Older Americans repatriating to the USA -- where is good?

Dozens of Texas communities with less than 90 days of water

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/Dozens-of-Texas-communities-with-less-than-90-days-of-water-259782111.html

I've lived in Texas and Oregon. Texas has the The Mosquito Festival in Clute. I have never seen so many mosquito in one place. Driving from the beach after the second row of houses the windshield of a car turns black with mosquitoes. Texas also has the Ice House. Never seen them anywhere else. Ride up on your favorite horse get drunk and hope the horse remembers the way home.

I think you can still tube to class in New Braunfels. The house is about 90 years old and for sale at 5.4 million baht. I think the Lone Ranger was from New Braunfels. Tonto I don't know. Not many Indian reservations in Texas. Hmmm. Wonder what happened to all of the Native Americans?

post-187908-0-92963200-1400567815_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Detroit is making a comeback and housing is really cheap.

Buying real estate in Detroit may be a scam unless you know the place. Many neighborhoods are gang controlled and they burn houses for fun.

There has been a lot of changes in Detroit. DETROIT (CNNMoney.com) -- Detroit is one of America's largest cities, but there isn't a single national grocery chain store within the city limits.

Spurned by national retailers, Detroit's nearly 1 million residents instead rely on independent stores run by local entrepreneurs for their most basic needs. Is Walmart brave enough to go into Detroit? No.

It should be no surprise Detroit tops the Forbes list of the Most Dangerous Cities this year for the fifth year in a row.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2013/10/22/detroit-again-tops-list-of-most-dangerous-cities-but-crime-rate-dips/

Just wondering how many of us have Thai families, as that would have a lot of baring on where in US to relocate. Considering schools, medical offered by state, other Thai people in area, Asian grocery stores and most importantly weather. Imagine relocating your Thai family to the midwest during the snows of winter..........

I do get the feeling from most of the posts that most are free and single guys with no real estate or other THB possessions that can just throw their few possessions into a suitcase and jump on a plane.

Am I right??

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm single, don't own anything of note in Thailand, have several properties in the US and don't plan to ever locate totally to Thailand.

I'm the one who's been promoting Texas, but as an inexpensive, moderate weather place for single guys on a budget. Texas wouldn't be a good place for a family on a very low budget - meaning needing "entitlements." Texans are independent and "entitlements" are better in the cold Northern states.

Texas is low on the list of handing out freebies, but it also has low taxes and a balanced budget. Wonder why, lol.

Kalifornia has easy freebies and high taxes but it is very likely to file bankruptcy. Wonder why, lol.

The states that are the most apt to hand out freebies are the liberal states in the Northeast. Those are also some of the states with the longest and coldest winters. They also tend to have very high housing prices both to buy and to rent and they have high taxes. After all, if you're going to live with the folks at Haaahvaahd Uni in Baahstun Mess-achusetts, you're going to pay for all of their great social ideas.

If you can be financially self-supporting, get a job with family health insurance benefits, The Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas has low living costs and a population of about 6 million people so I'm sure there are Thai foods and people. For sure I know of one town of just 100,000 people that has an Asian grocery store. The weather is moderate and Thais might even be more comfortable there than in hot, humid Thailand.

Texas has a low unemployment rate and is highly ranked as business friendly.

As a 5th generation Texan, I can say that I would not recommend Texas as it currently stands. I know I would not go back there to live for the foreseeable future. Thailand, for all its craziness is still my preference.

True, Texas does have low taxes and a balanced budget but that is because of policies that result in things like a large number of its children being uninsured, environmental issues that require federal government intervention to keep the environment safe, and a general pro-business environment that puts consumers second. Texas is one of only 3 or 4 states that does not have mandatory workers' compensation to take care of workers injured on the job.

As for social issues, Texas still has a state board of education that would love to see creationism taught as real science. They still believe the earth was created in 7 days.

As for politics, we have a nutty governor that, while not a professed Tea Partier, has a lot in common with their loony ideas. And the state as a whole is leaning ever more to the far right.

