified as illegal in my home country.

I very much doubt that any Thais would consider being described as smelly nose pickers, unhygienic, stupid, ignorant, backward, violent, corrupt, cheats, liars, lazy, uneducated and that most of their women being those of ill repute as pet gripes that they would use as an in-house humourous way to describe themselves. As I said; take a look at some of these threads, all that I have mentioned is there.

Problem is that the actions of the brain dead who make these comments are not doing themselves any favours or the rest of us that will eventually decrease the tolerance levels that the Thais have towards Western ex-pats living in Thailand.

I think if this Thai bashing trend continues or escalates, then many ex-pats are going to find Thai visa as a big turn off, stop participating and leave these forums to the extremists. I hope this does not happen.

Edited by Beetlejuice

+ 1 [thumbs up as I cannot effectively convey my meaning through writing smiley]

Do you think it could be because more and more people have more and more bad experience with Thailand and Thai people??

Or do you think it is because there are simply more unhappy people who like to make things up?

There is no harm in a little constructive criticism, but I suggest you spend some time and check out some of the threads on Thai visa from present dating back about 12 months. You will find that many go way, way, beyond the point of criticism and the odd bitch about things, but rather take the issues of Thai bashing to the extremes, that would be regarded in most Western countries as outright racism and commented abuse. In fact a lot of this stuff would be classified as illegal in my home country.

I very much doubt that any Thais would consider being described as smelly nose pickers, unhygienic, stupid, ignorant, backward, violent, corrupt, cheats, liars, lazy, uneducated and that most of their women being those of ill repute as pet gripes that they would use as an in-house humourous way to describe themselves. As I said; take a look at some of these threads, all that I have mentioned is there.

Problem is that the actions of the brain dead who make these comments are not doing themselves any favours or the rest of us that will eventually decrease the tolerance levels that the Thais have towards Western ex-pats living in Thailand.

I think if this Thai bashing trend continues or escalates, then many ex-pats are going to find Thai visa as a big turn off, stop participating and leave these forums to the extremists. I hope this does not happen.

In fact a lot of this stuff would be classified as illegal in my home country.

Well now we know why you are so intolerant of other's opinions

decrease the tolerance levels that the Thais have towards Western ex-pats living in Thailand.

As if it could get lower. No worries , it's all about getting money off whitey, they aren't going to slaughter their cash cows.

I only wish these types of comments I make now were allowed a decade ago when I was perusing the site with a mind to move here, when the only dissenter allowed was Tony Clifton. If I could've read my comments then- I would have probably made a different decision.

So maybe this is actually saving Thaiand from expats that would bash it even further. They read what a joke it is and decide on Malaysia instead...

I stated on another thread, many ex pats need other expats to come to Thailnd to support business. So shutting up harsh opinions is really a form of censorship.

But I guess if you're used to censorship......

Edited by EBlair48

there is a difference between thai bashing and being honest. No one is perfect but when you come across people with attitudes that are not as bad in many other countries it can frustrate the best of us. Bad education also helps this, face, arrogance, lack of concern for others, it all adds up. It is not all thais but it certainly is a lot of them. I find most of the thais I meet are great people, they come from poor families that have had to give up a lot for them to advance themselves and you couldnt ask for nicer people(business managers, police officers, pilots, doctors etc), they appreciate the chance they have been given and maintain their true thai background of respect for others and in return get even more respect for themselves.

All countries have faults, its just that Thailand is trying to be a first world country with third world thinking, many of its people are not capable of doing it, they still think using "entitlement" and therefore ignore everyone else and what is correct. Commenting on these people is telling the truth, saying hateful statements about thais in general is bashing.

What do you think is Thai bashing?

I read one page of one poster and pulled these quotes. "the Thai smile is a fake, the land is polluted, the opportunities are not really there, or require lots of flamed hoops and under handed tea money. fed up with the lies, the hypocrisy , the border stamp runs, the driving, the abysmal regard for safety, the face saving above all else mentality. Thais are about as bigotted and racist a culture as it gets. poppng pimples - gawd that one is as nasty as it gets, too. Vanity and grossness rolled into one. Gawd just.... disgusting. Thais throw trash everywhere and pick their noses and have a serious hygiene deficiency. she is a moron, apparently, or insipid, or both. Seems to be a national condition. Note how the walls in their homes are black filthy or covered with pink mold.

