Massive beach refill project could begin in May

Rimmer

Massive beach refill project could begin in May

n9PBTA.jpg

PATTAYA:--Pattaya officials hope to launch a 468 million baht beach-restoration project in May, hiring a contractor to rebuild the shoreline before it is wiped out by erosion.

Speaking at the Pattaya Business & Tourism Association’s April 9 meeting at the Grand Sole Hotel, Marine Department manager Raewat Potriang said the city currently is taking bids from contractors for the three-phase project and hopes to hire a company to begin work next month.

The first work will be done in adding sand to the beach between the Dusit Curve and Central Road. The second phase runs to South Road while the third phase restores shoreline down to Bali Hai Pier.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/massive-beach-refill-project-could-begin-in-may-37014#sthash.QkrLWYbn.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2014-04-26 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Are they going to do any work to keep the sand there? Or prevent the new promenade from being washed away.

If they don't they will end up with a beach front like Kingscliff in northern NSW Australia. The beach side caravan park has lost a number of cottages to the tides.

Are they going to do any work to keep the sand there? Or prevent the new promenade from being washed away.

If they don't they will end up with a beach front like Kingscliff in northern NSW Australia. The beach side caravan park has lost a number of cottages to the tides.

No, no, and yes. Beach erosion and restoration projects are complex./dynamic. I doubt Pattaya City has a qualified civil engineer for this project

So they dont have qualified civil engineers in Australia either ??

Edited by morrobay

No, no, and yes. Beach erosion and restoration projects are complex./dynamic. I doubt Pattaya City has a qualified civil engineer for this project

Plenty of civil engineers and lots who are not that civil. The trouble is having the money, political will and desire to construct something that will handle a couple of winter storms and still have a beach. Mother nature can be a very hash mistress if you get in the way.

Libellous post against me for the above I take it ? I criticize all nationalities in all situations where indicated.

Especially in the U.S. So dont take it personally Hoss.

Libellous post against me for the above I take it ? I criticize all nationalities in all situations where indicated.

If it was your post then it would no longer be there would it. Doh!!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If it was your post then it would no longer be there would it. Doh!!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Quite a misunderstanding on your part ! : Someone else made the libellous post that was removed. In response to my comment (post #4) about lack of civil engineering in Australia.

I have no clue how you interpreted otherwise ?

Edited by morrobay

News of a project greeted with the usual sneers. Yet all the chronic complainers about beach erosion esp that increased, supposedly, by the new promenade should be cheering now. Where are they?

• Like 1

News of a project greeted with the usual sneers. Yet all the chronic complainers about beach erosion esp that increased, supposedly, by the new promenade should be cheering now. Where are they?

Have you seen the results of the old project at North end of beach ? The decaying giant sandbags exposed

on North end of beach. The sneers are because this new project is a copy of that mess. No, beach erosion

increased and undermined part of the new promenade resulting in breakup and collapse in front of Holiday

Inn - as a result of old project. Ie the sandbags slowed the North - South current, causing sand to be dropped.

Then when current passed obstruction (sandbags) it picked up velocity and sand.

The decaying giant sandbags exposed on North end of beach. The sneers are because this new project is a copy of that mess.

No, the sneers are just the usual cynical prediction of DOOM arising from a need to feel smarter and superior to the stupid Thais. In fact it was predicted the authorities would do nothing at all, just leave it eroded and getting worse. Well, they recognized the problem (everyone agrees there's a problem, so you don't have anything new there) and are now following up w/ a lot more than putting down a few temporary sandbags. So, as with the new promenade, let's wait till it's finished and then see how well it works.

That's where I go sometimes and have a beer at sunset, not really Pattaya beach, its at the bottom of Soi5 Pratumnak, there are no vendors at this, the far end, and the area is filthy as is the beach, not just tidal stuff, the whole beach.

"Sands" are building an up market condo behind here, and are telling potential buyers that they are going to pull this car park down and make it beach, as it was built illegally.

Centraa have opened a new luxury hotel in the area, but made no effort to clean the beach area up

very odd, the places they are putting the sandbags are close to where the water flows thru but not, that part of Pattaya Klang has a wall so the water goes round the sides and not where the bags are going. another funny one is opposite Central Festival where the wall washed away three times last wet season. they obviously cant figure out why and decided to take out the road curb and lower the footpath so road water can go straight thru to the beach. I personally doubt it will make a difference because the water is coming from under the road but I know for sure it wont make a difference because the beach people have already sandbagged up the new water exit point. Its going to be an interesting wet season this year I suspect.