Driver kills 3 cops trying to run checkpoint, Bangkok police say

webfact

The BIB should have waited but never do before running off at the mouth to the media.

The members should have waited (for more reporting) but never do before running off at the mouth on TV.

So when do we know the a report is the difinitive version ?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the police a story of events. i assume there is another side.

I for one am always surprised by the lack of safety precautions and foresight at checkpoints. Bad lighting, officers in non reflective uniforms standing in the road....the have certainly surprised me on occasion. however these "checkpoints" are usually to catch such offenders as speeders, drunk drivers etc....surly it must cross the mind of some that the very people they are trying to prevent are precisely the ones who speeding or drunk won't see them in time...or spot the tent on the side?

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

When the headline says a foreigner is killed the first 10 comments are RIP and condolences to the family.

3 police die and the tone is very different, why ??

This is a tragedy, whatever the result of the investigation there are 3 policemen dead and 3 injured, the families of these men will suffer and it seems nobody cares.

Dunno....maybe cuz they're the one with the guns telling everyone what to do. That might possibly reduce people's natural feelings of empathy...somewhat.

• Like 1

In the thread to the main story Police said he wasn't drunk but lost control because he was driving too fast but the headline says he was trying to run the roadblock. If driving too fast maybe panicked and lost control is quite different from the deliberate act of driving fast to get through the roadblock and should upgrade charges in respect of the deaths but TIT.

The BIB should have waited but never do before running off at the mouth to the media.

Those road blocks are major accidents waiting to happen, I have a checkpoint by me and you regularly see cars in the central drainage ditches upside down where the driver rushed up the closed inner lane only realising there was the outer lane open for a check and then swerving over to the outer lane and if not them then forcing others into the ditch.

Like all Thai road works "advance" warning is pathetic, a few neon tubes AT the actual road narrowing when they should be 1km before.

Yes agree, but often these checkpoints are quickies for filling up their wallets, and they're gone. You know how it works whistling.gif

• Like 2

We have the police a story of events. i assume there is another side.

I for one am always surprised by the lack of safety precautions and foresight at checkpoints. Bad lighting, officers in non reflective uniforms standing in the road....the have certainly surprised me on occasion. however these "checkpoints" are usually to catch such offenders as speeders, drunk drivers etc....surly it must cross the mind of some that the very people they are trying to prevent are precisely the ones who speeding or drunk won't see them in time...or spot the tent on the side?

I couldn't agree more as there seems to be little thought given to the positioning of a roadblock or safety of all concerned.

In addition i have yet to see a roadblock with a pursuit vehicle ready to give chase if someone jumps the block or if someone does a sudden u-turn when they reaise a block is there.

• Like 1

I wonder if he had a driving licence.

Also wonder what his punishment will be.

500Baht for each life taken?

RIP to the 3 dead policemen.

No sympathy (to either party) .

All I can say if the decedents had set up a well planned / designed checkpoint they would still be alive 'so save the tears for someone who cares' The coppers were the authors of their own stupidity.

• Like 2

In the thread to the main story Police said he wasn't drunk but lost control because he was driving too fast but the headline says he was trying to run the roadblock. If driving too fast maybe panicked and lost control is quite different from the deliberate act of driving fast to get through the roadblock and should upgrade charges in respect of the deaths but TIT.

Or maybe the police know that he was trying to run the checkpoint, and they're not running their mouths off to the media unlike many posters here who do run their mouths off in an effort to discredit the police even when they themselves are the victims of an incident.

Then why 2 different versions to the media ?

Oh sorry you're the one who is supposed to be picky, didn't mean to sound like you.

Well you certainly now how to try to be picky, that's what your bloody post was doing! Maybe the "running the checkpoint" version was the correct one?

When the headline says a foreigner is killed the first 10 comments are RIP and condolences to the family.

This is a tragedy, whatever the result of the investigation there are 3 policemen dead and 3 injured, the families of these men will suffer and it seems nobody cares.

This is a very pitiful and unfortunate pattern of thought that one see in many posts.

The 'accuser' behaving in a worse manner than the 'accused.' More or less playing the game of "One-upmanship" - which really could be due to a serious psychological issue.

Anyway, RIP the innocent and may their families find consolation during this difficult time.

• Like 2

I wonder if he had a driving licence.

Also wonder what his punishment will be.

500Baht for each life taken?

RIP to the 3 dead policemen.

No sympathy (to either party) .

All I can say if the decedents had set up a well planned / designed checkpoint they would still be alive 'so save the tears for someone who cares' The coppers were the authors of their own stupidity.

