Survey shows 44 percent of Thai youths have tried electric baraku smoking

webfact

4-28-2014-10-29-50-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A recent random survey of 2,426 Thai youths aged between 13-18 shows that 78 of them knew about electric baraku and 44 percent of them admitted that they had tried electric baraku smoking before.

The survey was conducted by Tobacco Control Research and Knowledge Management Centre of Mahidol University in cooperation with the network of health profession for cigarette-free society.

The survey also shows that 42 percent of the respondents have smoked cigarettes, 12 percent have smoked electronic cigarettes and 67 percent said they would like to try electronic cigarette smoking.

32 percent of the respondents said they were aware of electronic cigarettes through the social media; 40 percent said they were persuaded by friends to try smoking and 67 percent admitted that they used to buy cigarettes at Chatuchak park or at the Memorial Bridge.

83 percent said they tried electronic cigarettes because they were new and interesting; 73 percent believed electronic cigarettes were easier to smoke than real cigarettes; 41 percent believed they were safer than cigarette smoking and 53 percent believed they could not be addicted to electronic cigarette smoking.

However, lecturers at the medical science faculty of Srinakharinwirot University said that electronic cigarette smoking is not entirely safe because electronic cigarettes have higher content of nicotine than real cigarettes.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/survey-shows-44-percent-thai-youths-tried-electric-baraku-smoking/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-29

Besides the attention-seeking hairdo I think what is pertinent from this study is that despite Thailand having some of the strictest laws regarding the sale of cigarettes (requring graphic health warnings occupying 55% of the front and back display areas of the carton) and all the anti-smoking campaigns the incidence of smoking has not decreased by much and has actually increased among women. Smoking is linked to a myriad of health problems that top the list of WHO's BOD's (burden of disease) such that even though we are living longer we are also living longer with disabilities from stroke, heart disease , hypertension and cancer which are all linked to smoking. The alcohol and tobacco lobbyists are powerful and I think the best we can do for a win-win situation is to promote everything in moderation. Drink and smoke in moderation otherwise the last years of our lives will be spent being sick and a burden to those who care for us.

Edited by smileydude

My understanding is electric cigarettes have less nicotine than real ones and none of all the other harmful stuff such as tar,and i am a smoker,i have an electric cigarette,but it was not anywhere near as satisfying as a real one,hence leading me to believe an article i read about the lower nicotine,with regards to the lady speak,do you think she may have got a jolt of electricity of the mike there,that hair seems unaturally high.

Tip of the ice berg baraku only small percentage most youth have beer bars located in very near to University places, these youth holding drinking party after classes nobody are making complaint about it?

The damage are more severe as a 'Baraku ' only cost about 200-300 Baht for whole night sitting but beers costing about 70-90 Baht for a bottle and few youth can consume up to 10-20 bottles .

Tip of the ice berg baraku only small percentage most youth have beer bars located in very near to University places, these youth holding drinking party after classes nobody are making complaint about it?

The damage are more severe as a 'Baraku ' only cost about 200-300 Baht for whole night sitting but beers costing about 70-90 Baht for a bottle and few youth can consume up to 10-20 bottles .

Wow 10-20 bottles sounds like a lot of the expats up our way,not that you could describe them as youths of course.

Headline:

When in fact:

A recent random survey of 2,426 Thai youths aged between 13-18 shows that 78 of them knew about electric baraku and 44 percent of them admitted that they had tried electric baraku smoking before.

It's not "44% of Thai youths". it's 44% of 78 youths

Thai PBS, The Broadcaster You Can Trust...yup!

• Like 1

"BANGKOK: -- A recent random survey of 2,426 Thai youths aged between 13-18 shows that 78 of them knew about electric baraku and 44 percent of them admitted that they had tried electric baraku smoking before."

So only 78 of them knew about it, but 1,067(44%) of them had tried it. That means that 989 teens admitted to doing something they have no idea exists. This means that 92.7% of the people who smoke this remember doing it but do not remember what it is.

Cool! Give me some of what they're smoking!

My understanding is electric cigarettes have less nicotine than real ones and none of all the other harmful stuff such as tar,and i am a smoker,i have an electric cigarette,but it was not anywhere near as satisfying as a real one,hence leading me to believe an article i read about the lower nicotine,with regards to the lady speak,do you think she may have got a jolt of electricity of the mike there,that hair seems unaturally high.

Actually you get more nicotine from an e-cig, because in a real cigarette much of the nicotine is burnt when you inhale. They do however contain no tar or many other harmful chemicals. Studies have shown that it would take 3 years of smoking an e-cig to ingest the same amount of toxins as you get from 1 packet of cigarettes.

Just because you had your hair done on the weekend doesn't mean that you should hold pointless press conferences.

What are you saying, she looks just like my wifey does after we had a good roll in the hay, but the woman in the picture only had time for fix one side before the press conference it seems.

He he, where the heck did you get that figure, they are wasted after 4 beers.

Or perhaps the 44% of the 78 etc as someone else suggested. Journalism is a bit like posting on a forum. It helps to read through what you have written before sending it to the sub-editor. It also helps if he/she reads it too before it go'e to print. Way too much sloppy headlining & bad or pointles articles. Same in my home country. Journalism has gone down the toilet