Siam Country Club - Member looking for partners

roulax

Hi there,

I am a member in Siam Country club ( Old COurse and Plantation + the new opening Waterside).

I am looking for people who would be interested to join a game on saturdays or sundays.

People interested would get members' guest fee which is 2800THB + caddy and cart.

I am french, playing golf for 10 years and my HCP is 3.

I am looking for friendly people with a HCP not higher than 15.

Feel free to contact me by sending an private message.smile.png

Guillaume

Here are the new fees starting from May, 1st.

mini_858692Picture1.jpg

The first time I ever played the Old Course in St. Andrews, it cost the grand sum of 2.50 UK pounds.

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around what Siam is charging.

Edited by chuckd

Hi Chuck,

All courses are in perfect condition all year long, the service is absolutely amazing, the caddies are experienced and friendly.

Both plantation and Old course have the best facilities among all golf courses around Pattaya.

I know it is expensive but some people are still fine to pay these fees to play on those courses.

Guillaume

Hi Chuck,

All courses are in perfect condition all year long, the service is absolutely amazing, the caddies are experienced and friendly.

Both plantation and Old course have the best facilities among all golf courses around Pattaya.

I know it is expensive but some people are still fine to pay these fees to play on those courses.

Guillaume

Siam is the first course I played in Thailand in, as I recall, 1978. I lived in Pattaya from 1993 on and still have a home there.

I've played many pleasant rounds there but do not feel it is worth the member's guest fee of 2,800 baht plus 1,150 baht for the obligatory caddy and cart. Paying these amounts plus caddy tip of at least 300 seems outrageous to me.

Just my own little psychological problem.

Edited by chuckd

Hi Chuck,

Guillaume

Siam is the first course I played in Thailand in, as I recall, 1978. I lived in Pattaya from 1993 on and still have a home there.

I've played many pleasant rounds there but do not feel it is worth the member's guest fee of 2,800 baht plus 1,150 baht for the obligatory caddy and cart. Paying these amounts plus caddy tip of at least 300 seems outrageous to me.

Just my own little psychological problem.

Yes I agree. I don't like to be forced to pay for a cart and caddy I don't want. Maybe once a year would be ok. Some very good courses around Pattaya for around 1000 baht, no cart, but forced caddy for 600 baht.

Here are the new fees starting from May, 1st.

mini_858692Picture1.jpg

OP as a member are you still allowed to walk if you wish or have they made carts compulsory for all - I know guests and visitors have to use a cart?

OP as a member are you still allowed to walk if you wish or have they made carts compulsory for all - I know guests and visitors have to use a cart?

The cart is compulsory for everybody

The compulsory cart part is something I don't mind as I use one anyway for my weekly games in Pattaya. What I cannot and will not do is ever play any course where carts are compulsory BUT you cannot take them on the fairways. All this achieves is the absolute certainty of walking to the other side of the fairway from the cart track (see Murphy's law) to where your ball is to find that the club you really need isn't among the 3 clubs you and your caddy carried across, and with people waiting to hit behind you there's no choice but to play some stupid shot beyond your skills or having to lay up. Next problem is trying to steer shots off the tee against your natural shot shape to stay close to the cart tracks with the inevitable result being.....

The argument that carts ruin fairways is a pure BS, I've played courses in several countries that were holding pro events in the coming days and carts are no problem on the fairways. They may stop carts perhaps 1-3 days before events though but for 1 reason only, so the cameras don't pick up any tyre tracks that might detract from the look of the course to tv viewers. Burapha in Pattaya and Royal Pines on the Gold Coast are prime examples of this.

In short, anyone who gets suckered into paying for a mandatory golf cart then actually ends up walking further during the round than if they played without a car need their heads examined, and you WILL walk vast distances if sticking to the cart paths if you want to GPS your travel for 18 holes some time. Too many good courses in Pattaya that allow carts on fairways to have to deal with that crap.

Edited by Subpar

The compulsory cart part is something I don't mind as I use one anyway for my weekly games in Pattaya. What I cannot and will not do is ever play any course where carts are compulsory BUT you cannot take them on the fairways. All this achieves is the absolute certainty of walking to the other side of the fairway from the cart track (see Murphy's law) to where your ball is to find that the club you really need isn't among the 3 clubs you and your caddy carried across, and with people waiting to hit behind you there's no choice but to play some stupid shot beyond your skills or having to lay up. Next problem is trying to steer shots off the tee against your natural shot shape to stay close to the cart tracks with the inevitable result being.....

The argument that carts ruin fairways is a pure BS, I've played courses in several countries that were holding pro events in the coming days and carts are no problem on the fairways. They may stop carts perhaps 1-3 days before events though but for 1 reason only, so the cameras don't pick up any tyre tracks that might detract from the look of the course to tv viewers. Burapha in Pattaya and Royal Pines on the Gold Coast are prime examples of this.

In short, anyone who gets suckered into paying for a mandatory golf cart then actually ends up walking further during the round than if they played without a car need their heads examined, and you WILL walk vast distances if sticking to the cart paths if you want to GPS your travel for 18 holes some time. Too many good courses in Pattaya that allow carts on fairways to have to deal with that crap.

I partly agree with what you say but the flip side is unfortunately however I have also seen fairways/rough ground up where carts have been driven when it is too wet. So where do you draw the line......

