In Praise Of Dtac

plaroma

Hi All,

My prepaid DTAC sim card, which I have had for about four years suddenly parted company last week along with my mobile.

I knew his was bound to happen one day so I was prepared and had an old list with most of the names and 'phone numbers stored. I was dreading the thought of having to re-enter all the numbers and to inform friends, etc. I also looked on the bright side and was thinking of the opportunity not to inform some people of my new number!

The other day I heard of a Thai friend who actually got her prepaid Dtac sim card replaced, but not at the first outlet she tried!

I trotted off to Paragon Center, eventually found the recommended Dtac Center (close to the luxury car section), after waiting about five minutes I told the delightful young lady of my predicament.

She asked for the telephone number, three other numbers I had recently called and my passport.

The delightful lady accepted my business card and a card of a colleague, also my UK driver's licence (complete with photo'). She then pulled out a blank sim card, programmed the number and told me it would take about 15 minutes to activate.

This took about five minutes maximum and there was no charge for this service!

Surprise, surprise, when my 'phone was active I checked the balance and it also had about 100 baht credit remaining.

Isn't life wonderful!

Cheers,

I knew his was bound to happen one day so I was prepared and had an old list with most of the names and 'phone numbers stored.

There are several programmes around that allow you to read, store and reload the numbers from your phone.

If you have a notebook with IR or a pc with Bluetooth it is really easy.

Otherwise a small cable is involved.

BTW DTAC will also issue a duplicate SIM card wth the same number if you phone is stolen.

They transfer your credit and blocking the old card.

You must report the theft to the police first..

Surprise, surprise, when my 'phone was active I checked the balance and it also had about 100 baht credit remaining.

Isn't life wonderful!

Cheers,

Been there, done that. Good innit!

As Astral says, you normally have to get the police to complete a form which you present to the Dtac shop and they give you another SIM.