Multi-Million Baht ATM robbery in Jomtien

webfact

''and another of the suspects was carrying two of the money boxes taken from the ATM, towards the pick-up.''

I like this.

At this stage they are only suspected....

I imagine legally they are - even if someone commits a crime in front of a thousand witnesses they are suspect until charged and convicted - at least that would be the case in the UK

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 guys, one sitting on his arse, two just standing there and the other doing all the work. Sounds like Robinsons or Home Pro

They must have Sean some movie of the UK road council workers, one puts a chalk mark down another makes the tea, another holds a brush, another keeps an eye out for the council guy and the last 2 use their pick and shovel.

• Like 1

I'm more interested in how they did it..notice that there is no talk of this in the article or in this forum.

Yeah would be interesting.

I know from back home some sort of excavator was the preferred way to get it out of the ground but here it sounds like they got into it rather than taking the whole thing away.

Not sure how anyone could think ATMs don't have millions of baht in them. If they didn't they'd have to be filled daily.

I'd guess in a location like walking street they must hold a hell of a lot more - maybe 10M baht or they would always be empty.

Remember risk to cost- the logistics of filling ATMs constantly isn't the same as that of delivering water.

I do think that having free standing ATMs is stupid though not sure why they do it.

On a side note- anyone ever been to another country with so many ATMs everywhere? It's already a bit of overkill to me.

I'm more interested in how they did it..notice that there is no talk of this in the article or in this forum.

Yeah would be interesting.

I know from back home some sort of excavator was the preferred way to get it out of the ground but here it sounds like they got into it rather than taking the whole thing away.

From the burn marks, looks like the weapon of choice in this instance was the good old gas axe!!

Only in Thailand I see ATMs standing alone in the middle of the street of nowhere, ready for pickup for criminals!

Other country's put the mashine in a wall of concrete !

Smelling burn when someone talk large withdrawal , interesting story that looks for me someone try to open the ATM!

Usually the response time and time needed in Thailand to get money, is very short!

In the eu it needs 10 secounds to analeize and verify the card!

In Thailand within that time the withdrawal is done!

Some experts say arms of Thailand has low security standards verify cards!

And to expensive to replace them all!

Maybe it's only a simple software trick !

A longer delay of verification process of foreign credit card !

Would help to hold the multimillion baht damage of fraud and stolen credit cards lower!

But who is paying the bill in this case, no one talk about this!

European banks must pay the money back to the victim , when the victim was never in that country of the time of withdrawal !

Thai banks maybe not get there money from foreign banks, or have a good insurance the don't pay the loose of money!

And now to all mathematics out here

A scb bank give 20 k

Calculate the time of one withdrawal

That I don't know exactly yet , let's say of 20secounds up to one million!

How Long need time withdrawal one million

In a short calculation 10000 k in 2 minutes

In 10 minutes the ATM is emty!

Not enough time the alarm bell rings on nearest police station!

I not believe that fake story

The time needed withdraw lone million needs much longer

Because of the fact that not only 1000 baht notes inside a ATM

To reach one million on total

Also 100 and 500 notes

One time it happens in a scb ATM

In Pattaya shopping center

The 1000 baht was finish

ATM shows massage and a MAss

Of 500 bhat notes instead of 1000 baht come outside!

This mean to withdrawal all money

We have the multiple the total time of withdrawal needed, because a 20k withdrawal not result in a 40 pcs of 500 baht paper money!

The ATM canot give out!

I believe that there are some curupt bank workers that know each secret. Of there ATMs this happen everywhere in the world not only in Thailand !

Wrong background information in public media, will never solve the problem, the ATM company's must react and, proberbly setup more undercover agents instead of cheap 7 eleven workers to fill up there mashine on the backside

I'll be right back, just fetching the Tylenol. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Yes. One for me too. All that mathmatics about how long it takes to withdraw money from the front when the OP says they broke into the back.........

ATM's (depending on brand etc) can hold up to 6,000 notes in multiple cassettes. So even allowing for this ATM having smaller denominations such as 20,50,100,500 Baht cassettes, there's plenty available space to rack up more than a few million in bigger denominations. Even if only 3,000 notes were 1,000B denominations, that's 3M straight up.

