Abhisit floats 'minor reforms'

webfact

Sounds about the most sensible and lucid of all the comments made about solving the crisis, among the various leadership. Compare this to the simplistic 'have an election' we keep hearing from Noppadom, or Yingluck or Chalerm. In an ideal world, free of political shenanigans and third hand influence this man would be head and shoulders above the rest as a good Prime Minister, far more intelligence, sincere, honest and well mannered than any of the others.

Really ?? "would be a good Prime Minister" He had the chance to proof himself two years long as PM, tell me what he did for the country ,..... exactly, nothing !

tell me what he did for the country ,..... exactly, nothing !

at least he did exactly nothing like the BS the PTP did

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall any of the countries you mention running a populist regime.

Countries i know from recent history are Greece and Italy and Venezuela. I'm sure they are high on your list of economic super powers.

See any similarities between Chavez, Berlusconi and Thaksin ?

this is not about Thaksin - and yes there maybe be some similarities I grant you but I see the same for Suthep's ambitions and Kim Jong-un, Mugabe etc.

this is about Paradigm Shift and equality of justice

IF there was another 'leader' and party who was for reform of lese majeste, the judiciary and ending corruption Thais would vote in their millions - what we have is dinosaurs fighting to retain feudalism and the Ammart

I am not pro PTP I am anti-elite manipulating the millions of ordinary Thais BIG difference

Of course this is about Thaksin.

You don't want to tell us that his sister is running the country, do you ?

You must have missed Abhisit's remark in the OP

He was ready to talk to ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra if his sister Yingluck was not able to make her own decision as head of the government.

• Like 1

I see the PTP keyboard warriors are up early this morning, giving the usual,

we will not listen to any one who does not agree with us

Our Way or No Way

"I'm realistic. I don't think everybody will win everything he or she wants," he said.

I thought this is what we finally want to hear, a compromise, but that will not suit the PTP Keybosrd warriors

He was ready to talk to ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra if his sister Yingluck was not able to make her own decision as head of the government.

This put Yingluck straight into defensive mode as she now must admit who is running Thailand, her or her brother

It my not be the perfect solution, but way ahead of what any one else has put foward

Fact:

Miracles can happen

My Thai Wife has never liked Abhisit, as we live in the North

But this morning I fell off my chair when she said to her mother

He is a good man and loves Thailand

haha so it's ok because your wife says "he's a good man and loves Thailand" lol

Fact:

he doesn't have the support of the vast majority of Thais - don't believe? hold an ELECTION

me GF has never liked Abhisit, as we live in Thailand

This morning my GF still doesn't like him and said so to our cat

"he's still the same sneaky, self-centered and self-serving guy and loves himself first, second and last" - the cat smiled and nodded knowingly

Maybe its time you read more on other postings

this morning in a poll not taken by me only 10 per cent want the majority voice to be respected

and wanted fairer elections

sorry to burst your bubble, but tese are Thai people talking not me or my wife

This entire article and his "proposal" re a laugher. The Abhisit makes absolutely no statement of reform. Not even one. The article does state that his reform proposal is a secret. This is total duplicity. Abhisit also states that reform must start before elections.

He just refuses to clarify any reform issues into a coherent platform. He just doesn't get that potential candidates should campaign their reform points as a platform. people would then vote for a candidate based on their reform platform.

Why is Abhisit keeping his supposed reform proposal a secret? He doesn't seem to have a clue as to how to construct a coherent reform platform and campaign that platform. Thais don't have any idea what this man stands for for his vision for Thailand and how to get there.

This is a measure of just how much you don't know about anything, especially politics.

He said MANY TIMES that he needs to hold meeting first with the EC, Military and possibly the opposition...

What the hell is the point of making public announcements of all his plans until he has had the rubber stamp form the most important players first???

There are processes to go through before he can even float his reform strategy... It may well just get shot down before it starts.

Just because you are mega curious doesn't mean he has to break with standard protocol just for your sorry butt. He doesn't give a monkey's nuts for your curiosity.

If you had half a brain you could work it out in a few minutes of thinking. It is not Anhisit's fault you don't have the intellect. He as good as said it in the post and it is what a lot of people have been saying on here for months now....

He will come into the election and get Suthep to not obstruct it so long as there are electoral reforms to make it 100% free and fair.

No vote buying.

No vote rigging.

No paying village chiefs to force their villagers to vote one way.

No obstructing campaigning of other parties.

No insane populist policies

Huge repercussions for ANY party or their supporters in breech of these conditions including instant suspension of the offending party.

