Abhisit floats 'minor reforms'

webfact

Abhisit floats 'minor reforms'
JINTANA PANYAARVUDH
THE NATION

30232360-01_big.jpg?1398639453368

Plan calls for poll restrictions before an election, to be followed by larger moves

BANGKOK: -- FIVE DAYS after launching a proposal to seek talks with all stakeholders in the political stand-off, Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva appeared hopeful yesterday that his proposal to end the six-month-long crisis would succeed.

"It is a difficult task to make all people in the conflict accept [my proposal]. But it would be the last chance for me to try for the sake of the country. I do it with hope [of achievement]," the Democrat leader said in an exclusive interview with Nation Group yesterday.

His idea was generally welcomed by people involved in the impasse, including caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

"It will be worrying if the country is still in a stalemate once I have recovered [from a recent injury], because I foresee more tense conflicts ahead in the next two weeks," he said.

Abhisit still wears a sling to accommodate a soft cast attached to his right shoulder, which he broke in an accident in late March. A metal rod that was installed internally to support the broken bone became dislocated after he overdid his physical therapy.

A doctor will remove the metal rod in the next two or three months, earlier than originally scheduled.

Abhisit continues to keep his proposal details secret, but insists it abides by the Constitution. Although it was his party that boycotted the February 2 election, which was eventually nullified, he did not reject the poll being held.

"Reform has to begin before an election, but it [the results of the reform] would not be complete before the election, because the process would take a long time," he said.

He stressed the importance of making the election fair, acceptable and peaceful.

"I admit that eventually we have to cast a ballot but I don't agree with the saying that an election is the only answer. You can see in several foreign countries that it [an election] is not," he said.

He noted that his proposal would make sure that those who wanted to see reform would get what they wanted, and those who wanted an election would see a peaceful election as well.

He hinted that there would be a "minor" reform before any election.

For example, the Election Commission (EC) needed to make the election clean and fair and issue a regulation to limit or ban excessive populist policies, as they would lead to irresponsible election campaigning.

At the same time, voters needed to be convinced that if they went to the poll it would be one of the fairest, and they would see real reform after it.

"If all stakeholders agree with my proposal we need to be able to convince people that the reform will eventually take place and [the promise] cannot be broken," he said, adding that no negotiation on any criminal case is in his proposal.

The EC will meet with the caretaker government on April 30 and the poll agency said it would propose July 20 as an election date. Abhisit said if the date was set on that day, there would not be enough time to implement his proposal.

"My proposal would take more time than that," he said.

If Yingluck welcomed his proposal, she should not set the election date, but should listen to and consider his proposal first, he said.

The hardest part now was that the two political camps were extremely divided. Moreover, both camps thought they could eventually win what they'd been fighting for.

"I'm realistic. I don't think everybody will win everything he or she wants," he said.

He clarified that he does not see his role as a mediator, facilitator, broker, or non-partisan. He said his initiative came from his own decision.

"I am just proposing a realistic solution. I'm not above the conflict and should not have played this role. But I want to ask all of you, is there anyone who is not a part of the conflict?" he said.

If there was no progress by this week he would end his role, he said.

Asked if his party members would contest the next election, he said if others accepted his proposal his party's members should accept it too.

Abhisit planned to meet with the main rivals, Yingluck and People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) leader Suthep Thaugsuban, later. Abhisit is meeting with Armed Forces Supreme Commander General Tanasak Patima-pragorn today and the EC tomorrow.

He was ready to talk to ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra if his sister Yingluck was not able to make her own decision as head of the government. But he personally had no desire to talk with the fugitive ex-premier.

He said Suthep had neither seen nor known about his proposal. He insisted his proposal would be the answer for the reform that Suthep and the PDRC wanted, but his means and the PDRC's methods, would be different.

He also denied his proposal was related to the proposal by the Man of State group, which wants Privy Council President General Prem Tinsulanonda to seek a royal command to help end the political crisis.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-28

• Like 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice headline...

Glad I didn't hold my breath.

Well ...he has given himself a week to float this "minor reform"..whatever it is...

My question is What next...? what if whatever this minor reform is doesn't float..? Business as usual? Boycott elections again?

- go forward with the election and we make a promise to reform that we must keep...if the EC can guarantee a clean election, and put a constriction on campaign promises.....why not take the plunge for real reform as has been touted and start by sacking the entire EC as well...

Hopefully he will have something more substantive to say before he ends his role.

• Like 1

I see the PTP keyboard warriors are up early this morning, giving the usual,

we will not listen to any one who does not agree with us

Our Way or No Way

"I'm realistic. I don't think everybody will win everything he or she wants," he said.

I thought this is what we finally want to hear, a compromise, but that will not suit the PTP Keybosrd warriors

He was ready to talk to ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra if his sister Yingluck was not able to make her own decision as head of the government.