I am and always will be a Texan but I really miss the days where concerned about and looked out for each other.

David

I understand your concerns. I have a different view because if Texas met all of the "looked out for each other" ideas that some places have, it couldn't have a balanced budget or be an affordable place to live. There are enough places in this world that have high taxes to cover spending and still can't balance a budget.

I don't think what the board of education thinks affects me because I don't have kids in school and was discussing an affordable place to retire with decent neighbors, decent weather and low housing costs.

Because the greater Dallas Fort Worth area has a population of 6 million people (but doesn't feel like it because it's spread out on the Great Plains,) there will be something for everyone. There will be groups of like minded people about.

Detroit is making a comeback and housing is really cheap.

Buying real estate in Detroit may be a scam unless you know the place. Many neighborhoods are gang controlled and they burn houses for fun.

There has been a lot of changes in Detroit. DETROIT (CNNMoney.com) -- Detroit is one of America's largest cities, but there isn't a single national grocery chain store within the city limits.

Spurned by national retailers, Detroit's nearly 1 million residents instead rely on independent stores run by local entrepreneurs for their most basic needs. Is Walmart brave enough to go into Detroit? No.

It should be no surprise Detroit tops the Forbes list of the Most Dangerous Cities this year for the fifth year in a row.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2013/10/22/detroit-again-tops-list-of-most-dangerous-cities-but-crime-rate-dips/

Detroit also has bitter cold winters that I would avoid. What a creepy place to go, even if they gave you a house for free.

• Like 1

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/Dozens-of-Texas-communities-with-less-than-90-days-of-water-259782111.html

I've lived in Texas and Oregon. Texas has the The Mosquito Festival in Clute. I have never seen so many mosquito in one place. Driving from the beach after the second row of houses the windshield of a car turns black with mosquitoes. Texas also has the Ice House. Never seen them anywhere else. Ride up on your favorite horse get drunk and hope the horse remembers the way home.

I think you can still tube to class in New Braunfels. The house is about 90 years old and for sale at 5.4 million baht. I think the Lone Ranger was from New Braunfels. Tonto I don't know. Not many Indian reservations in Texas. Hmmm. Wonder what happened to all of the Native Americans?

Droughts come and go. When I google Texas drought, about 1/2 of the articles are predicting an el nino this summer and fall that will fill it all back up. This drought goes all the way to California and it will pass. The drought in the 1930's that turned much of the mid west into what they called The Dust Bowl had to have been worse. Read John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.

Droughts come and go. When I google Texas drought, about 1/2 of the articles are predicting an el nino this summer and fall that will fill it all back up. This drought goes all the way to California and it will pass. The drought in the 1930's that turned much of the mid west into what they called The Dust Bowl had to have been worse. Read John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.

Have you ever lived in Texas?

No, but I own rentals there. Spend a lot of time there.

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a better alternative for the returning expat on a budget, considering home costs, weather, etc.

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a better alternative for the returning expat on a budget, considering home costs, weather, etc.

Don't you think it a bit odd that a person who has never lived in Texas or Thailand is advising people who live in Thailand to move to Texas? I have lived all over Texas. Thailand beats Texas ten ways to one. You know what they say, "Good Texans go to Colorado when they die." If you all think Thais don't like Farang try being a Yankee in Texas. About the only place that competes with rents in Thailand's is one of your kids screened in back porches.

I just realized what I read. Neversure has rental properties in Texas. Now it all makes sense.

Edited by thailiketoo

Don't you think it a bit odd that a person who has never lived in Texas or Thailand is advising people who live in Thailand to move to Texas? I have lived all over Texas. Thailand beats Texas ten ways to one. You know what they say, "Good Texans go to Colorado when they die." If you all think Thais don't like Farang try being a Yankee in Texas. About the only place that competes with rents in Thailand's is one of your kids screened in back porches.

I just realized what I read. Neversure has rental properties in Texas. Now it all makes sense.

You aren't tracking the thread. It isn't about which is better - Thailand or the US. It's about "If" an American repatriates to the US, where is the best place to go. Then it began to include living costs in various areas in the US.