End of quote.

Would you say the above person is Thai basher?

Thai bashing? these people where ever they live will find things wrong with the locals. even in their home country they are the same just people who like to bitch

There's nothing wrong with Thai bashing if you are also prepared to mention the positives, and they far outweigh the negatives. ie the majority of Thai people are honest and decent, and I sincerely mean that, until you see some asshol-s throwing buckets of water at motorcyclists during Songcran, but there are Farang asshol-es also, who do the same.

• Like 1

there is a difference between thai bashing and being honest. No one is perfect but when you come across people with attitudes that are not as bad in many other countries it can frustrate the best of us. Bad education also helps this, face, arrogance, lack of concern for others, it all adds up. It is not all thais but it certainly is a lot of them. I find most of the thais I meet are great people, they come from poor families that have had to give up a lot for them to advance themselves and you couldnt ask for nicer people(business managers, police officers, pilots, doctors etc), they appreciate the chance they have been given and maintain their true thai background of respect for others and in return get even more respect for themselves.

All countries have faults, its just that Thailand is trying to be a first world country with third world thinking, many of its people are not capable of doing it, they still think using "entitlement" and therefore ignore everyone else and what is correct. Commenting on these people is telling the truth, saying hateful statements about thais in general is bashing.

What do you think is Thai bashing?

I read one page of one poster and pulled these quotes. "the Thai smile is a fake, the land is polluted, the opportunities are not really there, or require lots of flamed hoops and under handed tea money. fed up with the lies, the hypocrisy , the border stamp runs, the driving, the abysmal regard for safety, the face saving above all else mentality. Thais are about as bigotted and racist a culture as it gets. poppng pimples - gawd that one is as nasty as it gets, too. Vanity and grossness rolled into one. Gawd just.... disgusting. Thais throw trash everywhere and pick their noses and have a serious hygiene deficiency. she is a moron, apparently, or insipid, or both. Seems to be a national condition. Note how the walls in their homes are black filthy or covered with pink mold.

End of quote.

Would you say the above person is Thai basher?

Nope, seems about right. Glad to hear someone else is disgusted by the public pimple popping as well.... In all my visits to Isan, do not recall any black walls, that could be a one off experience for that poster ...... :-) I believe that Thais are far more racist than we are, which I consider amazing. We are driving around a rover on Mars, and yet Thais consider themselves above farangs. Funny stuff..

• Like 1

Thai bashing? these people where ever they live will find things wrong with the locals. even in their home country they are the same just people who like to bitch

There's nothing wrong with Thai bashing if you are also prepared to mention the positives, and they far outweigh the negatives. ie the majority of Thai people are honest and decent, and I sincerely mean that, until you see some asshol-s throwing buckets of water at motorcyclists during Songcran, but there are Farang asshol-es also, who do the same.

I think it is a definition thing. The rule is, "11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand.

What is a slur? An insulting or disparaging remark or innuendo.

Is, "Thais throw trash everywhere and pick their noses and have a serious hygiene deficiency" an insulting or disparaging remark? I think it is. It may be true but truth has nothing to do with the rule as I see it. Now I could be wrong about that. Lots of people here I'm sure can advise.

• Like 2

Actually , believe it or not, I like living in Thailand . Weather is great, food is delicious, and the cost of

living is cheap. But that fact certainly does not stop me from make bemused commentary on what

I see is bizarre here. If I moved to a country where the custom was to cut off the right arm of an infant,

I would make a negative commentary about that as well . I think that there are a lot of issues

that supersede the " my culture / your culture" issues. It falls under a sort of standardized human behavior,

and by that standard there is indeed a lot wrong with Thai culture.

Still feels like change is slowly coming, in part prompted by social media . You now see outrage on the

part of Thai people on issues like the hiso teen girl that killed the 9 people on the expressway. I suspect

20 years ago you never would have heard a peep.....

• Like 2