Nice to see the security camera was tamper proof. coffee1.gif

If that's the case, why ATMs occasionally run out of cash? even the ones that are inside shopping malls, ie more secure than the ones in the middle of nowhere?

Second point, everyone here talks about their daily limits blah blah....but, do we know many Thais who withdraw 20K or 50K baht at a time??? ATMs in Thailand are not to serve the foreigners, surprise eh?

Well, I guess they run out of cash because they run out of cash - it ain't rocket science.

This particular machine was in a tourist location, (namely Jomtien), so no doubt geared for the tourist/foreign resident market.

You'll probably note that all ATM menu default buttons for the amount to be withdrawn increase dramatically when you change to ENGLISH. This would suggest the banks are well aware that foreigners withdraw substantially more than your typical Thai.

Anyway, I don't really understand what you are questioning about my post. I have no idea how Thai banks configure their ATM cash, but if an ATM is capable of holding 6,000 notes - then assuming there are 1,000 notes in four trays for the denominations 20,50,100,500, and two trays each of 1,000 x 1,000B denominations, that adds up to 2,670,000B

Surprised eh?

I had a business next to a Tanachart bank exchange booth with an ATM. They were always fixing it or filling it and I would talk to the people sometime while they were doing it. One trey was always loaded with 1000 baht bank notes which was easily 4 million, maybe more. The other treys usually had 500's and 100's nothing smaller. I can't remember how many treys it held but I think it was 3 and I was always close enough to see what notes were in each try. I never remember them putting anything less than full treys in it, and I would not consider it a high usage ATM.

I had a business next to a Tanachart bank exchange booth with an ATM. They were always fixing it or filling it and I would talk to the people sometime while they were doing it. One trey was always loaded with 1000 baht bank notes which was easily 4 million, maybe more. The other treys usually had 500's and 100's nothing smaller. I can't remember how many treys it held but I think it was 3 and I was always close enough to see what notes were in each try. I never remember them putting anything less than full treys in it, and I would not consider it a high usage ATM.

Plus if banks thought there was a risk they'd not want to put ATMs everywhere. I'm surprised they don't have dye packs built into the ATM to protect it

From what you just said - i'd think best time to rob one would be when the guy is filling it!

ATM machines really have many million?

May be incident happened too early in the morning and author is little confused

Individual customers can regularly take our 50,000 to 100,000 from a single ATM, providing they do not exceed their daily amount. Ten to twenty of these customers will withdraw a total of one million baht.

An ATM has to be able to service hundreds, if not thousands, of customers before it has to be refilled, so, yes, an ATM has to contain banknotes in the multi millions...!!

Not entirely correct, a normal ATM card allows a daily out-take of 30.K, a special ATM card allows a daily out-take of 50.K.

My normal atm card allows me to withdraw upto Bt100,000 per day (Kasikorn), I suggest you read what others have posted before chiming in with you incorrect replies.

Don't reply impolitely, and do some listening ... I have ATM cards with 3 banks, BKB, KTB, and Kasikorn. I did not ask for a particular large out-put card, I did ask the 3 banks what is the normal daily ATM out-put and they said 30.K. to 50.K. and I said this is alright, and I went for 50.K.

Asking for a 100.K. ATM card may be alright, but it is not a normal request, and the banks offer normally 30.K.to .50.K I know people whose ATM cards are between 30.K. and 50.K. and that is normal.

I used to work for securicor in the uk filling cash machines for the likes of tesco. There are 4 cassette's per machine with a total of £125000 as a full load. Assuming they were all £20 notes then that would be 6250 notes so therefor 6250 x 1000 baht notes would give a machine the potential to hold 6,250,000 baht ( six million two hundred and fifty thousand baht) so there you go. I know that they would not contain only 1000 baht notes but the math is there.

By mistake I picked up a receipt once from a Swiss ATM that I was using that showed how much money was loaded in and paid out. It was probably an audit note for the filler-upper who failed to pick it up.

Roughly a million francs = more than 1.1 million US dollars. Twenty thousand notes at a 100/200/500 francs a time = a lot of dosh.