Have a neutral watchdog to scrutinize the behavior of all parties in the above, with a platform for the public to complain of infringements.

There ya go..... It isn't rocker science.

Stop criticizing people just because you are in love with their opposition.

The guy is doing his best and if you really want democracy that you claim you do.... then I suggest you shut the hell up and agree for once in your life.

• Like 1

Included in any reform package should be the abolishion of immunity prosecution for serving MP.'s. This serves little purpose execpt to encourage malfeasant activity. MP's should be held totally responsible for their actions.

the reason there ARE so many problems is that MP's do not have that immunity and so serving PM get's hauled up for just about anything

reform should begin not with what you suggest but lese majeste and the judiciary - two tools used for nefarious purposes and draconian in the extreme - to reform them would bring support and peace

Yes - remove any checks and balances. Allow the MPs to do what they want, be above the law. After all they were sort of democratically elected and have shown how trustworthy they really are.

Bring support and peace - you mean Thaksin and his gang would love the chance to reform and neuter them and then call off the red dogs of war?

• Like 1

He should have done his minor reforms when he was PM, but during that 2 years he didn't governing at all, only chasing Taksin.

Now 180 days he was out of the picture, and the last 10 days he woke up with some ideas.... poor , very poor ideas.

Poor ideas?????

Man you need to wake up to the reality of the situation.

2 years of repairing the country after the mess of the Thaksin era, when there were not millions on the streets screaming for reforms. Also half way through their term they had the red shirts to deal with.

You are just pissed because you know that this may have a chance to work, and it would see the Dems actually murder the PTP in an election.... you know that for a fact and you would never admit it... Just by your post we all know on TVF that you think this is looking very good for Abhisit and the Dems and it upsets you.

Well I am glad that it does upset you. Be prepared for a pretty miserable few months ahead.

• Like 1

Sounds about the most sensible and lucid of all the comments made about solving the crisis, among the various leadership. Compare this to the simplistic 'have an election' we keep hearing from Noppadom, or Yingluck or Chalerm. In an ideal world, free of political shenanigans and third hand influence this man would be head and shoulders above the rest as a good Prime Minister, far more intelligence, sincere, honest and well mannered than any of the others.

No compromise and minor reforms are these things that caused the political crises. The only solution are big reforms and weed out all the corruption. Else there will be the same mess for the next 50 years.

No need for a sensible leader in times of crises. Thailand needs a strong leader.

• Like 1

Really ?? "would be a good Prime Minister" He had the chance to proof himself two years long as PM, tell me what he did for the country ,..... exactly, nothing !

And what exactly do you think Thaksin and all his associated boot lickers have done over the last 8 years or so that was so good for the country ? Please inform all of us of the great achievments they have made other than making themselves exceptionally rich at everyone else's expense.

Abhisit did a good job. Sadly he was distracted by red rioters trying to kill civilians, soldiers, businesses, burn down the city - really trying to kill; Bangkok. He didn't make any 'reforms' whiile he was in power as the kind of abuses of power aand corruption that PT have committed over the last 2 years were not happening under Abhisit's leadership so reforms were not needed. Now PT have been given a free reign and committed masses of crimes, the need for reform has become apparent.

Take off your red blinkers and see the truth sheeple, PT are awful !!!

• Like 2

Why the secret?

I was giving him a wrap the other day for letting go of the apron strings of the peoples medium.

Why can't he just go that extra step?

Easy! out of all the meetings the only one that will count is with sutep the great!

He better hurry up and show the people something otherwise he will look even more weaker than what he is now.

Mr. Abhisit is sooooo full of himself. He is nothing more than the Tail - trying to wag the dog (Mr. Suthep).

I wonder what it must be like to live in your world.

If you thinkj Suthep is controlling the situation, you must have your head firmly rammed up it.

Anyone with the slightest amount of intelligentsia will have already worked out that this is all worked out between the two and have been a strategy for a while now.

Threaten to boycott and disrupt under the current situation, then play ' good cop bad cop ' where Abhisit recommends a compromise and promises to do his best to negotiate between the PDRC and the EC/Opposition.... Gets the military to start the show by coming out and saying that Abhisit has a very good compromise on the table and that their talks were very agreeable and successful.... That is the primer.

Allow the EC and PM to meet on Wednesday....... and the meeting will surely end inconclusively (as always).

Then have a meeting with the EC who will echo what the military think.

