Democrats ready to contest election if initiative accepted: Abhisit

webfact

Democrats ready to contest election if initiative accepted: Abhisit
By English News

13987642116335-640x390x1.png

BANGKOK, April 29 - Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said today that Thailand's opposition party is ready to contest the upcoming election if the proposal compiled from his meetings with several concerned parties is accepted.

The former prime minister made remarks as he led other party members to meet with the five Election Commission (EC) commissioners in a bid to put forward his initiative to end the country's political impasse before the poll agency meets with caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra tomorrow.

Mr Abhisit said he has discussed the country's situation with the EC, with both sides agreeing that it is difficult to successfully conduct an election during this period. A new election might be held but the conflict remains and it is unsure whether the House of Representatives will be able to open.

The Democrat leader urged the government to consider his concerns and not to close the door to hearing public opinion by rushing the election process.

After meeting with many groups, Mr Abhisit said information has been collected and will be concluded as a proposal to end the crisis within this week.

"The proposal has not been made yet. Do not reject it yet. The proposal making process will be done within this week and if all political parties accept it, the Democrat Party is ready to contest the election," he said.

The former prime minister dismissed rumours about his so-called secret deals with some persons, saying that he has never secretly negotiated with anyone and no one but himself was behind his move. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-04-29

They can win. Even if they are not appealing, the government is so weak that they can win.. . if they accept to speak to the populace and if Suthep doesn't jeopardize the process.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Some policies and a positive vision would be nice also after months of negativity by Abhisit the blame game master

That goes for PTP as well.. elections here in Thailand are not really about policies now are they?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They can win. Even if they are not appealing, the government is so lame that they can win.. . If they accept to speak to the people and if Suthep doesn't jeopardize the process.

geovalin, dreams scarcely, come true.

He has no chance.

But again, for what did he fought for 6 months now?

Just to let go of all ideas and good intentions for the sake of his personal benefits as a politician.

I used to respect the man, not any more.

Abhisit needs to be heard. For one thing, Pheu Thai needs the Democratic party to contest this election, whether they realize it or not. Pheu Thai can pretend they don't, of course, and simply unilaterally schedule an election and hope for the best - with or without their involvement - but the country will be ill-served by another election without the main opposition party. It simply doesn't work. For anyone. Abhisit also touches upon a very clear populous sentiment that is shared by large swaths of the country - dialogue needs to be established. The public has never seen such distance between politicians. Ever. And they're disenchanted with it. The public would be even relieved at the simple optics of Yingluck and Abhisit meeting, and sitting down and talking. Surely that's not beneath Pheu Thai to arrange ? Where is the PR initiate ? We see Yingluck's face on campaign posters throughout the country, alongside every conceivable local politician. She's always smiling. Well, she can practice some smiles on Abhisit. Pheu Thai have embarked on a resolutely obstinate tact, and that makes it doubly difficult to reach consensus. Pheu Thai ought to recognize that this is an opportunity. For if they shun it, and simply bulldoze through another election where everything is determined not by directives from the EC but by Chalerm - they merely mirror the past in an unconscious effort to recreate it.

The peoples medium ain't going to like this at all!

Any form of compromise has been rejected by his lot!

Gotta give credit where it's due!

However lets see the plan and how he deals with D day and the yellow rabble when they hold the city to ransom again!

yellow rabble ...as usual another pathetic pointless post...you havnt got a clue try living here first.....

They can win. Even if they are not appealing, the government is so lame that they can win.. . If they accept to speak to the people and if Suthep doesn't jeopardize the process.

geovalin, dreams scarcely, come true.

He has no chance.

But again, for what did he fought for 6 months now?

Just to let go of all ideas and good intentions for the sake of his personal benefits as a politician.

I used to respect the man, not any more.

I don't mean I wish they win, I just think they can win.

Regarding Abisith, I agree with you. I even consider him as the worst Thai politician but this is not the topic here.

Anyway, they can win.

Is this Abhisit way of not attending the EC meeting with other parties and just hold a private meeting so he can present his ways without other parties having a say. Like I said in other topic him fearing for his life was a big lie.

