Older Americans repatriating to the USA -- where is good?

I bought land in Kona..cheap! right above Kailua Kona..surrounded by million dollar properties..

we have a very equable climate..not many changes..though we have every climate except desert dunes and Arctic.. something for everyone..THE HEALTHIEST LIFESTYLE IN AMERICA..Ironman Central.. I'm disabled, no worries.. people are great..an influx of OPTOMISTIC tourists everyday.. no. 1 beach in some worlds... (Mauna Kea)..etc. no ballet, but a varied island the size of Connecticut.. with a windward side, and a leeward side, reachable in a half hour or so..no visa runs and no stinking Florida 'canes.. let's hope.. I used to play in Colo with some Texans who played with Tracy Nelson and Hendrix, who were both here..( Tracy more recently) Texas is a nice place to visit when get Island Fever..'cept the BigIsland... no have.... Da Fevah..

our culture is growing..many artisans, glass blowing...wood turning..painting, pottery..

more latah..gotta sleep.. You people are the bes'(t).. Aloha

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sounds like a nice place. Thought us Haole's were not really welcome in the village communities that are affordable in those islands?

Good Story! I'm being open here 'cause its a good group, most of us are older, and well travelled. Good folks..and I cant think of anywhere better! I love Thailand, tho..

The only villages I can think of are very small towns on Hawaii Island and Maui..etc.

No prob. just loud mouths are wished to go away..The big island coffee table books are cool, find equivalent online..more to come..

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

www.hawaiiislandjournal.com

There, all One needs to know about this place. Also edible Hawaii..p.m. me for any questions..I drove for 4 seasons, and am the poorest landowner I know. I know rich and poor was my point..

(3 am) alohz

• Like 1

Hawaii is #1 on my list and I'm actively checking on affordable real estate, but finding that the RE prices are maybe 5X what they are here and once you're there, the food prices are up to 10X higher than here...........forget eating out, as even McDonalds is 2X Thai prices.

Altho once settled and you have a little soil, you can grow your own [whatever], as the climate and soil are so fertile.

10 years in the jungles there taught me that. And if you still have any marketable skills, then the wages are 10X what you would get here. I'm hoping that I can survive there!!

Hawaii Island..Thai food is 8~10$

McDonalds is around 5~6$ double fish is 3.99, all that I eat there..

Very fertile volcanic soil..gotta charge this thing..

p.m. me before You move over..alohz

www.hawaiiislandjournal.com

There, all One needs to know about this place. Also edible Hawaii..p.m. me for any questions..I drove for 4 seasons, and am the poorest landowner I know. I know rich and poor was my point..

(3 am) alohz

Good reading. Maybe one day? I certainly don't see me fitting into the mainland, been away from there so long that when I do visit, which was last in 2003, nobody believes I'm American with the mixed accent I seem to now speak with. And I feel like a tourist everywhere I go, guess that would be the case in Hawaii too though.

rolleyes.gif MY parents (now both passed away) lived for a while in a retirement community of rented trailers in a small (relatively) town in Florida near the Orlando, Florida area.

Close enough to the city and shopping to drive to easily, but far enough to be out in the country and Orange groves.( that was 30 years ago now).

I visited them then and liked the area.

A retirement trailer park, no one under 60 years of age allowed to live there.

Not perfect, but a nice place to settle into.

If everything goes bad in Thailand, that area might be where I'll end up.

I know JT doesn't like the idea, but I've yet to find a climate that I'd enjoy year round. Hawaii would probably be pretty close, but I don't want to be isolated on an island like that. I was actually born there....

The idea of a 55 and older community came to me from a couple who had retired early and was trying to figure out how to keep from working! 555555

They bought a manufactured home in a community outside Phoenix. Very cheap price, great security so they could lock it up and leave whenever they wanted with no worries, some activities there, quiet, etc. Not 100% my cup of tea, but I like the idea of a home base and then be able to pick and leave for 3-4 months. Easier to do with a condo, harder to do if you have a home (which I desire).

This would make places like the desert cities in the SW a potential. When it gets hot, pack up and head out. Normally required for 3 months.

FWIW I've been to Hawaii more than once when it was far too cold, rainy and windy to consider going to the beach. I've had a couple of vacations ruined that way. The prime time for Americans from the lower 48 and Alaska to go to Hawaii is during their late Winter and early Spring. That's the snowbird time.

As for the 55 and older places, they aren't real popular and prices can be good. My problem with them is that they almost always have a homeowners' association, rules, and a board. I'd have to get permission to change color on my house or to plant a shrub. That doesn't work for me. I want to feel as if I own my land subject only to local building codes.

