Hardware prices in Thailand nothing is cheaper then in the eu!

Sandman77

I check price difference of computer hardware now over 15 years,harddrive for example in Thailand 3 gigabyte 5000 baht external

On amazon 89€,product made in Thailand only 7 Procent tax

In the eu most country 20 and still not cheaper, how this can happen!

Many shops in Thailand sale you 3 or 4 year old pcs components overpriced!

So high end hardware isn't cheaper here!

Maybe some fake connection cables !

What else is new? Thailand has always been an expensive place to buy just about anything manufactured that is sold in a shop. There are very few exceptions to this; even local food products and locally made other items often cost as much here as they do elsewhere.

Even the fake products are cheaper on AmazonUK than they are here.

Thailand is not cheap for computer equipment compared to many countries like the U.S. Example Solid State Drivers (SSD): Within a few days I will have a Seagate 600 Series 480GB SSD in hand (a friend from the U.S. is bringing it over in a few days) which I paid $220 (approx Bt7000) on TigerDirect with free shipping to my friends house in the U.S. (took 3 days to arrive his house)...and I see NewEgg was also selling it for the same price for a few days and now they have it for $230 plus $1 shipping within the U.S. SSDs in Thailand in the 500GB ballpark run around Bt15,000 (470USD) based on my review of online website to include the one in Hua Hin we see mentioned a lot on ThaiVisa...and also me looking in the computer stores like Pantip. Just a ridiculous price markup probably due to import/excise tax and pretty much trying to sell at pretty close to the only at the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price.

Thai shops generally price goods at the MSRP or slightly higher. No discounting on any parts of significance, no rebates etc., with rare exceptions. It depends on the particular part whether it's much cheaper in, say, the USA. If it's not discounted in the USA, the price will often be about the same and it's not worth the trouble of attempting to import the part or carry it back in your suitcase. Often an acceptable equivalent will be discounted there, however, since there's so much discounting and price competition going on anyway. In sum, it pays to research the prices of the particular part in both countries and consider the advantages, if any wink.png, of having a local warranty & support.

Edited by JSixpack

I check price difference of computer hardware now over 15 years,harddrive for example in Thailand 3 gigabyte 5000 baht external
On amazon 89€,product made in Thailand only 7 Procent tax
In the eu most country 20 and still not cheaper, how this can happen!
Many shops in Thailand sale you 3 or 4 year old pcs components overpriced!

So high end hardware isn't cheaper here!

Maybe some fake connection cables !

Three GB?

Thailand is not cheap for computer equipment compared to many countries like the U.S. Example Solid State Drivers (SSD): Within a few days I will have a Seagate 600 Series 480GB SSD in hand (a friend from the U.S. is bringing it over in a few days) which I paid $220 (approx Bt7000) on TigerDirect with free shipping to my friends house in the U.S. (took 3 days to arrive his house)...and I see NewEgg was also selling it for the same price for a few days and now they have it for $230 plus $1 shipping within the U.S. SSDs in Thailand in the 500GB ballpark run around Bt15,000 (470USD) based on my review of online website to include the one in Hua Hin we see mentioned a lot on ThaiVisa...and also me looking in the computer stores like Pantip. Just a ridiculous price markup probably due to import/excise tax and pretty much trying to sell at pretty close to the only at the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price.

from JIB.co.th

SSD 480GB KINGSTON (SV300S37A/480G) B9850 inc tax

If you had to pay shipping from the US the price would be near the same.

I keep commenting that thing are expensive in Thailand. I can buy a 3 TB external USB 3.0 HDD in the US for 3800 baht and free shipping, no sales tax. LINK

That's just one quick look without really searching.

From JIB.co.th

3.0 TB SEAGATE EXPANSION (STBV3000300) BLACK - 0454082360 Baht4190 inc tax

I keep commenting that thing are expensive in Thailand. I can buy a 3 TB external USB 3.0 HDD in the US for 3800 baht and free shipping, no sales tax. LINK

That's just one quick look without really searching.

