Prayuth threatens to sue papers for accusing him of taking bribes

webfact

That's the outcome if an editor in chief is in believe his new apprentice is an expert in investigative journalism.

The rules in this game are simple: never accuse anyone without waterproof facts!

However, if you got the facts, you need the cohones and backup to go for it to the bitter end!

In consequence, show proof of the origins of assets and name horse and rider!

If your editorial staff is not capable to handle cases like this- publish lifestyle storys, gourmet guides and horoscopes instead.

• Like 1

The media would do well to keep their collective mouths shut , the General has a ligit case of liable, to accuse someone of taking bribes regardless of who they are unless they can prove this in a court is treading a very narrow path, one wonders if there is more than the papers behind such accusations. bah.gif

A free press is essential for the defence of democracy and the right to free speech. If the General has been defamed, then he has recourse through the courts. If he fails to pursue the newspapers which he claims have libeled him then one is entitled to draw the obvious conclusion.

He may want to get off his high horse, hush his voice a little and hope this bit of press goes away quickly because I would bet dollars to doughnuts that if certain agencies delved into his financial situation, they'd likely find a big discrepancy between his accountable earnings and his total assets.

Unfounded accusations are cheap. You could always put or shut up.

So you really and truly believe that this man's wealth would be in line with his accountable income? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Now this could be very interesting to watch. If someone defamed me like that, I would just sue.

Why wouldn't he sue, only threaten to?

That's is the question that is most interesting.

My speculation is that he wants the paper(s) to cut down on the hype and stop making the situation worse than it is. If he sues he would probably win and maybe put the paper out of business - if his interest was personal and financial that would be the best action. However that would take time and I suspect that he is interested in the here and now. By threatening he maybe be able to influence the paper to comply with his wish (reduce the hype) and do so now while it is most useful.

He is a solider and understands that while the bullet is unfired it continues to be useful - but that you can only fire a bullet once.

Oh come on, he's notoriously thin skinned. In January last year he had army soldiers demonstrating outside of the ASTV offices when they accused him of being like a woman with a period over his handling of the border skirmishes with Cambodia over Preah Vihear. The PAD were upset he hadn't started a war with Cambodia apparently

This past weekend, around 40-50 military officers gathered in front of the building of ASTV-Manager protesting the newspaper’s harsh criticism of the army and the ‘slandering’ of their armed forces chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha. The soldiers from the 1st army regionassembled on Friday afternoon after the newspaper compared Prayuth’s most recent outburst to a “woman in her periods”.

A second protest was staged on Saturday morning at the same spot and they threatened to repeat it again every day until the paper apologizes.

The show of force by the officers in green came after a public tit-for-tat between General Prayuth and the newspaper, the latter attacking the armed forces for their handling of the border conflict with neighboring Cambodia over the ancient Hindu temple Preah Vihear.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/95280/thai-army-ordered-to-stand-down-after-bullying-yellow-shirt-paper/

Here they are. If you look closely you'll see the Starbung coffee vendor was there in the background, top right (before Starbucks got all unnecessary, obviously)

30197808-01_big.jpg

He called them off eventually and then denied he ordered them to do it whistling.gif He does a lot of denying, does Prayuth.

Not nearly as much as you.

I for one will be glad to see you retire in a few months. You have been worthless to this country and the government you serve. Why is government house still under control from protesters. A symbol of this country is controlled by thugs while you sit back and do nothing about it. This show your true colors. A yellow streak down the middle of your back. Do your job and take back the government house with or without force. You made a laughing stock of this country and the people who have the right to vote which was denied. Protect the people who live in work for this country not the thugs who are taken hand outs to stay in a park and cheer when told to. You are a shame to this country Prayuth. Hide your head deep in the ground. As with the insurgents in the south and the thugs in Bangkok you did nothing. Hope you are proud of yourself.

Well Mango Bob why don't YOU personally ask the police and CAPO those very same questions?

After all it is THEIR job and THEY are paid to do it.

If the Army moved in as you want YOU would be one of the first to scream about a coup and the brutal Army and its leaders.

At the moment the Army are protecting the protesters. Yet another job the police are paid to do and yet do not.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

Now this could be very interesting to watch. If someone defamed me like that, I would just sue.

Why wouldn't he sue, only threaten to?

That's is the question that is most interesting.

My speculation is that he wants the paper(s) to cut down on the hype and stop making the situation worse than it is. If he sues he would probably win and maybe put the paper out of business - if his interest was personal and financial that would be the best action. However that would take time and I suspect that he is interested in the here and now. By threatening he maybe be able to influence the paper to comply with his wish (reduce the hype) and do so now while it is most useful.

He is a solider and understands that while the bullet is unfired it continues to be useful - but that you can only fire a bullet once.

"If he sues he would probably win" ...but maybe not, which would explain why he is 'threatening' but not acting. I could also picture, if it came to litigation, that the General may then try to block certain things from being divulged and/or threaten certain people not to speak the truth. Many stranger things have happened within Thai power politics.

boomerangutang,you are not an ex football commentator are you 'if he sues he would probably win...but maybe not' the only thing you left out of your post was'quite extrodinary'.

I like and trust the general , IMO he is one of the few honorable people in a high power position .

He's to proud and loyal to be corrupt .

Really? I've never met the man, so of course I'll have to take your word for it. 5555555555555!

The media would do well to keep their collective mouths shut , the General has a ligit case of liable, to accuse someone of taking bribes regardless of who they are unless they can prove this in a court is treading a very narrow path, one wonders if there is more than the papers behind such accusations. bah.gif

Hmmm. Well, this might be a little problematic. It would depend on the exact wording they used. As I understand it, a valid defense against a defamation suit is to prove the truth of the offending statement. Of course the decision is entirely up to the particular judge who handles the case. I seem to recall that the courts were granted greater powers under the 2007 constitution, which was written at the direction of certain people who were involved in the 2006 coup. I wonder when someone is going to point us to the actual newspaper articles he refers to. Khao Sod? Phrachathai?

'... "Nobody can buy the military no matter ...'

Reminds me of when Thaksin was running for PM, first time. One of his campaign slogans: "He can't be corrupt or bought off, because he's already very rich."

Statements like that are aimed at the Thai sheeple (sated with caffeine drinks, coagulated pig's blood, rice moonshine and MSG), ...and they been shown to work effectively.