Talk about oozing stupidity. You think they set the rest tent up in the middle of the road, or on the pavement? If the driver hadn't been driving out of control on the pavement they would still have been alive don't you think?

Maybe he was driving to fast because he was trying to run the roadblock.

Lunatic operating a motor vehicle.

Lunatics entering a freeway lane and interfering with a lunatic operating a motor vehicle.

Lunatic drives off the road for reasons only a lunatic could know.

Lunatics die. Had they not been sleeping on the job, they would have been doing the same thing the other lunatic had done to make the lunatic in the motor vehicle panic and drive off road.

Lunatics all.

You simply cannot write this stuff. Endeavoring to put this all in a logical and practical sense is about as futile as taking a one millisecond snapshot of an exploding sun, and trying to explain it away as nothing more than a sun spot... whilst ignoring the before and after.

I reckon if I were to walk out in front of a motor vehicle and wave a gun or a wand, that the motor vehicle in question would also veer and lose control. I've had these dumb asses do just that about three times in the last 3 years.

They are all lunatics, and when the results or consequences are reported, and the reporter endeavors to make it like we are in a developed country, and omits all the "befores" and "afters"... then, yeah! sure! one gets that knee jerk reaction to feel sympathy.

Point being, the fault lies with the police.

I'll bet their traffic cones began about 40 meters before the stop point, rather than 300 meters, in order to allow people to begin slowing to enter the check point area. I've seen construction on freeways here. They place their traffic cones about 40 meters just before where they are using the lane for their labors. One barely has enough time to swerve to get over and avoid hitting a bunch of dumb asses standing around a Toyota sitting in the fast lane.

I may be off, but I doubt it. Name the consequences, and tell me Lies Thais are involved, and I'll call all bets off, with no limits.

EDIT: Before anyone loses a guitar string, I have read too many stories about these check point, and how the police unholster and shoot out tires and do all other idiotic things in order to get the motor vehicle to pull over... yes! even such stupid things as walking right out in front of the vehicle. They aren;t interested in having check points in order to ensure the safety of the roads, and hence to have several officers waiting in their cars, trucks or on their motorbikes to pursue and apprehend. 5 meters past any check point it is free and clear.

These check points are nothing more than for lunatics to extort money from other lunatics, and perhaps a small percentage of innocent victims simply wanting to get from point A to point B.

I never heard of any police check point in the USA having tents so the lazy, extorting bastards can sleep off their whiskey whilst on the payroll and then wake up refreshed and with a headache in order to badger and harass the general public for tea money.

Apologies, but I simply don't buy it.

It's OK to slow down before you get to the cones, you won't lose any points for that.

Maybe he was driving to fast because he was trying to run the roadblock.

Maybe he was simply driving the same way they all drive, and he was unsettled by some idiot suddenly walking out in front of his car and scaring the shit out of him? After all... he seemed to have made it as far as that road block, right? I'll bet he very well would have made it to his destination had he not had someone walk out in front of him.

Not drunk... no ileggal drugs or paraphernalia found in his possession, etc etc, but the BIB are going to do a body cavity search on him and run him through the DNA tests and all to find something. I'll bet those tests come back in double time, as compared to the tests that never happen when some sicko rapes a kid.

When it rains just a little, Thais drive like people do in a white-out snow storm in Minnesota. When there is a piece of styrafoam debris on the road, Thais swerve and nearly collide with anyone abreast of them.

Give me a break.

I blame the police. Point: What were they doing there in the first place? Upholding the law?

POINT MADE.

I have also found that when the suspect or victim is innocent, or partially to blame, that the reporter and the police rarely give their side of the account. Well, we ALL know what the police are up to when they have their little gatherings on the side of the road and pull people over, don't we.

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 1

These crazy fast runs that you see almost every day and these drivers that must be presented at any price. It has to be about poor training and poor service ethic. My thoughts are with the dead and injured policemen and their families. I hope the government will take care of the families.

Lunatic operating a motor vehicle.

Lunatics entering a freeway lane and interfering with a lunatic operating a motor vehicle.

Lunatic drives off the road for reasons only a lunatic could know.

Lunatics die. Had they not been sleeping on the job, they would have been doing the same thing the other lunatic had done to make the lunatic in the motor vehicle panic and drive off road.

Lunatics all.

You simply cannot write this stuff. Endeavoring to put this all in a logical and practical sense is about as futile as taking a one millisecond snapshot of an exploding sun, and trying to explain it away as nothing more than a sun spot... whilst ignoring the before and after.

I reckon if I were to walk out in front of a motor vehicle and wave a gun or a wand, that the motor vehicle in question would also veer and lose control. I've had these dumb asses do just that about three times in the last 3 years.