I haven't talked about rentals but rather have shown how I think it's cheaper to buy that to rent right now in Texas. That's why I buy and rent out and encourage others to do the same.

I don't know why you feel the need to come in here off topic rather than offer alternatives to Texas for expats returning to the US taking into consideration cost of housing/living and weather. But you're welcome to.

This doesn't need to be a personal attack unless you're drunk. Just propose your alternative ideas and state why somewhere else in the US is better. thumbsup.gif

You aren't tracking the thread. It isn't about which is better - Thailand or the US. It's about "If" an American repatriates to the US, where is the best place to go. Then it began to include living costs in various areas in the US.

I haven't talked about rentals but rather have shown how I think it's cheaper to buy that to rent right now in Texas. That's why I buy and rent out and encourage others to do the same.

I don't know why you feel the need to come in here off topic rather than offer alternatives to Texas for expats returning to the US taking into consideration cost of housing/living and weather. But you're welcome to.

This doesn't need to be a personal attack unless you're drunk. Just propose your alternative ideas and state why somewhere else in the US is better. thumbsup.gif

You are right this is a "leave Thailand thread because the USA is better." I forgot.

I guess we aren't allowed to compare Thailand to the USA as that would be off topic. thumbsup.gif

Punta Gorda/Charlotte country Florida or Hot springs Ark, Ponca city OK are all much nicer and the same price or less with about the same climate as Fort Worth TX

Edited by thailiketoo

Not to change the topic of THIS thread (thanks folks, it's going pretty well) ... I do want to highlight another related thread I just started about one of the newer complications for retired expats abroad:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/727743-thorny-new-issue-on-the-radar-for-us-expats-regarding-ira-accounts/?p=7855089

Basically about large IRA firms not welcoming expat business, to the point of actually KICKING us out even if we've been with them for decades.

This is getting ridiculous ... I'm not sure I can cope with the U.S. policies being so difficult ... so I might just be more or less forced to repatriate sooner than I had imagined.

Again IF you'd like to contribute that THAT topic (expat IRA nightmare) please post on the suggested there, not here.

Thanks again.

Edited by Jingthing

North East Florida

No state tax, world class medical facilities, low crime, inexpensive real-estate,low property tax, property tax increase limited to 3% per year, warm weather, low energy costs, Lot's of fun places to visit. great fishing, ten min to beach, etc.

Large Thai communities, Many asian markets, Good schools

North East Florida

No state tax, world class medical facilities, low crime, inexpensive real-estate,low property tax, property tax increase limited to 3% per year, warm weather, low energy costs, Lot's of fun places to visit. great fishing, ten min to beach, etc.

And I added, Punta Gorda/Charlotte country Florida or Hot springs Ark, Ponca city OK are all much nicer and the same price or less with about the same climate as Fort Worth TX.

I thought neversure was going to swoop down and shoot holes in any other place outside of the area in Texas where he has rent houses?

I really like Florida, and Georgia too. My issue is that I don't do well in high heat and humidly. That's one reason I come to LOS only part time with the seasons.

All of the S Eastern US has high humidity and warm to hot weather. That's from about New Orleans up to Memphis and across to the Carolinas. Even Houston Texas is far more humid than Dallas.

If I was looking at the South I'd also look at Atlanta Georgia with very cheap home prices and Emory Medical School and hospital.

When looking at these places in the South, check the demographics, too.

Edit: "Snowbirds" are people who winter in Florida or another SE state, and then return to their Northern state in the summer. They escape the heat and humidity of the South in the summer, and the cold winters of the N. There are many places that have moderate weather year round, and the trick is finding a good one with cheap houses and very good medical facilities.

Edited by NeverSure

North East Florida

Sounds good, suggest a few places please.........

Assuming you were talking about the Jacksonville area, I just did a quick check on the area and found real estate prices quite low, but the weather channel says that it's hot and muggy.

