Thai consumer body urges curbs on double-decker buses

webfact

Consumer body urges curbs on double-decker buses
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Foundation for Consumers yesterday proposed that double-decker buses be restricted from travelling down winding roads in a move to cut down on the number of accidents. It also urged bus operators to immediately pay damages to passengers in case of accidents instead of them having to file lawsuits.

Meanwhile, the foundation's secretary-general, Saree Ongsomwang, called on the Department of Land Transport to regulate the manufacture of double-decker buses and prevent unauthorised modifications that have frequently resulted in buses losing balance and toppling over, especially while travelling in mountainous areas.

Speaking at the 2014 Forum of Consumers held at a Bangkok hotel yesterday, Saree also called on schools to not charter double-decker buses for school trips, and instead urged them to charge more per head so they can charter good-quality buses from reliable operators.

The proposal also said that in the long term, only single-deck buses should be registered and the standard of bus assembly plants, quality of drivers and number of buses imported should be tightly regulated.

Participants at the event also discussed the protection of consumers in relation to several products, including medication, service fees for mobile phones and banks, interest rates on personal loans, after-sales services of properties and public transport safety.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-30

my friend and his thai wife wanted to adopt a baby, they had to sit in on a group of adopters, this was to determine if your fit to adopt, each of them was asked to roll around the floor like a baby, they were also told that you never say no or punish your child, my point is, thais were brought up believiing they can do no wrong, bus drivers and other bozos with this belief are a danger, so lets blame the buses

Flame me if you want. No doubt the drivers of buses are a major problem and maintenance is not understood. BUT these double decker buses have no business on the roads of Thailand as they are substandard in design for the conditions.

• Like 1

I'm no expert on transport but doesn't this seem like the line of least resistance by blaming a type of vehicle rather than going into lack of maintenance and driving standards ?

You're quite right....but here the bus companies are usually owned by connected people and as always, they can't be blamed....but the bus types can be criticised.....another example of a weak regulatory body....and people will continue to die needlessly!

• Like 1

I'm no expert on transport but doesn't this seem like the line of least resistance by blaming a type of vehicle rather than going into lack of maintenance and driving standards ?

Double decker buses are inherently unsafe as they are too narrow and too tall. They're conversions from single deckers that have a narrow chassis. With 2 extra wheels added to an extension at the back. Consequently the C of G is far higher than on the original bus making it unstable, then add a top deck full of passengers!. Furthermore with toughened glass in the windows on the top deck, when they catch fire the result is bbq'd passengers. Added to the fact the fuel pipe for the gas usually runs adjacent to the exhaust system, should the pipe rupture during an accident the result is a stream of high pressure gas dousing the exhaust with an immediate fireball resulting.

I also understand they are illegal but that is ignored because of the 'connections' involved. Why do they do this you may ask? Simple, proper double deckers are too expensive to import.

Edited by Anon999
  • Like 1

Double decker buses are inherently unsafe as they are too narrow and too tall. They're conversions from single deckers that have a narrow chassis. With 2 extra wheels added to an extension at the back. Consequently the C of G is far higher than on the original bus making it unstable, then add a top deck full of passengers!. Furthermore with toughened glass in the windows on the top deck, when they catch fire the result is bbq'd passengers. Added to the fact the fuel pipe for the gas usually runs adjacent to the exhaust system, should the pipe rupture during an accident the result is a stream of high pressure gas dousing the exhaust with an immediate fireball resulting.

I also understand they are illegal but that is ignored because of the 'connections' involved. Why do they do this you may ask? Simple, proper double deckers are too expensive to import.

".....the fuel pipe for the gas usually runs adjacent to the exhaust system...."

Really?

What have the buses done? Surley it can't be the fault of the bus. As mentioned above they don't have problems like this in other countrys, goto spain for example flying along the winding roads, never seen one on its side yet.

I'm not saying that accidents don't happen elsewhere, but the ammount that happen here is crazy. And we all know the reason for it....

There was an article last year stating that most of the chassis for.double deckers are modified single deck chassis and don't even pass Thai law. Ever wondered why these buses look too narrow and.too heavy.

Of course putting them off the road would be too expensive now. So let's urge a curb on driving them round bendy roads. Lol

I was driving my local rwo lane blacktop yesterday when a police car with flashing lights came speeding down towards me in the other lane followed by twelve of these DD buses all tailgating each other at high speed and crammed with people, probably civil servants on holiday tours. Despite the promises to regulate these drivers and obey speed limits they continue to hog the overtaking lane and bulldoze other drivers out of the way through intimidation.

They should've gone a step further and asked for a ban on winding mountainous roads.

and order Mother Nature it must never rain again which will leave the BIB with brake failure and driver falling asleep as the only reasons for accidents.

• Like 1

When was the last time a London double decker bus turned over ?? They have an incredible angle of lean. Does anybody know what it is ?

I seem to remember 45 degrees from somewhere but thats an empty bus.

If you would see the quality of the local companies making bus cabins you would realize that its not just the drivers, roads, brakes that cause the accidents. Maybe the quality of construction from companies like Cherdchai is tolerable but not acceptable by western standards. Just imagine what its like when the repairs and modifcations are done by the rinky dink garages. You are safer in a passenger van because at least they have quality standards which must me met before being delivered to buyers but again, modifications aren't checked by anyone. So, anyone can drive here regardless of ability and condition and the same is true for thai made/modified buses.