Abhisit's nephew 'Itim' first Thai to lead top Oxford society

webfact

He is as much a media luvvy as Panthongtae (but Panthongtae is in that business, so he has an excuse) - we all know how much praise and love is spread towards him.

However when posters like woopy doo come up with statements like it's not as if he's bragging about it, I find it hard to reconcile that with the truth.

One look at his facebook page reveals that he has just (April 25th) changed his cover photo to the above. The first entry since his birthday on December 10th. How many 21 year olds would leave that big an interval in their facebook jottings without telling the world what they had done every day? And why now, a year after the event?

Oak has to blow his own trumpet.

One of my Thai friends posts pictures of every meal she has daily on Facebook.

Is that normal?

Not everyone lives on it.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes and Mr Abhisit's father is also an independent director on the board of Charoen Pokphand (CP Group) the Ceo of which is the wealthiest billionaire in Thailand ... tops the Forbes list...always good to follow the money... (guessing we could take it to Hong Kong)

and the mother of the young chap is a sister of Abhisit. So if Suranand is a cousin of Abhisit, that means he's an uncle once removed?

As the articles only mention the young chap didn't want to discuss politics while here, I guess we'll not know which of the two uncles he prefers democratically speaking.

OK let's take a guess................................................................................ from his facebook page,

262957_265374460142975_6735453_n.jpg

Taken when he was working as an intern for the Democrat Party

Horrendous furniture. Looks like they are sitting in Barbie's dressing room

Super Wedgewood style room , so clean and fresh, better than a condo with empty beer cans strewn everywhere.

Chinese carpet -must have cost a bit ?? no Mama noodle pkts to be seen.

There are some really sad comments from some even sadder individuals on here. You'd think that seeing a Thai being respected by his international peers would be a pleasant change and something to be appreciated and cherished by everyone, even the most parochial posters on here. .

God knows the kingdom has become a laughing stock abroad with a leader who cries crocodile tears, a pretender who wants to rule the country by himself and another who already does and thanks to Parit we can see that there are some Thais out there who do have something more about them after all.

You are missing the point. This is a planted story that is trying to play up something that really isn't that big an event, for political benefit.

It is not about insulting or belittling the chap. Good for him, and I mean it sincerely. It is a personal accomplishment, much as one of my colleagues was elected to the president of his society at Cambridge. He uses his pewter cup that he received for his term as a pencil holder. The incessant ooing and awing over this event is annoying and an insult to the hundreds, if not thousands of Thai students and graduates, who have had far greater achievements than this. The only reason the Nation ran the article was because of his uncle and it was a chance to promote the "brand". Obviously it succeeded because some people are impressed.

Do you know who Professor Supaphan Seraphin is? No? I can understand, because media outlets like Nation Media don't even know that she's alive.

Well, she's a beloved academic who does more for the good image of Thailand in the USA than all the story plants about the Abhisit relatives will do. She's an engineering professor, BSc. Chem @ Mahidol and MSc. Energy Tech @ King Mongkut's Institute of Technology. She also has her PhD. from the University of Arizona in Engineering. She didn't attend Oxford, only the "lowly" Mahidol University as someone has intimated on this thread, She has won many awards for here excellence in teaching and research. More importantly, she is a beloved teacher who is known for cooking Thai meals for her grad students. She is quintessentially Thai with her kindness, warmth and desire to stuff poorly fed grad students with great Thai cooking. Yes, there are Thais who do have something more about them, but politically driven groups like Nation Media don't tell you about them because it doesn't fit the Nation's political agenda. Here's a wonderful, Thai academic that no one in TVF knows about. Too many people think all Thais are stupid or not capable of greatness unless they have the right name. Well, I like her and so do thousands of her past students. It's time people heard about her and the hundreds of other great Thai academics. Some think Oxford's the cat's meow. Well, plenty of brilliant people come out of Mahidol University. Some TVFers don't want to know about that. (And yes, I am biased in respect to Mahidol because I love the school and hold many of its profs in high regard.)

Impressive young man.

And yes to actual and not purchased respect of your peers.

That must feel sooo much batter than just getting a position because daddy has clout.

Oh, there's all kinds of different ways to getting respect, animatic, even in Oxford. I believe this is called "populism" in the political world.

Joseph D’Urso has become President-elect of the Oxford Union after winning a close race against opponent Rajiv Dattani in Friday’s election.

Xin Fan on Monday 26th November 2012

D’Urso, of New College, won 614 votes, edging out Dattani of St Anne’s College, who received 578 - a margin of only 36 votes. D’Urso will assume the presidency in Trinity 2013, and has pledged a “weekend trip to Paris” for members during his tenure.

http://www.cherwell.org/news/oxford/2012/11/26/durso-wins-union-presidency

Then there's the computer hacking and misogyny involved as well

The former Secretary-designate of the Oxford Union, Cai Wilshaw, has been accused of attempted computer hacking, as well as sexism against a fellow Standing Committee member who felt “personally victimised” by “sexism” and “misogyny”. The allegations come after emails were leaked to senior members of the Union committee.

