Importing Vegetable Seeds Into Thailand (My Experience)

Hey Folks,

I'm going to share my experience, this is nothing more than my direct experience. You may have a completely different experience. Please do not perceive this to be information on Thai Law, or even that you can expect to encounter a similar situation.

Backstory: I've been ordering various products I cannot find in Thailand for about 3 years now. Things like chelated iron, pipe smoking tobacco, vegetable seeds, etc...Everything has been sent through US Postal Service, and ultimately through Thai Post with 0 duties, or taxes.

Well I pushed my luck a bit too hard, and ordered way too much tobacco at one time. I knew I was taking a risk, and I assumed that risk upon order. Sure enough, customs flagged the box in BKK, and it was sent to the customs office in my province, Prachuap Khiri Khan. (This is relevant, I promise, you'll see shortly). We (my wife) phoned the customs house in Prachuap and they confirmed we could pick up the box, just had to come and pay the tax. She told the gentleman on the phone that I was a shitbird broke farang (this is not entirely a lie) and asked that he please not rape me on tax. When I arrived, he wrote up a slip for something around 500 baht, and I could tell he really wasn't too motivated at the idea of doing a bunch of paperwork on tobacco, so he just kind of ignored the fact that it was tobacco. To give you an idea, there was around 10,000 baht worth of tobacco in that box. The other day, I paid 1500 baht tax on only 4,000 baht worth of tobacco. The point is, he left me off easy....really easy.

Since this first box of tobacco was flagged, EVERYTHING I order is being stopped. One of two things happen. 1) The tax is imposed on the box by customs in BKK, and I have to pick up at my local post office and pay the tax. No worries, easy day. 2) The box is routed to Prachuap Town, 100Km from my home, and I have to go there to settle the tax, and negotiate the release of my package.

Well, I ordered from Johnny Seeds, who informed me I would need a Phytosanitary Inspection by the USDA, as Thailand would require that documentation to allow the import of seeds. Cool, they (Johnny Seeds) handled all that, just delayed the shipping a bit. Well, customs in BKK routed my package to Prachuap, and so off we go to pick it up. The same fellow was working, and as I mentioned before he isn't really interested in making any problems, just wants to get the tax and get me out of his otherwise empty office. At first, he said seeds are not allowed to be imported. I explained the documentation on the package included the phytosanitary report from the USDA, and it was my understanding that this was in compliance with Thai law, and was all that was required. He was satisfied with that, and began finishing the tax paperwork when another female customs employee came in, and sat down at her desk beside him. She over hears the conversation between him and my wife, and starts getting really excited saying "You cannot import seeds at all! You have to go to the agricultural office in BKK and get prior approval etc...etc.." Her rant ended with "Today I will let you have your seeds but next time, I won't." Now, as we know, sometimes they like to get excitable and make threats to ensure you will pay the tax and be on your way. However, I have never, ever made any bones about paying the tax. There was never any mention at all of not wanting to pay the tax. She had no reason to get excited, other than she was truly under the impression that Thailand has a 0 seed importation policy unless routed through a Thai agricultural office. (Naturally she could give no information as to how to do that, only that is needed to be done).

I think those of you that are in the North, where agriculture is much more prominent probably have far more competent customs staff in specific terms to seed importation.

In summary, it worked out fine. I got my seeds. Problem is, in the future, I may not get them through, if this woman wants to make waves. I need to start sending stuff in my wifes name, and preferably in Thai. That will be the immediate solution. It appears obvious I have made myself a target, and should not use my own name for awhile, or ever, on incoming mail.

Edited by Fapington

My guess is that you need two sets of paperwork to be entirely legal. First, you need an import permit and second you need the paperwork from the US to match the requiremnets of the import permit. The rules of the importing country governs the shipment. At least this is how it worked when we were exporting live animals.