My quick check method is to locate a place on Craigslist and check housing prices, then a weather check to see if it is in my comfort zone of 70f to 80f. If it qualifies, then I investigate further...........population, Asian grocery stores, Thai restaurants [for the wife], school, crime rate and medical facilities.

Having established that most on this thread are single and free to go anywhere they want [lucky dogs] and I'm [happily] encumbered with a Thai wife and kids, I may start another thread for any input from others like me.

North East Florida

Sounds good, suggest a few places please.........

Your best bet will be in Palm Coast . Flagler county.

Flagler county was one of the fastest growing counties in the US early 2000 ths and when the economy went bust it was hurt the most, many people moved out to find employment elsewhere, consequently there is a lot of realestate inventory and prices are very reasonable.

The only thing I dont like are all the cameras in every traffic light.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/32164/price-na-100000

The town of Flagler beach, in Flagler county is also very nice, it is located between the intercostal waterway and the Atlantic ocean, walk to the beach from every place,if you like this kind of thing, but a bit more expensive.

post-60134-0-27859500-1401112463_thumb.j

Saint Augustine is an other good option IMO

While I am a long way off from SS and MediCal stuff it is interesting that many want to move back. Some time back I wanted to put a demographic spreadsheet together showing the US expats that are quite content versus the ones that want to come back, why, and where they live or lived in Thailand. Like anywhere in the world, location is everything. I think some move out into Isaan and realize that while it may have been a good idea at the time, its not such a good one for a myriad of reasons thus driving them back to the US. There are some deals to be had on properties in the US but there is always trade offs which is no different than moving abroad. I hope I never feel the need to move back because I could not find adequate medical care.

Good Read.

• Like 1

While I am a long way off from SS and MediCal stuff it is interesting that many want to move back. Some time back I wanted to put a demographic spreadsheet together showing the US expats that are quite content versus the ones that want to come back, why, and where they live or lived in Thailand. Like anywhere in the world, location is everything. I think some move out into Isaan and realize that while it may have been a good idea at the time, its not such a good one for a myriad of reasons thus driving them back to the US. There are some deals to be had on properties in the US but there is always trade offs which is no different than moving abroad. I hope I never feel the need to move back because I could not find adequate medical care.

Good Read.

Not wanting to move back,

But some for reasons beyond their control , such as, medical, or family reasons might have to.

It does not hurt to have a plan B in case plan A does not work.

Good Read.

Not wanting to move back,

But some for reasons beyond their control , such as, medical, or family reasons might have to.

It does not hurt to have a plan B in case plan A does not work.

Oh I agree. We will most definitely live in both places and the wifey feels the same. 9 months here and 3 months in the states. With no kids it makes it quite easy. While she is more driven to stay here because it is cheaper, if things change we want a path back to the states. I have set aside cash which will not be touched unless that time arrives.

That said, I am still curious the demographics of the ones wanting to return.

Regarding medical needs here in LOS..............when you're young and healthy, the Thai system is quite affordable and decent quality for minor things, but as you age to the 'golden years' [over 65], the scales tip towards the US with the medical safety net.

I've been able to self insure here for more than a decade, but some serious medical conditions are catching up with me @ 67years of age and the sad fact is that the Thai system is quite lacking as well as becoming more expensive when it comes to dealing with the elderly. I witnessed that with my Father's last 5 years ending in death with me caregiving him here and seeing the short comings of the system.

Did you know that there are no geriatrics specialists here?? and no hospice for when 'the time comes'.

My liver is compromised by hepatitis C and the new cures are not even known here and the system here is 10 to 20 years behind the west.

Bottom line, LOS is a great country for the young, but is not the best place to be old and have a condition that requires the latest cutting edge meds tor tx, and not the best country to be in any kind of pain, where the only way to get the heavy duty pain meds is IN the hospital. None can be administered at home.

• Like 1

I get free VA medical care in the States to include medications but if you read the news 40 vets have recently died waiting for an appointment. So who knows. My grandfather checked into the hospital at 80 and died in two days. My grandmother and mother and father all died of things that could be treated in Thailand the same as the West but all end in death because of old age.