“At the heart of my decision [to resign] was my disgust at the personal conduct of some of the candidates. The memes were only a small part of this… I resigned because it made me feel sick that I had known so little about what was going on until after the election. I resigned because I don't want to be associated with such behaviour. I resigned because - frankly - the outright victimisation of candidates brought shame upon the Union, and made me ashamed that my name was even on the ballot paper.”

http://www.cherwell.org/news/topstories/2013/06/14/scandal-at-the-union

Yes the cream of society, something to aspire to...................

There are some really sad comments from some even sadder individuals on here. You'd think that seeing a Thai being respected by his international peers would be a pleasant change and something to be appreciated and cherished by everyone, even the most parochial posters on here. .

God knows the kingdom has become a laughing stock abroad with a leader who cries crocodile tears, a pretender who wants to rule the country by himself and another who already does and thanks to Parit we can see that there are some Thais out there who do have something more about them after all.

You are missing the point. This is a planted story that is trying to play up something that really isn't that big an event, for political benefit.

It is not about insulting or belittling the chap. Good for him, and I mean it sincerely. It is a personal accomplishment, much as one of my colleagues was elected to the president of his society at Cambridge. He uses his pewter cup that he received for his term as a pencil holder. The incessant ooing and awing over this event is annoying and an insult to the hundreds, if not thousands of Thai students and graduates, who have had far greater achievements than this. The only reason the Nation ran the article was because of his uncle and it was a chance to promote the "brand". Obviously it succeeded because some people are impressed.

Do you know who Professor Supaphan Seraphin is? No? I can understand, because media outlets like Nation Media don't even know that she's alive.

Well, she's a beloved academic who does more for the good image of Thailand in the USA than all the story plants about the Abhisit relatives will do. She's an engineering professor, BSc. Chem @ Mahidol and MSc. Energy Tech @ King Mongkut's Institute of Technology. She also has her PhD. from the University of Arizona in Engineering. She didn't attend Oxford, only the "lowly" Mahidol University as someone has intimated on this thread, She has won many awards for here excellence in teaching and research. More importantly, she is a beloved teacher who is known for cooking Thai meals for her grad students. She is quintessentially Thai with her kindness, warmth and desire to stuff poorly fed grad students with great Thai cooking. Yes, there are Thais who do have something more about them, but politically driven groups like Nation Media don't tell you about them because it doesn't fit the Nation's political agenda. Here's a wonderful, Thai academic that no one in TVF knows about. Too many people think all Thais are stupid or not capable of greatness unless they have the right name. Well, I like her and so do thousands of her past students. It's time people heard about her and the hundreds of other great Thai academics. Some think Oxford's the cat's meow. Well, plenty of brilliant people come out of Mahidol University. Some TVFers don't want to know about that. (And yes, I am biased in respect to Mahidol because I love the school and hold many of its profs in high regard.)

Thank you Abhisit hater, Near every post is a saga, trying to convince people how important a person you are and of great standing with the upper class, and a world traveler to boot. Your on an ego trip every post.

There are at times some interesting points but at the end of the day we all can research in private without you googling and pasting.

<

the farang imposter lining up another stooge ^^

Two things:

Like many people on this forum my child was born outside Thailand, in London in fact. She holds duel nationality has two passports and speaks Thai and English as fluently as any 6 year old from either country, and speaks those languages without the 'accent' of a foreigner. When she grows up, if she wants to be PM, she can, and does not need some schmuck whose only ability to speak the language here is the ability to order more beer and a Pad Thai telling her that she is a farang imposter. She holds Thai and British nationality, it is a consequence of globalization get used to it.

Secondly, some friendly advice, even though I don't like you. This is not an anonymous forum. It has been highlighted by another member that your comments are straying in to dangerous territory. Unlike the young man who is the subject of the OP, you don't have the education to pick up on that, or certainly to act on it. You could find yourself on a lese majeste charge in a heart beat, good luck.

• Like 1

The issue here seems to be the importance over who he is rather than the achievement itself. I would hope and assume that Abhisit had nothing to do with his success so it begs the question why does he need to be mentioned in the headline. Also the timing is strange given the Bangkok Post pretty much covered this in June last year - can't help but smell the wiff of PR here.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Orac
  • Like 1

Impressive young man.

That must feel sooo much batter than just getting a position because daddy has clout.

don't you mean 'purchased' education? how many Thai kids get his and Mark's advantages?

Thank you Abhisit hater, Near every post is a saga, trying to convince people how important a person you are and of great standing with the upper class, and a world traveler to boot. Your on an ego trip every post.

