Booking a train ticket in Bangkok

angsta

without actually visiting the train station. Is this possible and if so how?

Thanks,

angsta::

ps I want to go south on a Thursday night to Surat or Chumpon. What are the chances of getting a bed (air-con or fan) if I just turned up in the late afternoon?

Thanks.

I guess you are out of luck with online booking

Looking here http://www.thairailticket.com/esrt/?language=1

it says:

Online booking is still unavailable.

And from here http://www.thaizer.com/travel-in-thailand/how-to-buy-thailand-train-tickets-online/

it says

Update February, 2013:
State Railway of Thailand temporarily suspended the online booking service in mid-January 2013. It is hoped that the service will resume, but at the moment it is unclear if/when online ticketing will be available again.

You can go to any train station to buy your tickets. You don't have to go to Hua Lapong to do it.

There are also some travel agents that will get them for you for a fee.

If you seriously want a sleeper birth I suggest you buy your ticket in advance.

You can buy train tickets at some travel agents. SI Travel on Pan Road (about 100-200 meters from Silom Road on right hand side) sell train tickets and don't charge a booking fee. Pan Road is where the popular Hindi Temple is. Nearest BTS is Surasak.

This past September I booked a sleeper from BKK to Ubon, and 5 days later, booked a sleeper from Ubon to Ayutthaya. In both cases I purchased the ticket at the station around noon, and left that evening. Maybe it was just dumb luck, but never had a problem.

You can often book same day to Surat Thani but you may get stuck with UPPER bunk.

Would suggest LOWER is much better option.

Also, 2nd Class Air-Con is better than paying First Class since you get some air circulation in 2nd and none in 1st.

I only suggest this in case you are new at this.

You can call the number on the SRT website and book your ticket. They speak good English. Then you need to pay and pick up the ticket, at any station, within 24 hours. Works very well.

I have had same experirnce as Naroge , Great Service and excellent english skills.

You can call the number on the SRT website and book your ticket. They speak good English. Then you need to pay and pick up the ticket, at any station, within 24 hours. Works very well.

You mean this one:

Press 9 for English

Press 9 for State Railway

Only disadvantage to this one compared to the travel agent above is you can pay credit card and reserve good bunk days in advance with travel agent.

Otherwise, this option is a good one.

Also, if you are traveling at holiday, the state railway may no longer have tickets but the travel agents will because they buy a block of them.

But this was a great suggestion.

I do the CM-B'kok - B'kok -Butterworth and return every year. I have to do the CM-B part well in advance (at least a month) because much of the train is already taken for tour groups. In CM you can go to any tourist agency and they will do it for you at a price. Usually it is 100 Baht for each ticket - but may have gone up. I do it myself with a red taxi now. Very much cheaper.

By the way, now you must take some ID with you. If it is a passport, info will be printed on your ticket. Won't give you a ticket without.

Why is it such a big problem to go to Hua Lumpung?

Because it's a waste of time if you can buy from a travel agent within walking distance of where you live or are staying. Most people don't want to waste their time. They have better things to do than travel to buy train tickets. Maybe you live nearby or don't have anything better to do.

thailandtrainticket.com

I used it once. Very good.

You can't buy train tickets on that site any longer.

I remember contacting them through email a year ago.

When did they tell you they can't book anymore?

Sent from my G2S using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You mean this one:

Press 9 for English

Press 9 for State Railway

Only disadvantage to this one compared to the travel agent above is you can pay credit card and reserve good bunk days in advance with travel agent.

Otherwise, this option is a good one.

Also, if you are traveling at holiday, the state railway may no longer have tickets but the travel agents will because they buy a block of them.

But this was a great suggestion.

I paid with credit card when I picked up my ticket at the station, and booking was done a few weeks in advance.