Santika executive gets jail for failure to pay tax

Lite Beer

Santika executive gets jail for failure to pay tax
Kesinee Taengkhiao
The Nation April 26, 2014 1:00 am

30232266-01_big.gif

Visuk: Avoided Bt85m in taxes

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court yesterday sentenced a key executive of the Santika Night Club - which was engulfed in a deadly inferno during a countdown party in the early hours of 2009 - to one year in jail for excise-tax evasion.

Visuk Setsawat, the managing director of White and Brothers (2003) Co Ltd, was found guilty of not filing excise-tax forms while running the upscale nightclub in Bangkok between 2003 and 2008 to avoid paying Bt85.38 million in excise tax. And that had caused damage to the Excise Department.

Due to the huge amount of evaded tax, the Criminal Court decided not to suspend Visuk's jail term.

The defendant yesterday presented a land-title deed, worth more than Bt3 million, to secure his temporary release on bail.

His lawyer also vowed to appeal against the verdict.

Previously, Visuk successfully fought against a verdict in another case after the Court of Appeals overturned a lower court's ruling against him in relation to the fire.

On October 22 last year, the Court of Appeals acquitted Visuk even though the lower court sentenced him to three years in jail for recklessness leading to the death and injuries of others, as well as several other charges related to the blaze.

The entertainment venue apparently had too few fire exits, making it impossible for many patrons to escape the fire.

The fire started during a special-effects show and killed 59 people on site. More than 200 others were injured, eight of whom later died.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-26

'Due to the huge amount of evaded tax, the Criminal Court decided not to suspend Visuk's jail term'

It seems like judges here work very hard on 'suspending' jail terms for the rich.

He evaded paying over 80 million Baht in taxes. How could anyone even for a second consider suspending his jail term? And now he's out on bail. I guess he has important stuff to before he definitely goes to prison for a full year.

I've read several different sources of this story and, nowhere do I see a financial penalty imposed; not even the original 85.36 million Baht owed to the taxpayers. I would gladly spend one year in prison to keep that amount in taxes for myself. Not bad pay for the one year in prison where I can buy the luxuries available to those who afford them. That said, I wouldn't bet that he will ever go to prison. He's got too many ranking police friends/partners to actually have to pay back to society what he stole. Certainly he stole lives unnecessarily. I do hope Karma is a real thing. This guy has a lot to answer for.

'Due to the huge amount of evaded tax, the Criminal Court decided not to suspend Visuk's jail term'

It seems like judges here work very hard on 'suspending' jail terms for the rich.

He evaded paying over 80 million Baht in taxes. How could anyone even for a second consider suspending his jail term? And now he's out on bail. I guess he has important stuff to before he definitely goes to prison for a full year.

No it appears that this is the second time that this prick has passed the exact size of brown envelope to the Criminal court. Everyone can be bought here. And the "haves" know this.