There are at times some interesting points but at the end of the day we all can research in private without you googling and pasting.

Amazing. So you think this is about hating Abhisit? This isn't about me either.

I'll make it simple.

- It is a planted PR piece.

- Apparently, some people don't realize when they are being manipulated and don't like to be told that they are.

BTW, nowhere do I talk about myself being important etc. That's claptrap that you have added because you are in denial now and will grab at any excuse to keep the fantasy you want to believe alive. Okay. You weren't suckered. Fine. Anyone with some basic common sense will see this article for what it is. Political manipulation. Did you actually believe you had won a prize when the condo tout handed you a scratch card and it said you won something?

Edited by geriatrickid

Impressive young man.

don't you mean 'purchased' education? how many Thai kids get his and Mark's advantages?

You obviously missed the scholarship to Eton bit. The kid is smart.

And besides the "purchased education" with or without scholarships,

does NOT purchase the respect of his peers, they give that individually.

Edited by animatic

Is he actually Thai or English?

I should think that having Thai parents and being born in Thailand would make him a Thai. Wouldn't you?

Well that is (or was the question), like his uncle he was schooled in Eton and then went onto Oxford. You know his uncle, former PM of Thailand, is English and was born in Newcastle, right?

You do know that any child born with at least one Thai parent is also Thai irrespective of which country that child was born in?

There is a most important personage who was born in the USA and was educated in Switzerland. Would you say rhat the person is less Thai than a child born of Thai parents in Thailand?

• Like 2

Stop embarrassing yourself.... I know the facts... I was replying to your question why reported so late.

He obviously hasn't been bragging about it, or it would have made news at the time.

That is why he's different to most Thais, he obviously has masses of integrity and sees no value in bragging and boasting.

This just shows that the family's discretion and integrity are light years ahead of anything from the red camp which are all blow- and gob sh-ites.... like you.

"He obviously hasn't been bragging about it,"

abhisits nephew has just changed his cover photo on facebook..........to this

10295732_856353641045051_390017338711187

Sour grapes Fab ??? pity Yingluck hasn't a photo of her diploma from a sub branch of a university . Pity you had to kick the lad in the balls.

Just responding to the hagiography on here and offering a suggestion as to why this year old "story" has only just made the news.

Interestingly enough his new cover photo (changed April 25th) on his facebook page has received just the one comment from a certain Wichar Thitiprasert.

This chap is the Director, Agriculture Requlatory Office, Department of Agriculture and a regular PDRC supporter with strong views on reforms of "lizards" and policemen on his facebook page. I think you can guess who the lizard references are about. Quite outspoken for a civil servant of the government he is insulting.

Oh, and the comment about abhisits nephew?

"Thailands Future"

Figures coffee1.gif

"Thailands Future" - I think he was referring to Hamid Karzai.

• Like 1

Impressive young man.

You would be surprised how many Thai kids are offered the advantages of this young man but they prefer to rely on Daddy's money to make life easy rather than commit hard work in a 'rigorous' educational environment. A little like the two 'Ferrari driving' oxygen thieves on you tube in the last couple of days.

Private school costs money, that does not mean the kids have to work and in some schools the consequence of not putting in the work will be removal from the school, regardless of the amount of money you have. Unlike some Universities for example in..the USA where it seems one can go and complete an MA done in the English Language without being able to speak english with any level of coherence - now THAT is a purchased education. Getting through Eton and Oxford with the required academic standard to pass is a good education.

'True success is not in the learning, but in its application to the benefit of mankind'.- H.R.H. Mahidol

Asst. Prof. Dr. Duangkamol Baowan and Asst. Prof. Dr. Chatchai Muanprasat, both from Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, won 2013 Young Scientist awards from Foundation for the Promotion of Science and Technology under the Patronage of His Majesty the King.

Dr. Duangkamol, Mathematics Department, was honored for developing mathematical models to study the behavior of nanomaterials to explain intermolecular energy and forces in nanomaterials. Asst. Prof. Dr. Chatchai . Physiology Department, won the award for developing medicines for diarrhea and thalassemia using materials from the country's natural resources including medicinal plants, fruits and agro-industrial waste.

These Thais didn't go to Oxford and yet they have done alright. I guess they aren't worthy of a planted fluff piece because it just wasn't up to the same standard as presiding over a university club for a semester.

Impressive young man.

Thaksins children did.

Amazing. So you think this is about hating Abhisit? This isn't about me either.

I'll make it simple.

- It is a planted PR piece.

- Apparently, some people don't realize when they are being manipulated and don't like to be told that they are.