Then have a meeting with the PDRC, and come out with an agreement not to disrupt the elections if electoral reform can be completed over the next 2 months or so. ( I also believe that Abhisit knows this can be done by the June 20th date and using it as a bargaining chip)...

Then have a meeting with all of the above...

Dems

Opposition

All lesser parties

EC

PDRC

Military

to negotiate...... By then we have the Dems, PDRC, Military and the EC agreeable putting pressure on the rest, who if they disagree.... will be flatly showing the public they don't want reforms or true democracy with fre and fair elections, thus making them totally unpopular with the masses who want these and especially to move forwards.

What you will get is an election on July 20th with a newly drafted set of EC regulations to make sure the elections are 100% free and fair....... the PDRC won't disrupt it, the election won't be delayed any further, the Dems will take part...... and may the best man win.

That is the ONLY way the country is going to move forwards.

The red camp on here are just talking utter boll-ox..... They have no desire to see the country move forward without the Shins in charge.

If anything, their thoughts are a hell of a lot more radical than the PTP and the actual red shirt movement who seem to be semi-accepting of this new phase in the situation while on here it is viciously opposed...... quite weird really.

Edited by WoopyDoo

No compromise and minor reforms are these things that caused the political crises. The only solution are big reforms and weed out all the corruption. Else there will be the same mess for the next 50 years.

No need for a sensible leader in times of crises. Thailand needs a strong leader.

And who you would suggest to be that strong leader ?

" He was ready to talk to ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra if his sister Yingluck was not able to make her own decision as head of the government. "

Whether or not these discussions actually ever take place, this is the sentence that permanently stings. It screams out what everyone knows - including Pheu Thai supporters who still try to ( publicly ) deny it - that Thaksin is - and always has been - the director of the Yingluck administration. Abhisit's offer to speak to him is in reality a delicious trap. Thaksin's ego would want to do it at the drop of a hat - and Abhisit knows this - but in so doing he would also expose himself as the director of the administration, and not his sister, despite the fact that it was she, and not he, that was elected to do so. But even if the proposal is turned down ( which is likely ) that point is already established, and the longer Thaksin and Yingluck take to " think " about it, the more established that point and that reality becomes. Whether anything comes of Abhisit's outreach, he has already accomplished his mission. By making his appeal public, and by eliciting such strong reactions to it - from Pheu Thai, the UDD, Nattawut, and to a significant degree from Suthep himself - Abhisit has been able to separate himself from all other major players, including most importantly a recognizable distance between the Democratic party and the PDRC. This means that once the dust settles, Abhisit will have weathered the storm better than most.

Everyone knows there is a bigger dog than Mr. Suthep... coffee1.gif

Geriatrickid already summed it up for all to see who really pulls on the strings...

Mr. Abhisit is sooooo full of himself. He is nothing more than the Tail - trying to wag the dog (Mr. Suthep).

If you thinkj Suthep is controlling the situation, you must have your head firmly rammed up it.

Anyone with the slightest amount of intelligentsia will have already worked out that this is all worked out between the two and have been a strategy for a while now.

Threaten to boycott and disrupt under the current situation, then play ' good cop bad cop ' where Abhisit recommends a compromise and promises to do his best to negotiate between the PDRC and the EC/Opposition.... Gets the military to start the show by coming out and saying that Abhisit has a very good compromise on the table and that their talks were very agreeable and successful.... That is the primer.

Allow the EC and PM to meet and the meeting will surely end inconclusively (as always).

Then have a meeting with the PDRC, and come out with an agreement not to disrupt the elections if electoral reform can be completed over the next 2 months or so. ( I also believe that Abhisit knows this can be done by the June 20th date and using it as a bargaining chip)...

Dems

Opposition

All lesser parties

EC

PDRC

Military

to negotiate......

What you will get is an election on July 20th with a newly drafted set of EC regulations to make sure the elections are 100% free and fair....... the PDRC won't disrupt it, the election won't be delayed any further, the Dems will take part...... and may the best man win.

The red camp on here are just talking utter boll-ox..... They have no desire to see the country move forward without the Shins in charge.

If anything, their thoughts are a hell of a lot more radical than the PTP and the actual red shirt movement who seem to be semi-accepting of this new phase in the situation while on here it is viciously opposed...... quite weird really.

Edited by toybits

Geriatrickid already summed it up for all to see who really pulls on the strings...

Allow the EC and PM to meet and the meeting will surely end inconclusively (as always).

Dems

Opposition

All lesser parties

EC

PDRC

Military

to negotiate......

