Best area of Chiang Mai for children

tlchurch1

Hello, I'm a high school English teacher in PA, USA, taking sabbatical next year to live in Bali in Sept/Oct and Thailand from Nov - May. I'll be in Chiang Mai area with my wife and three young children from November 2014 - February 2015. Any recomendations as to good areas for us to live in? We're looking for convenience to public transportation, close to a natural area where kids can play, safe, comfortable, family oriented, more local than expat populated. Suggestions/possibilities would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, we live in San Pu Loei near Doi Sukhet which is very family friendly, close to farms and open spaces, but also not far from Big C. It has a good little village shopping area and is very quiet and safe. Only problem at the moment is you need transport (car or bike) as there is virtually no public transport there.

Edited by Elfin

Top of Huay Keow Road.

Big park, near the jungle, close to the zoo, plenty of cheap food as University area, swimming pool at uni, easy access to center of town, two shopping malls close by.

Doi Saket is 20Km out of town, no public transport after 7pm, 30min ride when there is.

House rental usually 1 year, no condos in Doi Saket.

What sort of accom. are you looking for?

Houses are hard for less than a year, two bed serviced condo isn't a problem.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

^ Yes, or way down Suthep road. That's a dead end to the mountain so traffic is moderate, and it's not far from town.

Then again, anywhere not in a gated community means young kids shouldn't be on the road outside due to speeding traffic. So while I'm not the biggest fan of commercial gated developments, they do serve a purpose when you have kids as they can actually play outside with some safety.

It's just two months though so in your case I'd pick something less artificial. So end of Suthep Rd, possibly down the sois to Wat Umong, which is a beautiful and area with lots of nature nearby.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

What about off Suthep towards Umong area or Jed Yod?

Do you plan on having a car here or only relying on public transport. The people drive awful here, but the roads are a hell of a lot better than 202, 1, 81 and the rest of the roads back home....