Chiang Rai to grow Sakura to attract tourists

webfact

Chiang Rai to grow Sakura to attract tourists
By Coconuts Bangkok

sakura.jpg?itok=P24Z_Apz

CHIANG RAI: -- Udon Thani’s rubber duck should worry because Chiang Rai is preparing its own marquee tourist attraction, the “Road of Sakura.”

Chiang Rai officials have agreed to buy 1,000 cherry blossom trees from Japan to line its roads and create an iconic, selfie-friendly tourist destination, Governor Pongsak Wangsamer announced Sunday.

The trees will blossom alongside about 20 kilometers of road running from Chiang Rai’s international airport. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/04/30/chiang-rai-grow-sakura-attract-tourists

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-04-30

Yes, the airport road is a scenic wonder that will wow tourists. Good idea not to put them in a desirable area like along the river! Can't wait for tourists to stop their cars along the airport road and stand there taking selfies!!

How long are cherry trees in blossom..?Surely not the whole year and who will come here to see cherry blossom? lol.

Cherry blossoms are always a big tourist draw. I will usually travel to the Doi Mae Salong area to see them in bloom. They do not bloom very long however. sad.png

All the more reason to put them in an area that will draw sight-seers for an extended period. The area where they have the flower festival (along the river) would be very nice. There is parking there and many other gardens for visitors to walk through.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How long are cherry trees in blossom..?Surely not the whole year and who will come here to see cherry blossom? lol.

2 weeks is the answer and it varies depending on the temperature. However given the temperature in Japan is colder I am not sure they will even grow here. I wonder how much they paid per tree, probably a ludicrous amount.

I am not sure it was this kind of trees but some of you may remember some years back...at that time the same road WAS really beautyful whit trees like those on each side to the airport.

I dont know why they removed them...it was like driving through a tunnel of flowers and before we stopped using that road as it is so bad we always talked about how nice it was then.

For many decades tens-of-thousands of tourists flock to both Japan and Washington D.C. for the annual Cherry Blossom Festival. But not cynical farangs, evidently .

Edited by HerbalEd

We have cherry trees in abundance in Seattle and other US Pacific Northwest cities. They blossom in March as the rains are tapering off, but weather is still cool. I don't think cherry trees would adapt well to the climate here. I think the trees here with the bright yellow blossoms are just as lovely, and they obviously thrive here, as does the beautiful jacaranda.

It would be a costly mistake to invest in all those cherry trees that might end up dead.

Actaully, I am from Washington DC, and it is famous for the Cherry Blossoms and loads of tourists go there when they are in bloom. The tourists come from surrounding areas though. within a couple hours drive so I am not sure how it'll work there but it certainly does in DC. There is now a huge festival based around it called the Cherry Blossom Festival.

I take it all of you nay sayers are tourism experts though...lol...or do you just like to be negative about everything?...lol.

Most of that type of tree, cherries, almonds etc of the flowering or fruiting variety like a cold winter to get things working.

Not months of snow necessarily but a bit of frost now and then.

http://www.weekendnotes.com/willunga-almond-blossom-festival/

I've lived near this area and can assure people that average winter temperatures would be well above freezing point.

I cannot see why we need cherry trees. We have an abundance of beautiful flowring trees in North Thailand that bloom for a much longer time. THey would make an impressive drive to town for a lot more than 2 weeks....

If any one wants to see some really beautiful trees just google northern thailand flowering trees and go to images and be set for a real treat for the eyes.

I cannot see why we need cherry trees. We have an abundance of beautiful flowring trees in North Thailand that bloom for a much longer time. THey would make an impressive drive to town for a lot more than 2 weeks....

If any one wants to see some really beautiful trees just google northern thailand flowering trees and go to images and be set for a real treat for the eyes.

I agree that Thailand has some very beautiful flowering trees but there is almost a cult following of Sakura. Cherry blossoms are really beautiful and are favorite subjects of photographers for ages.

That being said, if the brain trust here in CR was really interested in drawing tourists on a more long-term basis, all they would need to do is similar to what Harry is suggesting, and that is to use the natural flowering trees to line city venues with these trees. They could serve a double purpose which would to make for interesting views and to hide the horrible eye sores that are created by the tangles of power lines and shabby businesses that line the streets.

CR doesn't need gimmicks, they need real planning and they need to instill in the locals a sense of pride and a desire to keep their city clean.

I agree that Thailand has some very beautiful flowering trees but there is almost a cult following of Sakura. Cherry blossoms are really beautiful and are favorite subjects of photographers for ages.

That being said, if the brain trust here in CR was really interested in drawing tourists on a more long-term basis, all they would need to do is similar to what Harry is suggesting, and that is to use the natural flowering trees to line city venues with these trees. They could serve a double purpose which would to make for interesting views and to hide the horrible eye sores that are created by the tangles of power lines and shabby businesses that line the streets.

CR doesn't need gimmicks, they need real planning and they need to instill in the locals a sense of pride and a desire to keep their city clean.

What have I done......now CR will have local trees plated right in the middle of the footpaths. Where is a wheelchair to go?smile.png

I don't know why this needs to be done. I find the Dton Tabaek or Dton Inthanin (Langerstroemia speciosa or L. macrocarpa) to be just as showy. Nice thing about these native flowering trees is that the blooms last a bit longer than the Sakura tree. I saw a Japanese who was awed by a Langerstroemia tree in full bloom. Perhaps, people need to remove the eye-shutters and take a fresh look at native trees in their backyard. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence...

Just another waste of money, if you want tourist, try cleaning up the pollution, the dirty water, canals, dirty streets, and empty lots full of garbage. Then the tourist will want to come. Do it for the people who live here, and remove the eye sores for the tourist. Do you think you can? or is this just to much to ask?

I think it is a fine idea to add some colour along the main roads.

I would also like to see the Council pay some attention to cleaning up the garbage littering some of the areas along the river, particularly that area near the Dusit Island.

• Like 1

I think it is great to add some colour along the main roads.

I would also like to see the Council make an effort to clean up some of the garbage in existing nice areas, particularly along the river near the Dusit Island.