Purchase of Motorcycle without Thailand visa

smotherb

A friend in Laos would like to buy a big bike in Thailand, legally register it and be able to go into and out of Laos.

1) can he legally buy a big bike and register it in Thailand if he does not have a Thai visa--only a visa upon arrival?

2) would Thailand place any restrictions on his taking the big bike into Laos or when he returns it to Thailand

• Like 1

I've purchased small and big bikes with just the 30 day stamp, but you need a Residency Certificate, which means you need an address (it's been awhile now but IIRC I had to provide a copy of the house book and copy of the owner's ID card to get the Certificate).

As for riding into Laos - here is an article from GT Rider - http://www.gt-rider.com/touring-information-overview/s-e-asian-border-crossings - it should have all the info you need.

• Like 1

You need a certificate of residency so you need be living somewhere,

taking bkes in and out so no problem but each time you go into laos you need buy insurance for Laos

max 30 days

Nong khai lets you use the bridge but they wont let you in Chiang Khong

gt riders has all the info u need

just curious: why not buying a bike in laos? i ask since i recently PM a laos member about that.

by the end of the year i'd like to buy a bike in laos, travel laos and then border-cross into whatever country i'll be heading to.

He wants a big bike and he says in Laos the price is high and the selection is limited.

just curious: why not buying a bike in laos? i ask since i recently PM a laos member about that.

by the end of the year i'd like to buy a bike in laos, travel laos and then border-cross into whatever country i'll be heading to.

He wants a big bike and he says in Laos the price is high and the selection is limited.