I have had a couple of serious operations here no problems or only minor problems. I've lived all over Florida and the Southwest to include Texas. It's OK. If you have read my other posts you know I have some rather eccentric tastes. How many people know there are casinos in Ponca City OK?

There are towns in the mountains that have the same kind of entertainment that existed during the silver boom in Idaho and Washington. My wife made us move from Spokane Washington because it was too wild, and it was. I like small town America especially the small towns with gambling and ladies and all night saloons but you aren't going to see that in the travel brochures.

Did you know a beer at Rick's Cabaret in Texas was $8.50 30 years ago and the price is still $8.50. Imagine no inflation in beer prices in 30 years!

Edited by thailiketoo

I get free VA medical care in the States to include medications but if you read the news 40 vets have recently died waiting for an appointment. So who knows. My grandfather checked into the hospital at 80 and died in two days. My grandmother and mother and father all died of things that could be treated in Thailand the same as the West but all end in death because of old age.

I have had a couple of serious operations here no problems or only minor problems. I've lived all over Florida and the Southwest to include Texas. It's OK. If you have read my other posts you know I have some rather eccentric tastes. How many people know there are casinos in Ponca City OK?

There are towns in the mountains that have the same kind of entertainment that existed during the silver boom in Idaho and Washington. My wife made us move from Spokane Washington because it was too wild, and it was. I like small town America especially the small towns with gambling and ladies and all night saloons but you aren't going to see that in the travel brochures.

Did you know a beer at Rick's Cabaret in Texas was $8.50 30 years ago and the price is still $8.50. Imagine no inflation in beer prices in 30 years!

OUCH...$8.50 30 years ago. Man they made a killing, explains why they can still hold the price. I can buy a nice 6 pak for $6.50. 555....Just poking fun at ya.

One thing you mention is Casino's. I miss those. I like my gambling nights.

As for medical, Its not on my radar screen. Last thing I want to do is to have to live somewhere I do not want to so I can have pain killers. That's a Crutch IMHO and its why 90% of Americans are "junkies". If you have pain, bear through it or do they like they used to do before all this fancy medicine was out for people to become addicted too, Have a shot or 2 of some good Bourbon or Tequila. Ahhh all is well. When its time to go, Its time to go, Besides who wants to live with pain and suffering and taking a regiment of pills everyday? That's not a quality of life I would want anyway. I saddens me to see people live longer and have to wear adult diapers, Drool, have to be pushed around in wheel chairs. etc. Just how is that a life?

Edited by JAFO

OUCH...$8.50 30 years ago. Man they made a killing, explains why they can still hold the price. I can buy a nice 6 pak for $6.50. 555....Just poking fun at ya.

As for medical, Its not on my radar screen. Last thing I want to do is to have to live somewhere I do not want to so I can have pain killers. That's a Crutch IMHO and its why 90% of Americans are "junkies". If you have pain, bear through it or do they like they used to do before all this fancy medicine was out for people to become addicted too, Have a shot or 2 of some good Bourbon or Tequila. Ahhh all is well. When its time to go, Its time to go, Besides who wants to live with pain and suffering and taking a regiment of pills everyday? That's not a quality of life I would want anyway. I saddens me to see people live longer and have to wear adult diapers, Drool, have to be pushed around in wheel chairs. etc. Just how is that a life?

Before the fancy medicine opium was legal and in 1830 the average American drank 1.7 bottles of whiskey a week. The Average my god think of what it meant is someone called you a drunk? We are talking Churchill here.

Before the fancy medicine opium was legal and in 1830 the average American drank 1.7 bottles of whiskey a week. The Average my god think of what it meant is someone called you a drunk? We are talking Churchill here.

Man...the good ol days. 555. I wonder if they called people drunks back then?

Now we call it substance abuse and we have therapy groups everywhere to help you get over it.

Sorry, we got off topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering how many of us have Thai families, as that would have a lot of baring on where in US to relocate. Considering schools, medical offered by state, other Thai people in area, Asian grocery stores and most importantly weather. Imagine relocating your Thai family to the midwest during the snows of winter..........