When the course is wet, no carts on the fairways and that's a given. When the course is bone dry AND you've still got to stick to the cart tracks only AND carts are mandatory, well that my friend is pure BS.

Nobody would stop you if you want to walk on the fairway and the caddy drives the cart on the tracks. Though they can be wrong one time on the range of clubs you need, caddies' level is good enough to get the right ones.

Personnally I always walk when I can. Even when I have a cart.

And the top courses with absolute carpet as a fairway are the ones without carts allowed on it: Siam Old and Plantation and Laem Chabang.

Why play on a course that forces you to take a cart, charging you for something you don't want and that makes the game inconvenient? There are plenty of great courses in Thailand that don't have these kinds of cash grabbing policy...Black Mountain, Blue Canyon, Chiang Mai Highlands to name three outstanding examples. Alpine in Chiang Mai is now on my banned list for having just implemented this policy.

So i have to go to phuket huahin or chiangmai to play golf, nice! Except that this is a bit far. And that the greenfees there are the same at 4,000thb incl. caddy.

Getting stucked behind a group of 4 koreans or 5 thais gambling on each hole, which is what you see on all the medium fare courses in the weekends in pattaya, and ending playing your round in 5hrs+, that is what makes my game inconvenient.

I cant have a nice game if i have to wait 10 min in every shot.

Dont like the carts but it forces everybody to play and respect a certain pace too.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Carts do nothing to speed up the game, I don't see how it's going to change gambling on the course or taking forever to putt. On flat courses that are designed without very long walks between holes which is most of them in Thailand. Time wasted on the course is very rarely about getting to your ball, it's the waiting behind every ball before one hits, looking for balls forever, waiting for the caddies to bring clubs or mark balls on the green.

You're happy to play on this kind of course? Good for you... I'd rather play somewhere else

Carts do nothing to speed up the game

We were a 3 ball of single figure players all with our own carts and went around Mountain Shadow in 2:40 earlier this week. Even though we had a very early tee time there were groups in front of us (all in carts) but we didn't have to wait for more than a few seconds for them to motor away on the few occasions we got close. Has any 3 ball in history ever walked that 18 holes in that sort of time?. Of course not, which is why a 3 ball in carts will always catch a 2 ball walking and hopefully be allowed to play through. Carts do everything to speed up play, providing everyone on the course is using them (and can stay on the short stuff obviously).

While carts can speed up the play for unfit people and can allow for quicker play, it is beyond ridiculous to say that a three ball cart would ALWAYS catch up a two ball walking group. Speed of play is governed by many factors such as whether players go straight to their balls and get ready right away, play reasonably well and stay in the fairway and how they manage themselves on the green(huge time wasting there). If I play alone and there's no traffic, I am usually between 2-3 hours walking depending on how I'm playing and whether the course is well designed. Furhermore, if players share a cart, then they have to wait for each other which slows down the game. Golf is a game meant to be walked, carts should be there to assist the old, unfit and the lazy not to cash grab and make the game less enjoyable and take away the health benefits of it.

Well I can certainly understand why you play alone. Bottom line being, if you (and you caddy with your clubs) can cover the ground to where you ball lands in the time it takes someone to drive the same distance in a cart, I wish you luck with your quest for gold in the upcoming Olympics. As for the "old, unfit, and lazy" rot, what about players who want to get 18 holes in AND be back in town by 10:00-10:30 due to comittments?. If there's nobody walking in front of us that won't let us through, we normally manage this easilly. And health benefits are gained by early morning gym sessions on non golf days, not pretending that stop-start walking at a female's caddy speed is some sort of a cardio session laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.b2pAZ_LfnI.png.

First of all, it's quite easy to pick up a club or two and walk to your ball quicker than the caddie can... If you play at the caddies pace even on a cart, it's guaranteed to slow the game down. On the green, they try to clean and mark every ball which loses as much time as the difference between walking and driving to your ball. Here's a little math for you, a cart goes about 15km/hr so it would take around 45sec to get to your drive without counting the getting to the cart, sitting, letting the caddie get settled, accelerating etc... A walk would take about 2 minutes(5km/hr walk) so that mans that on a par 5, you've gained at most 2-3 minutes on a walker. Your theory of the three guys on cart being always faster than two walking is getting pretty thin because if you take the time that the extra person take to set up a drive, a couple of extra shots and their putts, that is easily more than 2-3 minutes. I can already see you counter with the usual, "it's not my experience" so that you don't have to use any logic.

As I said playing quickly is not only about covering the distance between balls, it's about managing the game well which few golfers do regardless of whether they have a cart or not. Wasting 2 or 3 minutes on a hole is a very easy thing to do. 80% of the time, I'm held up by people using carts but it has nothing to do with the cart.

Now if you want to argue that given the same golfer, they will play quicker if the can drive right up to their ball then I can't disagree however that doesn't reflect the reality of what happens on a course.

You might choose to gain some fitness by doing 15 minutes on a Stairmaster, I choose to do it by doing far more than walking 18 holes. That's not the point... People should have a choice to make the game their exercise if they wish to do so and that is how the game is meant to be played. I'm sure you're well aware that carts are not allowed in professional golf nor did they have carts when the game was developed nor does it make the game any better.