BTW, nowhere do I talk about myself being important etc. That's claptrap that you have added because you are in denial now and will grab at any excuse to keep the fantasy you want to believe alive. Okay. You weren't suckered. Fine. Anyone with some basic common sense will see this article for what it is. Political manipulation. Did you actually believe you had won a prize when the condo tout handed you a scratch card and it said you won something?

GK with respect -I have no basic common sense that is why I read some of your posts.

Of course it was a PR stunt, you even think people don't have the gorm to realize it--but it wasn't a bad PR stunt--it was quite interesting.

Do you read what you type--because a lot of your self proclaimed image sticks out like a sore thumb.

It was just a bit of news that was nice to know even if the timing was to some peoples favour. You are known to pick at most of what Abhisit does so why deny that ??

Do not underestimate posters knowledge, as you speak " some people don't realize they are being manipulated"

Many a person on TVF could lose you when it comes to General knowledge.

This post of mine was posted to give you an idea how your posts read to others.

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

Near every post is a saga, trying to convince people how important a person you are and of great standing with the upper class, and a world traveler to boot. Your on an ego trip every post.

May I expand on your assessment?

Inflated self-esteem:

a fundamental failure to accept reality. It causes people to be void of empathy & compassion for others.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Impressive young man.

You would be surprised how many Thai kids are offered the advantages of this young man but they prefer to rely on Daddy's money to make life easy rather than commit hard work in a 'rigorous' educational environment. A little like the two 'Ferrari driving' oxygen thieves on you tube in the last couple of days.

Private school costs money, that does not mean the kids have to work and in some schools the consequence of not putting in the work will be removal from the school, regardless of the amount of money you have. Unlike some Universities for example in..the USA where it seems one can go and complete an MA done in the English Language without being able to speak english with any level of coherence - now THAT is a purchased education. Getting through Eton and Oxford with the required academic standard to pass is a good education.

'True success is not in the learning, but in its application to the benefit of mankind'.- H.R.H. Mahidol

Asst. Prof. Dr. Duangkamol Baowan and Asst. Prof. Dr. Chatchai Muanprasat, both from Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, won 2013 Young Scientist awards from Foundation for the Promotion of Science and Technology under the Patronage of His Majesty the King.
Dr. Duangkamol, Mathematics Department, was honored for developing mathematical models to study the behavior of nanomaterials to explain intermolecular energy and forces in nanomaterials. Asst. Prof. Dr. Chatchai . Physiology Department, won the award for developing medicines for diarrhea and thalassemia using materials from the country's natural resources including medicinal plants, fruits and agro-industrial waste.

These Thais didn't go to Oxford and yet they have done alright. I guess they aren't worthy of a planted fluff piece because it just wasn't up to the same standard as presiding over a university club for a semester.

GK

I don't understand your post and how it relates in any way to my post. The only thing I can think of is that today you have got to 'M' in google and Wiki and have settled on 'M' for 'Mahidol' a bit like Sesame Street. I am sure they are all worthy of a planted fluff piece, it just needs someone to write it, so why not pop along to the Nation office and ask if they have any part time jobs for people who claim to be extremely well connected to HiSo's and University Professors.

GK seems very fixated on Mahidol today, in fact I have a lot of respect for Mahidol which produces some fine academics and graduates. It is also a University that from my knowledge and experience a very current anti government following, although maybe GK will deny this as well.

Impressive young man.

I agree with all this and you raise a particularly interesting point.Many of the Thai elite send their children to England for secondary education at expensive public schools though I suspect many (most?) these days proceed to university in the US thereafter.But what is the ingredient that makes Abhisit's nephew buckle down to hard academic study whereas many in his position become semi wastrels.I think it's partly the school (Eton respects and nurtures ambitious boys) but think it's more about the quality of parents.I know I've been hyper critical of Abhisit in the public arena but I am certain in private he's an excellent father - encouraging reading,having family discussions, imparting self confidence, encouraging independent thinking etc etc.I've seen other examples of Thai boys go to almost as celebrated UK schools but who have turned out....well, no need to get too specific.Suffice it to say good parents (which is quite different from loving or generous parents) are critical.

To get into Eton you have to be academically very strong anyway. The place creates its own success because the kids are driven to succeed. It tends to be why academically successful people come out of these places.

They take academically very strong kids in in the first place. They are useless at sport though. We enjoyed getting Wills and Harry stuck at the bottom of the odd ruck. All with a fine disregard for the rules and all that.

I have a old friend who went to Eton my age and absolutely hated it. He couldn't fit in with anyone and the snobbery was horrendous. I am glad I didn't go there, but it does pump out good grades.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Impressive young man.

You obviously missed the scholarship to Eton bit. The kid is smart.

And besides the "purchased education" with or without scholarships,

does NOT purchase the respect of his peers, they give that individually.

bought, bought, bought

Eton scholarship??? so funny... tell that to the Issan farmers son

you just don't "get it"