I do get the feeling from most of the posts that most are free and single guys with no real estate or other THB possessions that can just throw their few possessions into a suitcase and jump on a plane.

Am I right??

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm single, don't own anything of note in Thailand, have several properties in the US and don't plan to ever locate totally to Thailand.

I'm the one who's been promoting Texas, but as an inexpensive, moderate weather place for single guys on a budget. Texas wouldn't be a good place for a family on a very low budget - meaning needing "entitlements." Texans are independent and "entitlements" are better in the cold Northern states.

Texas is low on the list of handing out freebies, but it also has low taxes and a balanced budget. Wonder why, lol.

Kalifornia has easy freebies and high taxes but it is very likely to file bankruptcy. Wonder why, lol.

The states that are the most apt to hand out freebies are the liberal states in the Northeast. Those are also some of the states with the longest and coldest winters. They also tend to have very high housing prices both to buy and to rent and they have high taxes. After all, if you're going to live with the folks at Haaahvaahd Uni in Baahstun Mess-achusetts, you're going to pay for all of their great social ideas.

If you can be financially self-supporting, get a job with family health insurance benefits, The Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas has low living costs and a population of about 6 million people so I'm sure there are Thai foods and people. For sure I know of one town of just 100,000 people that has an Asian grocery store. The weather is moderate and Thais might even be more comfortable there than in hot, humid Thailand.

Texas has a low unemployment rate and is highly ranked as business friendly.

As a 5th generation Texan, I can say that I would not recommend Texas as it currently stands. I know I would not go back there to live for the foreseeable future. Thailand, for all its craziness is still my preference.

True, Texas does have low taxes and a balanced budget but that is because of policies that result in things like a large number of its children being uninsured, environmental issues that require federal government intervention to keep the environment safe, and a general pro-business environment that puts consumers second. Texas is one of only 3 or 4 states that does not have mandatory workers' compensation to take care of workers injured on the job.

As for social issues, Texas still has a state board of education that would love to see creationism taught as real science. They still believe the earth was created in 7 days.

As for politics, we have a nutty governor that, while not a professed Tea Partier, has a lot in common with their loony ideas. And the state as a whole is leaning ever more to the far right.

I am and always will be a Texan but I really miss the days where concerned about and looked out for each other.

David

I understand your concerns. I have a different view because if Texas met all of the "looked out for each other" ideas that some places have, it couldn't have a balanced budget or be an affordable place to live. There are enough places in this world that have high taxes to cover spending and still can't balance a budget.

I don't think what the board of education thinks affects me because I don't have kids in school and was discussing an affordable place to retire with decent neighbors, decent weather and low housing costs.

Because the greater Dallas Fort Worth area has a population of 6 million people (but doesn't feel like it because it's spread out on the Great Plains,) there will be something for everyone. There will be groups of like minded people about.

I just looked up the averagedaily high temperature in Dallas for the summer and it looks brutal June 92 July and August 96. In September it falls all the way down to 89.

Edited by quidnunc

• 2 weeks later...

I just looked up the averagedaily high temperature in Dallas for the summer and it looks brutal June 92 July and August 96. In September it falls all the way down to 89.

Temperature is one thing, humidity is another.

In Nevada it can be 100 +, but as they say, it's a dry heat,

The humid deep south and other areas with high humidity and high ambient temp is a deal breaker for many,

Crisp mountain air of the Rockies though does have it's appeal.

This thread is getting quite long and some interesting feedback.

An old American aquaintance of mine once suggested the Republic of Palau: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palau as a retirement home in the Western South Pacific.

According to this wiki link, Palau is a presidential republic in free association with the United States, which provides defense, funding, and access to social services.

Maybe an option for someone that does not want the burden of actually living within the US if this is part of that perception, but having the supposed backing that it may have?

It has been some time since that tip off and I have considered having a look for a weeks holiday, but not yet visited there.

Anyone else?