There are also annual dues to the HOA which to me is like another property tax. I would never buy a home in a subdivision that had a HOA. The conditions, covenants and restrictions are recorded against the property and you agree to them when you accept the title exceptions when you buy.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

FWIW I've been to Hawaii more than once when it was far too cold, rainy and windy to consider going to the beach. I've had a couple of vacations ruined that way. The prime time for Americans from the lower 48 and Alaska to go to Hawaii is during their late Winter and early Spring. That's the snowbird time.

As for the 55 and older places, they aren't real popular and prices can be good. My problem with them is that they almost always have a homeowners' association, rules, and a board. I'd have to get permission to change color on my house or to plant a shrub. That doesn't work for me. I want to feel as if I own my land subject only to local building codes.

There are also annual dues to the HOA which to me is like another property tax. I would never buy a home in a subdivision that had a HOA. The conditions, covenants and restrictions are recorded against the property and you agree to them when you accept the title exceptions when you buy.

Haole Owners accoc. ? ..kidding..c.c.r's..in a subdivision..covenant restrictions and ?

Get a leasehold .. Ag. Paradise..avos, bananas of all kines inc. plaintain and breadfruit..sorry about the ruined vacation..February is the clearest, blue, winter dry, clear..did I say clear..?

Unless there's a Kona Storm.. small S.W. trop. Storm! No prob. but no Sun for a week..(they always double back) Great time to DRIVEto the beach..watch the waves slam into the rocks!

Gotta find my glasses.. HEY! Check out Keola magazine, hope its online..absolutely beautiful Mag. thanks for some interest You Guys..I'm alone on a Mountain, no car..I have a large music network on f.b. (freakbook) .. lol ..this is more interesting..tho if You're bored I can do trhe mutual friend thing with some great Actors[esses] and Singer Songwriters..Emma Stone..Em Susanna (Aus.) and of course Miley is my friend.. lol

Will Smith's son..and his Jenner g.f.. hows that for a wide swath of subject..

Good morning, everyone.. alohz

Edited by KonaRain

Interesting about the weather in Hawaii. We had the same in San Diego. We'd be bundled up on the beach, body surfing with full wet suits on, while the tourists would be frolicking around in just a swimsuit...and not be cold! San Diego on the beach in winter is quite cold. Especially in the mornings.

HOA's are a pain, but sometimes are good. Would have stopped a neighbor from building a horse corral in the back of his property which was right on a golf course. The smell was horrendous when it was hot...not to mention the clouds of flies. But yes, some are too much. My friend lived in a place and he would get "fined" for leaving his garage door open too long.

• Like 1

Interesting about the weather in Hawaii. We had the same in San Diego. We'd be bundled up on the beach, body surfing with full wet suits on, while the tourists would be frolicking around in just a swimsuit...and not be cold! San Diego on the beach in winter is quite cold. Especially in the mornings.

HOA's are a pain, but sometimes are good. Would have stopped a neighbor from building a horse corral in the back of his property which was right on a golf course. The smell was horrendous when it was hot...not to mention the clouds of flies. But yes, some are too much. My friend lived in a place and he would get "fined" for leaving his garage door open too long.

I've never lived in a town that would let you keep a horse or cow or chickens or other farm animals. You'd have to move outside the incorporated town/city area to do that. That would put you in the county.

I've always lived outside of a town in the county, but everyone had acreage and houses weren't close together.

I'm about ready for a house in town to get rid of the upkeep on a larger place. Even that with no HOA will be a shock to my system.

• Like 1

It was in Nevada and in the town/city area. Definitely not in the country. Nevada's laws can be very "open". LOL.

These houses were on 1/2 to 1 acre lots. So not very far apart. One homeowner recently was sued and had to remove the horses, but it took several years for the case to get through the court system.

I'm no fan of cookie cutter housing developments like they have in the Western US.

There is some sense in covenants and zoning laws in that a pig farm, karaoke or welding shop won't move next door as is often the case here in LOS.

Regarding dues for the upkeep of the development, I would rather have maintained roads and community improvements than letting the roads deteriorate to 4 WD as happened in a development I lived in Hawaii that had no association as most developments in Puna are still.

homeowners' association, rules, and a board...............It all depends on who runs the show.

There is some sense in covenants and zoning laws in that a pig farm, karaoke or welding shop won't move next door as is often the case here in LOS.