We all know there is influence there.... and that will always be the same PTP have their puppet master too you know???... But we are talking about the ones in the picture actually doing the bidding, not the ones in the background... they don't have anything to do with the work on the street... That just creates a deflection... The physical players in the physical game are who we are talking about.

"The Election Commission (EC) needed to issue a regulation to limit or ban excessive populist policies, as they would lead to irresponsible election campaigning."

Seems a little odd for the EC to go around telling people what platform they can or cannot campaign on. What would be the point of elections if the politicians were unable to present any ideas? Why would anyone go vote? Perhaps this is his intent?

So you think political parties should be allowed to make promises they can't deliver in order to get votes?

For example (and just to pick one), how many votes did PTP got from their promise to set a flat 20 Baht fare for Skytrain and Metro for Bangkok, only to never, ever mention it again after winning and "realizing" that they didn't have the power to do such thing?

They swindled the votes out of people with promises like that, and then they have the chutzpah of starting the "Respect my vote" Astroturfing campaign.

Yes of course they were swindled, every last single one of those who voted PTP were taken in by the flat 20 baht skytrain and metro promise, especially those who don't have the "great fortune" to live in Bangkok, it was a real vote winner whistling.gif

You knew that the democrats had an equally populist campaign in 2011, I presume, or did you just ignore that? However it is difficult to prove whether the dem party promises were ones that couldn't be delivered, for obvious reasons.

Its "Moving Thailand Forward" pledges include:

- Raise daily minimum wage by 25 percent in two years from current levels of 159-221 baht ($5-7), depending on the region, and improve labor skills

- Give land title deeds to 250,000 farmers on state land

- Free universal quality medical treatment and childcare centres in every area

- Twelve electric train lines and high-speed rail links to the north, south and the eastern seaboard

- Extend subsidies on diesel and cooking gas prices, and provide some free electricity for low-income households

- Raise farm incomes by 25 percent through subsidies for fertiliser, with financial guarantees for farm production

- Two-year interest-free mortgages for first-home buyers

- Free education up to 18 years, soft education loans for 250,000 university students, $12 billion approved for a six-year education reform plan.

- Ease financial burden of 1 million small borrowers by extending state refinancing of personal debts owed to non-conventional creditors outside the banking system.

- Expand social safety net to include 25 million farmers and workers, covering illness, disability or death

- Give pension to those over 60 years of age; grant monthly living allowance for elderly people

- Double production of alternative energy, especially solar, turbine and bio-gas

- Expand national 3G broadband networks to link all districts in Thailand

- Anti-drug campaign.

Let's face it "Respect my Vote" has a lot more going for it than the nihilistic "Vote No" or boycott.

Up to you dude. If you want to put curtains over your eyes... you are free to do so. However, you will never get any correct answers if you deny what is really true and who really calls the shots here. Mr. Abhisit's role here is just to give the appearance of democracy - when it actually is just an elaborate illusion. Nothing more than smoke and mirrors....

Dems

Opposition

All lesser parties

EC

PDRC

Military

to negotiate......

We all know there is influence there.... and that will always be the same PTP have their puppet master too you know???... But we are talking about the ones in the picture actually doing the bidding, not the ones in the background... they don't have anything to do with the work on the street... That just creates a deflection... The physical players in the physical game are who we are talking about.

Included in any reform package should be the abolishion of immunity prosecution for serving MP.'s. This serves little purpose execpt to encourage malfeasant activity. MP's should be held totally responsible for their actions.

the reason there ARE so many problems is that MP's do not have that immunity and so serving PM get's hauled up for just about anything

reform should begin not with what you suggest but lese majeste and the judiciary - two tools used for nefarious purposes and draconian in the extreme - to reform them would bring support and peace

Yes - remove any checks and balances. Allow the MPs to do what they want, be above the law. After all they were sort of democratically elected and have shown how trustworthy they really are.

Bring support and peace - you mean Thaksin and his gang would love the chance to reform and neuter them and then call off the red dogs of war?

not at all... US and Europe do pretty well and have immunity from vexatious prosecutions

this is not the problem the problem is corruption from top to bottom and the dinosaurs looking to retain that system

"The Election Commission (EC) needed to issue a regulation to limit or ban excessive populist policies, as they would lead to irresponsible election campaigning."

Seems a little odd for the EC to go around telling people what platform they can or cannot campaign on. What would be the point of elections if the politicians were unable to present any ideas? Why would anyone go vote? Perhaps this is his intent?

So you think political parties should be allowed to make promises they can't deliver in order to get votes?

