Chiang Mai Classic

sticklee

The Chiang Mai Classic is on again this year at Alpine Resort. The first marquee player named is Jason Dufner. Alpine won the Best Resort Award at the recent 2013 Awards Gala. And we get to play this fabulous world class course for 1300B starting on Thursday!!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I can't really decide whether I would name Alpine or Highlands as my favourite course in CM. I will make it a duty to decide that in the next couple of weeks. Let the golf festival begin!

Are the prices the same for weekends as weekdays?

I believe that they are. I just played at Royal Chiang Mai today and the price was 1000Baht and it was very quiet, I was on my own and I only managed to catch up a group on the 17th hole. I wasn't impressed with the course, greens were soft and slow and they hadn't raked the sand after the rain last night. I won't be playing it again anytime soon.

I just read via CMSG newsletter that a tentative club tourny May 22 has been cancelled there due to mandatory carts required upping the price to 1900B. Possibly trying to keep the course pristine for this event. Check before you go.

Confirmed. I called this AM, planning to play today. 2000B includes caddie. Alpine loses the plot.....

Not quite in the spirit of the Chiang Mai golf festival! I really don't see how compulsory golf carts protect the course?

Yes I called and received the same answer. Their golf festival promotion is only a package including a cart. It is very obviously a cash grab that has nothing to do with protecting the course.

It works if it discourages people from playing there

I don't think Thai logic (oxymoron?) could think through to that conclusion?

Just the old not so many people lets raise the prices syndrome!

I gather that think they'll make more money than they lose because there's not that many walkers and they figure that some of those will fork out the money for carts. I guess they'll get the answer to the question once they've tried it. They can compare the numbers from last year and decide whether it was better for them or not. As a customer, I don't like it nor will I patronise the course however I don't necessarily assume it will be bad for business.

I gather that think they'll make more money than they lose because there's not that many walkers and they figure that some of those will fork out the money for carts. I guess they'll get the answer to the question once they've tried it. They can compare the numbers from last year and decide whether it was better for them or not. As a customer, I don't like it nor will I patronise the course however I don't necessarily assume it will be bad for business.

Then they really should advise TAT that the information is incorrect on ChiangmaiGolfFestival.org?

I did try but the "contact" form did not work!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if any of the foreign players, particularly the Americans will pull out after the coup.

They would certainly be going against policy and in many eyes justifying/ accepting it if they attend.

A little off topic but certainly relevant.

This event has been cancelled, due to you know what, and may reappear at a later date. Let's hope the Green Valley can slash the green fees and get some local players on during june.

I read this news online at the SCMP.

This event has been cancelled, due to you know what, and may reappear at a later date. Let's hope the Green Valley can slash the green fees and get some local players on during june.

I read this news online at the SCMP.

Green Valley?

• 1 month later...

The Chiangmai Golf Classic is now being played 13th - 16th November 2014

They are still advertising Dufner, Schwartzel etc as taking part but with tournaments likely already booked and the political situation unchanged I would be surprised if they are going to be here?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any up-to-date news on this tourney? It's only 3 weeks away. Duf and Schwartz played in Oz last week.

Scott Hend is going to be there to try to win 2 in a a row, playing well ATM.

Dufner not fit, Schwartzel playing OK.

Watch out for Noh Seung Yul.

Hend for a repeat.

Watching now, Schwartzel 5 over in round one. Hend struggling.

Lift, clean and place which is strange as no rain for a week.

Maybe they simply did the same as last year, over watered to try to mitigate the smog although none this time of the year. A couple of months away.