Regarding dues for the upkeep of the development, I would rather have maintained roads and community improvements than letting the roads deteriorate to 4 WD as happened in a development I lived in Hawaii that had no association as most developments in Puna are still.

homeowners' association, rules, and a board...............It all depends on who runs the show.

This is about living in the US, right? I don't know of any town in the US that doesn't have zoning. Businesses here, homes there, places with late night entertainment limited to certain areas, etc.

If you have a homeowners' assn., you may well have private streets which the homeowners must pay to maintain. Otherwise the streets are built to city code, inspected by the city and then deeded to the city which does all maintenance with tax money. I've never seen a city street badly deteriorated but then I've never lived in some of the slums. Dunno there.

• Like 1

Just a thought Kona...

This thread is about where Americans might live in the U.S. if they've decided to leave Thailand -- not a travel log about Hawaii.

If you want to make a thread about leaving Thailand for Hawaii, I'm sure the forum could accommodate that elsewhere.

Meanwhile, there are lots of OTHER places in the U.S. that are viable places for U.S. folks to discuss returning to.

Thanks, Most of the posts have been about Florida and other places..Texas Oregon, which I praised, very little about Cali...Tenn. is great for musicians..Louisville. .I just wanted to share..helped a couple guys already..I wasnt sure those mags. I posted were online! Great stuff..I will start a thread..trade Hawaiian Land for Thai Land..Aloha

-snip-

Why NeverSure cannot accept any place other than the north central part of Texas as having any characteristics making it worth living in is beyond me. Someone who has experienced the international diversity of travelling and living in Thailand would be bored to death there.

The topic is "Older Americans repatriating to the USA -- where is good?"

It is not about whether any other country is better, including Thailand.

It has also developed into an understandable cost of living discussion.

I know the US like the back of my hand. Name me a place that is better than N. Central Texas in all areas including weather, housing costs, taxes, safety, diversity (with 6 million people there is something for everyone.)

Go ahead. Name it and I'll bust it.

i name North West Central Texas tongue.png

• Like 1

Aloha.. that's what got me..Im at latitude 20°, same as LOS..

I've accomplished my task..met some from Hawaii, and a couple might move here . I'll be back after the talk moves east again..

'Don't Californicate Colorado, Oregon..seen 'em both..only Cali. mentioned was San Diego..lol

Edited by KonaRain

More on the national trend of senior roommates in the USA driven by high rents. Something to like forward to or dread? These might be the lucky ones, being able to afford a decent place in the L.A. area even as a roommate.

Still, according to this the average share only lasts about two years ... OK sometimes obviously a roommate dies ... but this indicates people are still needing to MOVE a lot in old age. That's not so nice!

RISING RENT LEADS SOME SENIORS BACK TO LIVING WITH ROOMMATES

http://www.latimes.com/great-reads/la-me-c1-old-roommates-20140502-m-story.html#page=1

More on the national trend of senior roommates in the USA driven by high rents. Something to like forward to or dread? These might be the lucky ones, being able to afford a decent place in the L.A. area even as a roommate.

Still, according to this the average share only lasts about two years ... OK sometimes obviously a roommate dies ... but this indicates people are still needing to MOVE a lot in old age. That's not so nice!

RISING RENT LEADS SOME SENIORS BACK TO LIVING WITH ROOMMATES

http://www.latimes.com/great-reads/la-me-c1-old-roommates-20140502-m-story.html#page=1

1. You can buy a house with payments less than rent. People really aren't into buying in the US as they once were, so they rent.

2. I see nothing wrong with having a room mate if money is real tight. A couple of generations ago extended families lived together. That became passe' so the parents have to fend. Part of the reason may be that people are so mobile. Kids may be transferred all over the country in their careers.

3. If I had a home but was struggling, I could find two roommates each to have a private bedroom and share a bath, and get $1,000 a month from the pair to cover my entire housing costs and then some. They in turn would get a home, laundry room, kitchen to share, high speed internet and cable TV, all other utilities and lawn maintenance. $500 each might just be the ticket for them.

When you're on the lower rung of the ladder you have to fend.

Let's buy THIS with $8K down and payments about $500 including taxes and insurance, pull in $1k from renters and live for free.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Did everyone know that Texas is larger than any country in Europe except Russia?

Is bigger a good thing? coffee1.gif

Yescoffee1.gif

So Delaware is chopped liver then? OK. Settled.

The Texas economy currently ranks 14th just behind Russia and ahead of Australia. Texas was 13th in 2008.