They are all lunatics, and when the results or consequences are reported, and the reporter endeavors to make it like we are in a developed country, and omits all the "befores" and "afters"... then, yeah! sure! one gets that knee jerk reaction to feel sympathy.

Point being, the fault lies with the police.

I'll bet their traffic cones began about 40 meters before the stop point, rather than 300 meters, in order to allow people to begin slowing to enter the check point area. I've seen construction on freeways here. They place their traffic cones about 40 meters just before where they are using the lane for their labors. One barely has enough time to swerve to get over and avoid hitting a bunch of dumb asses standing around a Toyota sitting in the fast lane.

I may be off, but I doubt it. Name the consequences, and tell me Lies Thais are involved, and I'll call all bets off, with no limits.

EDIT: Before anyone loses a guitar string, I have read too many stories about these check point, and how the police unholster and shoot out tires and do all other idiotic things in order to get the motor vehicle to pull over... yes! even such stupid things as walking right out in front of the vehicle. They aren;t interested in having check points in order to ensure the safety of the roads, and hence to have several officers waiting in their cars, trucks or on their motorbikes to pursue and apprehend. 5 meters past any check point it is free and clear.

These check points are nothing more than for lunatics to extort money from other lunatics, and perhaps a small percentage of innocent victims simply wanting to get from point A to point B.

I never heard of any police check point in the USA having tents so the lazy, extorting bastards can sleep off their whiskey whilst on the payroll and then wake up refreshed and with a headache in order to badger and harass the general public for tea money.

Apologies, but I simply don't buy it.

It's OK to slow down before you get to the cones, you won't lose any points for that.

Yes! I'll simply decide to slow down for no apparent reason. Exiting a freeway lane, the exit ramps are designed for one to travel between 60 to 100 KPH with full sight of the intersection or conjunction, and come to a safe and timely stop... sans greedy, extorting <deleted> jumping out in front of you in order to get something for themselves and not for the betterment of the community.

If they were there for something good, I would have sympathy. But they're not. I have no sympathy. You play chicken with traffic and you get what you get. I still maintain that the driver would have made it to point B had the dumb ass not caused him to panic and swerve. Forget his excuses. When you are in the clutches of the BIB, you lie or die. I truly feel sorry for this driver.

• Like 1

Those road blocks are major accidents waiting to happen, I have a checkpoint by me and you regularly see cars in the central drainage ditches upside down where the driver rushed up the closed inner lane only realising there was the outer lane open for a check and then swerving over to the outer lane and if not them then forcing others into the ditch.

Like all Thai road works "advance" warning is pathetic, a few neon tubes AT the actual road narrowing when they should be 1km before.

Yes agree, but often these checkpoints are quickies for filling up their wallets, and they're gone. You know how it works whistling.gif

Even those quikie spots have a kind of warning if you know what to look for, 30+ motcycs with riders and passengers parked at the gas station waiting for the quikie to go, or much of the traffic doing a u turn even ontop of the intersection bridgegiggle.gif

Or maybe the police know that he was trying to run the checkpoint, and they're not running their mouths off to the media unlike many posters here who do run their mouths off in an effort to discredit the police even when they themselves are the victims of an incident.

Then why 2 different versions to the media ?

Oh sorry you're the one who is supposed to be picky, didn't mean to sound like you.

Well you certainly now how to try to be picky, that's what your bloody post was doing! Maybe the "running the checkpoint" version was the correct one?

Should it not be ' know how ' not now how ?

Oh dear temper temper and language too. You can dish it out but not take it but why am I surprised /

Welcome to Thailand...........keep smiling

Cops in this country don't deserve much sympathy, but my condolences to their families and friends nevertheless.

Yeah... same to everyone else who takes up a trade of extortion and corruption and ends up on the crap end of the stick. My sympathy meter is worn out and put to ill use if I go in this direction.

If only he was in a Ferrari....everything would be ok.

Why? Do you think that Ferrari drivers get away with incidents like that? Or do they perhaps have to go on the run whilst the investigation is still very much alive and charges are outstanding and face the music at some time?

If the Ferrari driver is a son from one of the richest families in Thailand, the Owners of the RED BULL drinks company,

YES, than he has time enough and can get away with killing a Thai Policeman in Bangkok. As long as he not comes back.

Has threads about that here in thaivisa.

Edited by ALFREDO

If only he was in a Ferrari....everything would be ok.

I think, not the car, the driver must have the right name or the right connections. whistling.gif

Anyone owning a Ferrari here has enough money to buy their way out.