Khun Anan aged 40, works for the Security Company used by the SCB Bank to fill ATM’s around Thailand and he confirmed the machine was filled with 3.5 Million Baht on 23rd April. 5 boxes of various bank notes were placed inside the machine and the suspects took the 2 boxes containing the 1,000 Baht notes.

There you go dreamers..... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/722475-police-close-in-on-pattaya-atm-robbery-suspects/

The "burning" would have been the thermal lance* they would have needed to cut into the reinforced cash box holder secured in the rear of the machine so they can pull out the various boxes : ie. the 1,000 Baht box the 500 Baht box the 100 Baht Box The 50Baht and the 20 Baht box.

The option is to hook up a big chain to your truck and around the atm and pull out the unit from the front but as all machines are well fixed to the location its a messy afair and you still have the whole atm machine in the back of your truck.!!!... the back is the way to go.

*Oxygen is continuously fed through the length of steel tube, usually 3/8” or ½” NB, and the burning end of the lance is aimed at the spot on the material where it has to be cut. At the burning end, the oxygen combines with the iron to from a slag rich in iron
oxides.
The slag produced is very fluid which enables cutting and boring to take place. The flow of slag is
assisted by the velocity of the gas and vapours expelled within it. The cutting is a manual process. Thus it depends a lot on personal skill to be able to cut the boxes out and not burn the MONEY !!!

The thieves knew what they were doing... Thai or farang? Think about it!

Q: how come I know all this!

A: I am a Farang.

cheesy.gif

Next week... how to build an atom bomb,

Later I will tell you all how to acheive cold fusion in your bathroom using only simple household items.

clap2.gif

Edited by newermonkey

Khun Anan aged 40, works for the Security Company used by the SCB Bank to fill ATM’s around Thailand and he confirmed the machine was filled with 3.5 Million Baht on 23rd April. 5 boxes of various bank notes were placed inside the machine and the suspects took the 2 boxes containing the 1,000 Baht notes.

There you go dreamers..... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/722475-police-close-in-on-pattaya-atm-robbery-suspects/

How dare you deflate our brightly colored balloons filled w/ hot air! Party pooper!

• Like 1

The "burning" would have been the thermal lance* they would have needed to cut into the reinforced cash box holder secured in the rear of the machine so they can pull out the various boxes : ie. the 1,000 Baht box the 500 Baht box the 100 Baht Box The 50Baht and the 20 Baht box.

The option is to hook up a big chain to your truck and around the atm and pull out the unit from the front but as all machines are well fixed to the location its a messy afair and you still have the whole atm machine in the back of your truck.!!!... the back is the way to go.

*Oxygen is continuously fed through the length of steel tube, usually 3/8” or ½” NB, and the burning end of the lance is aimed at the spot on the material where it has to be cut. At the burning end, the oxygen combines with the iron to from a slag rich in iron

oxides.

The slag produced is very fluid which enables cutting and boring to take place. The flow of slag is

assisted by the velocity of the gas and vapours expelled within it. The cutting is a manual process. Thus it depends a lot on personal skill to be able to cut the boxes out and not burn the MONEY !!!

The thieves knew what they were doing... Thai or farang? Think about it!

Q: how come I know all this!

A: I am a Farang.

cheesy.gif

Next week... how to build an atom bomb,

Later I will tell you all how to acheive cold fusion in your bathroom using only simple household items.

clap2.gif

No. The burning would have been an oxy cutting set which is sold at every single mom and pop hardware store.

• Like 1

Military precision in this one, wearing balaclavas, black pickup, lookouts etc.

Me thinks this is not the work of the locals, id look to the mobsters who have taken over Jomptien, just outside Pattaya.

The Pol will be looking at cctv footage i presume, on the Sukumvit Rd for that pickup at the time of the robbery, should be able to track em down.

Any odds on who it was !

• 2 weeks later...

You'd thin that in order to avoid scenarios like this, ATM will be stuffed with as little as possible

money and just have more ATM's with less money in them, sorry, I forgot that this is Thailand,

where common sense is a rare commodity...

Better alarms and stronger boxes are preferable to even more ATM's that have to be built, wired up online etc etc etc.

Perhaps they should stick one outside your door.