AIS Mao Mao

smedly

so I'm looking at some of the 3G packages on AIS and have not been able to figure out what this Mao Mao thing actually is and how it fits with the Voice/call plans on offer

Can anyone explain to me what it is - I have a line on my current plan that says something like " Mao Mao 14baht u/l 380kb per day ...........blah blah, I have no clue what this actually means

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/mao_mao.html

Simply put, Mao Mao represents a grouping of paid buffet-like offers/bundles, typically for a short period, of voice and/or data and/or text. Not sure if these apply only to "old" One-2-Call customers only, or can be extended to new AWN/2100 MHz One-2-Call customers.

I think you can ring *777 to walk through the IVR promotional menus. You can figure out what you currently have, and your options for changing.

Can anyone explain to me what it is - I have a line on my current plan that says something like " Mao Mao 14baht u/l 380kb per day ...........blah blah, I have no clue what this actually means

This at least is easy.

If you send:

*777*33#

you will have 24h flatrate with 384 kBit/s, 14 Baht will be deducted.

That is not 3G of course but throttled.

This seems to be an up-to-date list of the confusing variety of volume and time based packages to be booked via USSD (sending some "* ... #" code,

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/promotion_special.html

I can find info about the "777" low speed rates in Thai only:

http://www.ais.co.th/3g-one-2-call/promotion-detail.aspx?language=th&type=net&id=39

*777*731#

gives 7d days lowspeed flatrate,

The AIS website chaos is typical for many of the Thai websites.

Confusing, chaotic.

All 3G plans have a volume capping and are continued after that with 384 kBit/s.

Some really laughable offers like 10 MB of 3G access.

Can be eaten up in seconds.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

you are not kidding when you say confusing, I now believe the mao mao option added to my account was simply to facilitate the switch to 3g which had to be carried out to enable me to use the 2100 service

I am a very casual data user on my phone so was offered 1gb of data a month for 163baht, I have a firewall on my phone which limits the data usage of apps and services so my phone doesn't go on a bender when it feels like it with data turned on so I'll see how I get on with that

Thanks guys for the answers to a very confusing subject

Like I said, you can call *777 to review your current plan/promotion, and make changes. You can probably also do this on-line using eServices, or via the Android/iPhone AIS app?

Is/was that 14 Baht Mao Mao promotion automatically recurring each day? I don't think it should have been. I always though that these Mao MAo were single time subscriptions a day or week.

1 GB for 163 baht would seem to be a pretty good deal given that 150 baht gives 150 MB, or 350 baht gives 1 GB (capped) and 399 baht gives 1 GB unlimited (but with a FuP).

No question that mobile operators here have too many options and promotions, and they honor old ones forever. Probably good for the savvy consumer, but overwhelming for others.

Is/was that 14 Baht Mao Mao promotion automatically recurring each day?

No it does not. Expires after 24h. But if you use internet after that, there is some "basic rate" per min.

Don't ask me how much it costs.