For example (and just to pick one), how many votes did PTP got from their promise to set a flat 20 Baht fare for Skytrain and Metro for Bangkok, only to never, ever mention it again after winning and "realizing" that they didn't have the power to do such thing?

They swindled the votes out of people with promises like that, and then they have the chutzpah of starting the "Respect my vote" Astroturfing campaign.

The media and the political opposition are quite capable of pointing out what is feasible and what is not. Why do we need the bureaucracy to step in? How would that work? And yes, politicians make promises of things they would like to do once they get into office, only to find that it is much more difficult than they had anticipated. But we do not need big brother watching over us. People can judge for themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

And who you would suggest to be that strong leader ?

That is the problem....I don't know any....everyone who MAY be good is above 80.

Maybe someone could inject 30% Chuvit DNA into Abhisit?

Why does it prevent a party presenting a manifesto platform??

The key word here is 'extreme' such as Thaksin's ludicrous scams that have cost the country dear. Well thought out populist policies are what every party should be aiming for - BUT, crucially, they must be affordable and benefit those people that it is targeted at in helping.

Thaksin paties would not be able to buy people's votes if this was introduced (and probably fail to achieve power) upon implementation of this 'must have' reform.

I have been saying that this is precisely what needs to be done for at least 3 years now and Abhisit has got the situation 100% right!!!

I noticed that as well. It is not feasible as it allows an unelected entity to dictate as to what a political party's platform will be. It is up to the voters to decide. The example given was a sly slap at the government's Rice subsidy program If the Abhisit notion was applied it would be anti-democratic because it denies the voters the right to decide and instead has a select few decide what will be good for the population. The poor chap still doesn't understand that he is not a part of a military dictatorship structure.

Yes, it's up to the people to decide, Democracy works as long as the electorate is able (an willing) to make informed choices.

Propaganda is not information so I think it would be a good starting point for reforms to have mandatory, public debates between PM candidates over specific issues, economy, social programs, etc... Anyone who doesn't show is disqualified, then let the people decide who they agree with not based on what a PR firm says, but on the personal worth of the candidate and the strength of their arguments.

I noticed that as well. It is not feasible as it allows an unelected entity to dictate as to what a political party's platform will be. It is up to the voters to decide. The example given was a sly slap at the government's Rice subsidy program If the Abhisit notion was applied it would be anti-democratic because it denies the voters the right to decide and instead has a select few decide what will be good for the population. The poor chap still doesn't understand that he is not a part of a military dictatorship structure.

Yes, it's up to the people to decide, Democracy works as long as the electorate is able (an willing) to make informed choices.

Propaganda is not information so I think it would be a good starting point for reforms to have mandatory, public debates between PM candidates over specific issues, economy, social programs, etc... Anyone who doesn't show is disqualified, then let the people decide who they agree with not based on what a PR firm says, but on the personal worth of the candidate and the strength of their arguments.

Yingluck wouldn't be there then!!!!

Our Way or No Way

"I'm realistic. I don't think everybody will win everything he or she wants," he said.

I thought this is what we finally want to hear, a compromise, but that will not suit the PTP Keybosrd warriors

This put Yingluck straight into defensive mode as she now must admit who is running Thailand, her or her brother

It my not be the perfect solution, but way ahead of what any one else has put foward

Fact:

Miracles can happen

Was that before or after you fell off your chair , your wife called you a good man ?

Our Way or No Way

Fact:

Miracles can happen

I hope she wasn't drunk when she said that. smile.png

Nobody's perfect but I think he's OK as well. It's many, but not all of those around him that are the problem. I don't know what his proposals are but I assume he wants to talk to those involved first before revealing them. That would seem the most obvious thing to do rather than risk arguments and pressure from others beforehand. Quite a reasonable approach I would say when he's prepared to talk with people who are protecting the army and trying to get him convicted of murder.

The same or similar goes for the PTP except it's the leadership that are the problem. I would exclude Yingluck from that as I don't think she's a problem and if she'd had an interest in politics and made her way up through the ranks instead of being put in at the top without any clue what to do she may have turned out fine. Her problem is her brother used her to get power because presumably he couldn't trust any of the experienced politicians in his party to toe the line.

If you could just get the moderates from both sides to come together then you might end up with something workable.

