Consumption, investment expected to further decline if no Thai govt in sight by Q3

webfact

Consumption, investment expected to further decline if no govt in sight by Q3

scb.jpg

BANGKOK, 30 April 2014 (NNT) – The Siam Commercial Bank says Thai economy will see a negative growth if a new government is not formed by the third quarter.

Ms Sutapa Amornvivat, chief economist and first executive vice president at the Siam Commercial Bank (SCB), said the bank has revised the country’s GDP growth forecast down to 1.6 percent from the previous figure of 2.4 percent.

She noted that if a new government could not be convened by the third quarter, budget disbursement would be delayed, causing a drop of investment in the government sector by 6.6 percent, household consumption by 0.5 percent, and private investment by 2.8 percent.

As for exports, she said the bank had adjusted this year’s export growth target down to 4 percent from 5 percent after a sharp decline in exports of agricultural products.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-30 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

They never mention foreign investment in Thailand which keeps this country going.If they all pulled out it's back to rice,Wake up Thais and Thailand it's us farangs and farang companies that has enabled you to prosper.I must stop banging my head against that brick wall.

• Like 1

They never mention foreign investment in Thailand which keeps this country going.If they all pulled out it's back to rice,Wake up Thais and Thailand it's us farangs and farang companies that has enabled you to prosper.I must stop banging my head against that brick wall.

You really should try to read more, VW has anounced plans to open a production plant here, the Japanese assembly plants have existed here for years, and so on!

Perhaps better you keep banging, as it were!

Why oh Why does Thailand need to form a Government... it sems to be running along real fine with all the good public employees doing well what they always do well.... kids are still going to school, peeps are going to work, trains and buses are running.. my toilet still flushes.. airports are open and ATM machines are filling up and being empiied... a big round of applause for the wonderful civil servants... except the police force which was spent a long time ago... sack them all.. wai2.gif

You really should try to read more, VW has anounced plans to open a production plant here, the Japanese assembly plants have existed here for years, and so on!

I rest my case,Please enlighten my dim mind.Is VW a Thai company and the Japanese car companies,please take the time to read before you respond.And by the way it was thanks to a British army officer who enabled VW to get up and running as a company after the war.But I expect you wouldn't know that.Ignorance is bliss.

• Like 1

Wow miss sutapa is quite the looker. Maybe she should run to be next PM?

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, she can handle my portfolio any day.
I have found that one must have assets to invest and not just speculative comments.

Otherwise, the earnings forecast is nonexistent.

Edited by Benmart

Wow miss sutapa is quite the looker. Maybe she should run to be next PM?

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Indeed.

She comes with degrees from Harvard and MIT, though, and improved English skills.

Unless much mistaken, family is already involved in politics, same side as the CTPM.

Edited by Morch

I rest my case,Please enlighten my dim mind.Is VW a Thai company and the Japanese car companies,please take the time to read before you respond.And by the way it was thanks to a British army officer who enabled VW to get up and running as a company after the war.But I expect you wouldn't know that.Ignorance is bliss.

I confess to having misread your post and for that I apologise.

But I am certain that you are wrong when you say that it is farang companies that have allowed Thailand to prosper, I believe if you check you'll find that it is primarily Japanese companies that were responsible.

I think it is also wrong to presume that it's foriegn investment alone that keeps the Thai economy afloat and that without it there would be nothing. Whilst I can agree there is substantial investment in Thailand by the Japanese companies and others I do not dismiss the over two hundred and eighty Thai companies, each with earnings of over $ 100 million per year, nor do I overlook the fact that the Forbes top 200 global companies now contains seventeen Thai companies.

Finally, I find it somewhat narrow minded to look at any country and attribute their development solely to another race or country. If we are to do that perhaps we should look at the UK and attribute its current growth to immigrants from other countries or to US prosperity in the 1970's/80's to Japanese business ownership! Clearly in all these examples there is a role that is played by foriegn investment be it business, capital or people but that should not obscure the home grown effort entirely.

http://www.theofficialboard.com/companies/c/thailand

http://thaifinancialpost.com/2012/05/23/leading-thai-companies-hit-global-2000-list-of-world-biggest-public-companies/