• Like 1

The ingredient missing is the Reforms before elections crowd, unless proper meaningful dialog between all parties is established you are running the risk of just the same, protesters might thin out a bit in the ranks , but the point here is to return Thailand to a more stable base , this is not the direction to travel for thatcoffee1.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

he doesn't know the meaning of a free and fair election .all Eton taught him was using thuggery to get your own way .

Can you cite one example of Abhisit's "thuggery"?

Wondered about that myself , I know someone who was Eton with Mark , the only thuggery I know is from the idiot that made the comment.

• Like 1

Well, no proposal should be rejected out of hand at this juncture. Just not sure how you can legally set preconditions on an election. And do all the participating parties have to agree? And if they don't, will the Democrats stay on the sidelines once again? Just seems like I'm watching Groundhog Day.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They can win. Even if they are not appealing, the government is so weak that they can win.. . if they accept to speak to the populace and if Suthep doesn't jeopardize the process.

He has now chance of winning most every Thai person knows that he and Suthep are one in the same just puppets to the rich elites. I actually like Abhisit wish he could break his bounds and form another party, but no chance he pciked his poison many years ago!

he doesn't know the meaning of a free and fair election .all Eton taught him was using thuggery to get your own way .

I didn't know Eton was now a comprehensive school.I better withdraw my sons name.My how things have changed since I've been away.

Why Democrat Members don't just hopping to another party for better chance same as some big names did in the past?

One might ask the same question, about PTP's loyal MPs, why don't they 'do a Newin' ?

It's already clear that the minor parties will always follow-the-money, regardless of who leads the coalition, but what hold PTP's own factions together ?

Do they really enjoy grovelling, or jockeying-for-positions, at get-togethers in Hong Kong or Singapore ? wink.png

Magic 8 ball time:

1) He will demand Yingluk not run for election, promising to join elections if she does. (His Suthep style demand)

2) He will suggest the military have a role in government, trying to make the elected house, partly unelected as per Senate. (based on his BlueSky speeches)

3) He will accuse Yingluk of putting herself before the needs of the country. (Ha ha, he accuses others of his crimes... an old political trick)

4) If she did resign, he would invoke section 180 to remove the government and his friends would grab power. Rather than face defeat at an election.

He's not an honest player and has no intention of running in elections or getting elected. It's not like he's an unknown, he's been around since 2005, and never won an election, so there's no question that he won't try to win an election now.

If he says he will stand for elections, it's false, he has zero intention of running at elections.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger

However, if he does run, and the Democrats do end up as a significant presence in parliament, then he is in a better position to be levered into power in due course. Don't laugh, it has happened before!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Abhisit needs to be heard. For one thing, Pheu Thai needs the Democratic party to contest this election, whether they realize it or not. Pheu Thai can pretend they don't, of course, and simply unilaterally schedule an election and hope for the best - with or without their involvement - but the country will be ill-served by another election without the main opposition party. It simply doesn't work. For anyone. Abhisit also touches upon a very clear populous sentiment that is shared by large swaths of the country - dialogue needs to be established. The public has never seen such distance between politicians. Ever. And they're disenchanted with it. The public would be even relieved at the simple optics of Yingluck and Abhisit meeting, and sitting down and talking. Surely that's not beneath Pheu Thai to arrange ? Where is the PR initiate ? We see Yingluck's face on campaign posters throughout the country, alongside every conceivable local politician. She's always smiling. Well, she can practice some smiles on Abhisit. Pheu Thai have embarked on a resolutely obstinate tact, and that makes it doubly difficult to reach consensus. Pheu Thai ought to recognize that this is an opportunity. For if they shun it, and simply bulldoze through another election where everything is determined not by directives from the EC but by Chalerm - they merely mirror the past in an unconscious effort to recreate it.

"Abhisit needs to be heard." I don't need to hear this upper-class Etonite! And no-one in Thailand needs to hear him.

Let Abhisit try to be heard among the voters in Isaan - he won't be! He has zero traction with almost any voters in rural Thailand.

Contrast this loser with Thaksin: Thaksin had a natural rapport with the voters. Everywhere he went he was mobbed. Sure, Thaksin was no angel and clearly tried to make a buck when he could, but at least he faced the voters and won every time.

Abhisit will never be voted in. The only way he will get into office again is by his ammart friends who pull the strings, and get him in through the back door.

What a pathetic ammart-led country! Terrified of the ordinary people.

• Like 1