From JIB.co.th

3.0 TB SEAGATE EXPANSION (STBV3000300) BLACK - 0454082360 Baht4190 inc tax

you need to www that, direct link to price list anyhow http://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/priceList/

from JIB.co.th

SSD 480GB KINGSTON (SV300S37A/480G) B9850 inc tax

If you had to pay shipping from the US the price would be near the same.

Thanks for that website...I checked a few JIB stores in the malls...they would look in their computer and never mentioned this particular drive. In fact all they said they carried were Samsung Pro and Corsair SSDs. When I look on the U.S. Newegg.com website above model goes for $240/approx Bt7,680 inc tax which is about 22% cheaper.

I also see on the JIB website the Pro version of above Kingston drive for Bt13,590 inc tax; on NewEgg it's $389/Bt12,448 inc tax. Still pretty close in price.

And if comparing say a Samsung 840 EVO 512GB SSD which is one of the best selling SSDs right now, on the invadeit.co.th website we see referenced frequently on ThaiVisa it's going for Bt14,900 inc tax where on numerous U.S. online website like Newegg, TigerDirect, etc., it in the $250 to $275/Bt8,000 to Bt8,800 inc tax ballpark. Didn't see it listed on the JIB website. I'm probably going to buy one more 500GB SSD to go in my i7 CPU power laptop and right now the Samsung 840 EVO is the one I want.

Fortunately, I've got enough friends passing through to where I can get my occasional, special computer item purchases bought in the U.S. and delivered to me free...I just need to sync the buy and their passing through....and then hope the items work...returning the items to the U.S. would probably be more of a pain than returning them to a in-Thailand vendor.

Thanks again for that JIB website...as mentioned I had just visited some of their stores in the malls.

Edited by Pib

Many, many, many factors affect the local price, and availability, of PC hardware. Unfortunately, when comparing Thailand with the U.S., you are at nearly opposite poles.

Specifically, on availability, while the market here is reasonably robustthe focus is on finished goods (a PC) and low-end components. So higher-end components are more challenging to source. Some may have been “grey-imported” as it is not worth the effort (importation, stocking, localization documentation, packaging, spares, repair, replacement, inventory, channel management, and a bazillion other factors) to bring in the latest, greatest kit only to sell a few hundred units.

On the cost front, as a local product manager you’ve got to price your product based on landed COGS (duty, excise, shipping and actual product), and factor in three-tiered distribution (manufacturer, local sub, distributor, retailer), and factor in all of your significant overhead. There is also very little competition as subsidiaries and distributors are single entities, and there is no channel conflict. Tack on 7% VAT and it’s easy to imagine 50 % - 150% premiums on some equipment.

Comparing that with wholesalers like Newegg, JetDirect, et al, which are arguably zero-tiered distribution – they deal direct with the manufacturer, get huge discounts (up to 40% or more based on their volume), have no import duty, with minimal overhead, low net margin targets, highly competitive with other similar channels, offering free shipping and handling, no sales tax, rebates and special promotions, is not especially reasonable.

I return to the U.S. ~ every 60 days or so and buy all my gear incl. OS/apps, except for cases, there. I use Newegg exclusively, and monitor specific items, sales, promotions and rebate opportunities. Newegg puts a lot of stuff on sale, sometimes on the order of another 35% off. I’ve brought back four desktop PC kits, three notebooks, five phones, seven tablets, heaps of HDD/SSDs, NAS, several pieces of networking gear and a gaggle of other smaller items. I’ve never had to deal with a return. I will admit that rebates are a bit of a challenge sometimes, but I usually process those immediately.