This put Yingluck straight into defensive mode as she now must admit who is running Thailand, her or her brother

It my not be the perfect solution, but way ahead of what any one else has put foward

Fact:

Miracles can happen

My Thai Wife has never liked Abhisit, as we live in the North

But this morning I fell off my chair when she said to her mother

He is a good man and loves Thailand

People change like the wind......

Abhisit continues to keep his proposal details secret,

Upon first reading this, I assumed he was referring to the details surrounding his "accident".

Now I understand he is referring to "secret reforms".

They're so good he wants to surprise everyone.

Edited by lomatopo

Our Way or No Way

I thought this is what we finally want to hear, a compromise, but that will not suit the PTP Keybosrd warriors

He was ready to talk to ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra if his sister Yingluck was not able to make her own decision as head of the government.

This put Yingluck straight into defensive mode as she now must admit who is running Thailand, her or her brother

It my not be the perfect solution, but way ahead of what any one else has put foward

Fact:

Miracles can happen

haha so it's ok because your wife says "he's a good man and loves Thailand" lol

Fact:

he doesn't have the support of the vast majority of Thais - don't believe? hold an ELECTION

me GF has never liked Abhisit, as we live in Thailand

This morning my GF still doesn't like him and said so to our cat

"he's still the same sneaky, self-centered and self-serving guy and loves himself first, second and last" - the cat smiled and nodded knowingly

he doesn't have the support of the vast majority of Thais - don't believe? hold an ELECTION

And the only reason for that is because the majority of the population in Thailand is dirt poor and uneducated, and believe in populist policies rather than an economic policies.

People who have been educated should know that populist regimes never work and have failed all over the world.

" People who have been educated should know that populist regimes never work and have failed all over the world "

I agree, which means that there are a lot of uneducated posters here on TV,

• Like 1

Included in any reform package should be the abolishion of immunity prosecution for serving MP.'s. This serves little purpose execpt to encourage malfeasant activity. MP's should be held totally responsible for their actions.

the reason there ARE so many problems is that MP's do not have that immunity and so serving PM get's hauled up for just about anything

reform should begin not with what you suggest but lese majeste and the judiciary - two tools used for nefarious purposes and draconian in the extreme - to reform them would bring support and peace

• Like 2

This entire article and his "proposal" re a laugher. The Abhisit makes absolutely no statement of reform. Not even one. The article does state that his reform proposal is a secret. This is total duplicity. Abhisit also states that reform must start before elections.

He just refuses to clarify any reform issues into a coherent platform. He just doesn't get that potential candidates should campaign their reform points as a platform. people would then vote for a candidate based on their reform platform.

Why is Abhisit keeping his supposed reform proposal a secret? He doesn't seem to have a clue as to how to construct a coherent reform platform and campaign that platform. Thais don't have any idea what this man stands for for his vision for Thailand and how to get there.

My guess is that any reforms benefiting the 'people' wink.png would be popular with the electorate but not with the minority pulling the strings. So he must watch his back ph34r.png

Edited by jpeg

Abhisit continues to keep his proposal details secret,

Upon first reading this, I assumed he was referring to the details surrounding his "accident".

Now I understand he is referring to "secret reforms".

They're so good he wants to surprise everyone.

No, he want to keep them under wraps while he has meetings with various functions during the next 10 days.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Our Way or No Way

Fact:

Miracles can happen

Fact:

"he's still the same sneaky, self-centered and self-serving guy and loves himself first, second and last" - the cat smiled and nodded knowingly

And the only reason for that is because the majority of the population in Thailand is dirt poor and uneducated, and believe in populist policies rather than an economic policies.

People who have been educated should know that populist regimes never work and have failed all over the world.

bit like Africa then? or Syria? Afghanistan? let's not hold election there either!!!

can you imagine Nelson Mandela not having elections in South Africa "because the majority of the population is dirt poor and uneducated"

I don't recall any of the countries you mention running a populist regime.

Countries i know from recent history are Greece and Italy and Venezuela. I'm sure they are high on your list of economic super powers.

See any similarities between Chavez, Berlusconi and Thaksin ?

Edited by JesseFrank
  • Like 1

Our Way or No Way

Fact:

Miracles can happen

Fact:

whereas dictatorships are so successful ...

Unfortunately your hero's (Thaksin) regime borders close to dictatorship as well

Sounds about the most sensible and lucid of all the comments made about solving the crisis, among the various leadership. Compare this to the simplistic 'have an election' we keep hearing from Noppadom, or Yingluck or Chalerm. In an ideal world, free of political shenanigans and third hand influence this man would be head and shoulders above the rest as a good Prime Minister, far more intelligence, sincere, honest and well mannered than any of the others.

Really ?? "would be a good Prime Minister" He had the chance to proof himself two years long as PM, tell me what he did for the country ,..... exactly, nothing !

Free school uniforms & books but since removed. A rice programme which many farmers agreed was better than the current one. As another poster already stated there is a perfectly valid reason for not publishing his ideas until he has met with the relevant people.