My wife who is a Democrat voter voted for a PTP candidate in the February non election because she believed he was a good candidate.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The EC has no such authority to create organic law under the Electorial Law known as the "Organic Law on the Election of Members of the House of Representatives and Senators." The limitation or banning populist policies by regulation is not covered in Part 2

Constituency, Polling Station and Polling Place and is not speficially identified in Section 44. But rather lawmaking is the authority of the National Assembly, The Constitution under Chapter VI, Part 1, Section 90.

Giving the EC such powers of "reform" would require at best an amendment to the Electorial Law and at worse a drawn out constitutional amendment. Suthep has indicated he would suspend the Constitution in order to rewrite it for his reforms. Furthermore, who would define "populist" and make the determination that whatever someone proposes as legislation constitutes populist policy - a People's Committee?

If Abhisit wants to draw attention to election behavior I suggest he review the Electorial Law at Section 62 that states, "No person shall commit any act without an authorization to prevent an elector to cast a ballot or obstruct or to delay an elector to go to the polling place, to enter into the place for casing a ballot or to reach such place within the polling time." and the Constitution at Section 72 that states "Every person shall have a duty to exercise his right to vote at an election.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Our Way or No Way

Fact:

Miracles can happen

haha so it's ok because your wife says "he's a good man and loves Thailand" lol

Fact:

he doesn't have the support of the vast majority of Thais - don't believe? hold an ELECTION

me GF has never liked Abhisit, as we live in Thailand

This morning my GF still doesn't like him and said so to our cat

"he's still the same sneaky, self-centered and self-serving guy and loves himself first, second and last" - the cat smiled and nodded knowingly

And the only reason for that is because the majority of the population in Thailand is dirt poor and uneducated, and believe in populist policies rather than an economic policies.

People who have been educated should know that populist regimes never work and have failed all over the world.

The Constitution under Chapter V, Directive Principles of Fundamental State Policies, Part 7 - Economic Policy supports populist policies. So will the limitation or banning of populist policies be another amendment to the Constitution, ie., made by the People's Committee?

if the Thai people believe in populist policies to improve their lives and oppoisition parties believe such policies are doomed to be failures, then it is the responsibility of the opposition to educate the people to support a different policy. That is what campaigning is all about. Not to jam ppolicies down people's electorial throats with laws and constitutional amendments made without their consent, and forbiding them to vote until, as Suthep has stated, they become educated according to his standards.

The EC has no such authority to create organic law under the Electorial Law known as the "Organic Law on the Election of Members of the House of Representatives and Senators." The limitation or banning populist policies by regulation is not covered in Part 2

Constituency, Polling Station and Polling Place and is not speficially identified in Section 44. But rather lawmaking is the authority of the National Assembly, The Constitution under Chapter VI, Part 1, Section 90.

Giving the EC such powers of "reform" would require at best an amendment to the Electorial Law and at worse a drawn out constitutional amendment. Suthep has indicated he would suspend the Constitution in order to rewrite it for his reforms. Furthermore, who would define "populist" and make the determination that whatever someone proposes as legislation constitutes populist policy - a People's Committee?

If Abhisit wants to draw attention to election behavior I suggest he review the Electorial Law at Section 62 that states, "No person shall commit any act without an authorization to prevent an elector to cast a ballot or obstruct or to delay an elector to go to the polling place, to enter into the place for casing a ballot or to reach such place within the polling time." and the Constitution at Section 72 that states "Every person shall have a duty to exercise his right to vote at an election.

I think that he is more than aware of section 62. That is why he told his party members that they were free to vote although he chose not to as in his opinion the election was illegitimate. Abhisit's party members did not obstruct anyone from voting or delay any electors from going to polling stations, so what exactly is the relevance to Abhisit on this???

• Like 1

What the Abhisit/Suthep/PDRC/Democrats want to do is legislate "promises" on the excuse that it will protect people from making the wrong, uneducated vote (aka not vote for Demorcat/PDRC party). Some "promises" will be allowed and some will not in order to deliver the proper or educated votes. Apart that such legislation will not only violate the Constitution "six different ways," but Thailand will probably have a real political war that will make Suthep's Final Victories look like oatmeal.

In a democratic society it is the opposition parties' (Thailand has 63) responsibility to bring to light (what some call 'fact-checking') the falsehoods of campaign promises to turn people's support to the opposition and gain their vote legitimately. That is the nature of freedom of speech and personal responsibility. But everything I hear about Abhisit/Suthep's reforms indicates that they don't want to make that kind of effort because they will have to move away from their Radical Conservative policies to more Centralist policies to gain the majority support of the public. They would rather force public support outside the electorial system through "reforms" initiated by unelected committees and Independent agencies for which the People would have no recourse.