I don't think Delaware has an economy. It may be negative. http://state-facts.findthedata.org/compare/1-8/Delaware-vs-Texas

Just wondering how many of us have Thai families, as that would have a lot of baring on where in US to relocate. Considering schools, medical offered by state, other Thai people in area, Asian grocery stores and most importantly weather. Imagine relocating your Thai family to the midwest during the snows of winter..........

I do get the feeling from most of the posts that most are free and single guys with no real estate or other THB possessions that can just throw their few possessions into a suitcase and jump on a plane.

Am I right??

• Like 1

Just wondering how many of us have Thai families, as that would have a lot of baring on where in US to relocate. Considering schools, medical offered by state, other Thai people in area, Asian grocery stores and most importantly weather. Imagine relocating your Thai family to the midwest during the snows of winter..........

I do get the feeling from most of the posts that most are free and single guys with no real estate or other THB possessions that can just throw their few possessions into a suitcase and jump on a plane.

Am I right??

I would guess you are right and yes, definitely a different situation for you and others in the same situation. I'm unencumbered and I'd bet a majority of the posters here are as well.

Am I right??

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm single, don't own anything of note in Thailand, have several properties in the US and don't plan to ever locate totally to Thailand.

I'm the one who's been promoting Texas, but as an inexpensive, moderate weather place for single guys on a budget. Texas wouldn't be a good place for a family on a very low budget - meaning needing "entitlements." Texans are independent and "entitlements" are better in the cold Northern states.

Texas is low on the list of handing out freebies, but it also has low taxes and a balanced budget. Wonder why, lol.

Kalifornia has easy freebies and high taxes but it is very likely to file bankruptcy. Wonder why, lol.

The states that are the most apt to hand out freebies are the liberal states in the Northeast. Those are also some of the states with the longest and coldest winters. They also tend to have very high housing prices both to buy and to rent and they have high taxes. After all, if you're going to live with the folks at Haaahvaahd Uni in Baahstun Mess-achusetts, you're going to pay for all of their great social ideas.

If you can be financially self-supporting, get a job with family health insurance benefits, The Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas has low living costs and a population of about 6 million people so I'm sure there are Thai foods and people. For sure I know of one town of just 100,000 people that has an Asian grocery store. The weather is moderate and Thais might even be more comfortable there than in hot, humid Thailand.

Texas has a low unemployment rate and is highly ranked as business friendly.

Edited by NeverSure

Am I right??

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm single, don't own anything of note in Thailand, have several properties in the US and don't plan to ever locate totally to Thailand.

I'm the one who's been promoting Texas, but as an inexpensive, moderate weather place for single guys on a budget. Texas wouldn't be a good place for a family on a very low budget - meaning needing "entitlements." Texans are independent and "entitlements" are better in the cold Northern states.

Texas is low on the list of handing out freebies, but it also has low taxes and a balanced budget. Wonder why, lol.

Kalifornia has easy freebies and high taxes but it is very likely to file bankruptcy. Wonder why, lol.

The states that are the most apt to hand out freebies are the liberal states in the Northeast. Those are also some of the states with the longest and coldest winters. They also tend to have very high housing prices both to buy and to rent and they have high taxes. After all, if you're going to live with the folks at Haaahvaahd Uni in Baahstun Mess-achusetts, you're going to pay for all of their great social ideas.

If you can be financially self-supporting, get a job with family health insurance benefits, The Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas has low living costs and a population of about 6 million people so I'm sure there are Thai foods and people. For sure I know of one town of just 100,000 people that has an Asian grocery store. The weather is moderate and Thais might even be more comfortable there than in hot, humid Thailand.

Texas has a low unemployment rate and is highly ranked as business friendly.

As a 5th generation Texan, I can say that I would not recommend Texas as it currently stands. I know I would not go back there to live for the foreseeable future. Thailand, for all its craziness is still my preference.

True, Texas does have low taxes and a balanced budget but that is because of policies that result in things like a large number of its children being uninsured, environmental issues that require federal government intervention to keep the environment safe, and a general pro-business environment that puts consumers second. Texas is one of only 3 or 4 states that does not have mandatory workers' compensation to take care of workers injured on the job.

As for social issues, Texas still has a state board of education that would love to see creationism taught as real science. They still believe the earth was created in 7 days.

As for politics, we have a nutty governor that, while not a professed Tea Partier, has a lot in common with their loony ideas. And the state as a whole is leaning ever more to the far right.

I am and always will be a Texan but I really miss the days where concerned about and looked out for each other.

David

• Like 2