Thai Military Service..?

Will my sons need to do some sort of military service..? Both were born in Thailand, and have Thai and British passports, at the moment. I thought they would just be able to give up their Thai passports, at a certain age, and become exempt from any form of Thai national service. But my wife tells me otherwise..?

One suspects they need to give up their thai citizenship in its entirety not give up their passports and even then if they are resident in thailand they may still be required to do national service prior to them being allowed to give up their thai citizenship

So your wife may be correct to a degree

They will be eligible for the draft at the age of 20 but will not be called to do the draw until the age of 21. What are their ages now?

At they age of 20 they have the right to choose their nationality for a period of one year. If they choose give to give up their Thai nationality they can do it at that time. See section 14 of Thailand Nationality Act 2508 (1965) amended until 2555 - English - refworld (1).pdf

There are ways to work around the draft. One is to attend cadet classes while in high school which exempts them from it.

Giving up their Thai nationality would be a drastic move to avoid it.