I think you are paying more here based on:

Availability, or lack thereof

Landed costs/multiple tiers of distribution

Lack of competition

Warranty (return/repair/replace)

It is strange to buy almost any item in the U.S., which was manufactured in Thailand, be it a hard drive or a pair of Jockey Boxers, for a fraction of what you'd pay in the local BananaIT or Robinsons, considering the long trip the item took.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

I bought a 250GB Samsung EVO recently, and despite the price being high here I had to go to four shops that list this on their websites before I found one with any stock. It's either a fast seller and people can afford it or it hardly sells so stores only order a few. Even more so for the larger capacity models so most high end items means low demand equals high retail pricing.

When you look at lower priced affordable items that have real demand in Thailand the prices are not so bad.

The Seagate slim 1TB 2.5 external drive is selling really well I am told.

2420 bt Thailand J.I.B.

2590 bt Amazon US (US$79)

2880 bt Seagate US (US$89)

2970 bt MSY Australia (AU$99)

2990 bt Amazon UK (GB55)

Prices taken and converted today.

Anytime I check Thai v Australia pricing for external drives, flash drives and SD cards, Thailand is usually lower priced.

Cheapest place for SD cards I've found is in Singapore (often cheaper than Amazon or newegg) if you compare prices.

Overall the US is where I would like to be based if I consistently wanted low prices on just about anything, it's all about market size and purchasing power.

I bought a 250GB Samsung EVO recently, and despite the price being high here I had to go to four shops that list this on their websites before I found one with any stock. It's either a fast seller and people can afford it or it hardly sells so stores only order a few. Even more so for the larger capacity models so most high end items means low demand equals high retail pricing.

When you look at lower priced affordable items that have real demand in Thailand the prices are not so bad.

The Seagate slim 1TB 2.5 external drive is selling really well I am told.

2420 bt Thailand J.I.B.

2590 bt Amazon US (US$79)

2880 bt Seagate US (US$89)

2970 bt MSY Australia (AU$99)

2990 bt Amazon UK (GB55)

Prices taken and converted today.

Anytime I check Thai v Australia pricing for external drives, flash drives and SD cards, Thailand is usually lower priced.

Cheapest place for SD cards I've found is in Singapore (often cheaper than Amazon or newegg) if you compare prices.

Overall the US is where I would like to be based if I consistently wanted low prices on just about anything, it's all about market size and purchasing power.

Today on Newegg.com the Seagate Slim 1TB 2.5" cost is $70 (Bt2,240) with free shipping.

post-55970-0-52756700-1398846146_thumb.j

But for a low cost hard drive like this I would just buy it locally. Spinning platter type Hard Drive prices (and low end products in general) in Thailand are not too out of whack, but when it comes to Solid State Drive (SSD) prices a person "generally" pays a very significantly higher price in Thailand....like around 50-100% higher when looking at all the various manufacturers models especially in the 256-512MB ballpark...or maybe said another way for the price of a 128GB SSD in Thailand you could usually buy a 256GB SSD in the U.S.......for the price of a 256GB SSD in Thailand you could usually buy a 512GB SSD in the U.S.

Edited by Pib

IT market in Thailand is not big and lack a lot of things. For example, there is almost impossible to buy ADSL2+ modem, only modem in bridge configuration, for example. I order them from China. A lot of HK and Shenzhen - available accessories is not present here, many times I not understand why and who develop brands for local market...

And, IT components in US cheapest in the World. My home IP PBX system cost in US $280, compared to... 20k THB in Bangkok! I ask brother, so he bought and sent it to my home in Bangkok.

But, before purchase anything just need to compare prices, as kkerry do above. Sometimes prices comparable, sometimes difference so big, and ordering from US is good idea.

I would say the prices are higher because of the smaller Market then in Western countries. I mean most young people in western countries spending huge money for hardware and electronics. Most Thais (at least the ones I know) buy only Smart-Phones or Tablets. Non OEM router or self-build computer are really just something for the Geeks here... also you don't have this extremely competition like in western countries. Every one knows bunch of websites which shows the best prices, daily changes on every cent and free-delivery on next day etc. In Thailand people are still more depending on local-shops and what the Shop-Staff want to sell them.

• Like 1