14 dead in northwest Thailand road accident

webfact

Just heard that there was another fatal bus crash on this same road last Thursday, 24th April.

Charter bus from Kanchanaburi going to Mae Sot carrying Burmese labourers.

Bus driver killed along with at least one passenger and many injuries.

Lost the brakes going downhill.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ITS NEVER, EVER THAI FAULT - EVER!!

THEY CANNOT ACCEPT BRAME (what we call responsibility), EVER!!

And because of this FACT, they will never, EVER be able to behave as an adult on an adult level, EVER!!

Fully Grown Children, that is exactly what they have been raised as and will pass along to their great great grand 'children'

I am surprised we dont see more of them throwing faeces around.

Edited by edgarfriendly

It's not the roads,...it's these idiots waking up in the morning, getting in and driving these big trucks/cars whatnot and not thinking about anything else, i.e. Road signs, stop lights, people walking along side the road,...absolutely oblivious to anything, backwoods kinda peeps.

Without in ANY way wishing to diminish the tragedy that has unfolded, I am staggered at the ongoing mix of quasi-racist slurs that masquerade as informed comment, from people who have apparently chosen to live in Thailand. From this 'objective' perspective, any issue seems to be an excuse for endlessly slagging off Thai people based on apparent awareness of their thinking, mentality, intelligence etc. All of this from expats who have such a profound knowledge of all things Thai. Unlike the risk averse majority who respond to issues such as this, I chose to live in Thailand for the very reason that it is not the all encompassing nanny state that I left behind in Australia, and is a place where I take personal responsibility for MY actions, including riding a motor cycle, where possible at speeds that would have me incarcerated back 'home'. And before you all attempt to pillory me for this 'irresponsible' behaviour, or suggest that I have not paid my debts for this conduct. Yes I have been injured (broken collar bone twice etc) from accidents, but for the uninitiated, this is part of the game. Thais understand this, revel in it and pay the occasional price. If you nonces do not understand, then perhaps you are not well positioned to offer informed comment. Sit in your lounge chairs, stay 'safe'and watch your boring existences pass before you in a haze of detached (un)reality!

• Like 1

Just heard that there was another fatal bus crash on this same road last Thursday, 24th April.

Charter bus from Kanchanaburi going to Mae Sot carrying Burmese labourers.

Bus driver killed along with at least one passenger and many injuries.

Lost the brakes going downhill.

Once again brake failure, but the bus didn't lose the brakes going down hill, just another useless driver. The only thing you can say is - guess the gene pool has been reduced by one idiot.

"It was there destiny " is the only Thai reply you will get as NO one cares.

Usually, I don't read these threads because of the predictable replies.

Who is better off then, the Thais and their belief in karma and you in your catastrophic thinking?

Get over it all of you readers that are shocked - life has a different meaning in Thailand.

Last week when driving to work I saw 2 motorcycles lying on the road and the riders were probably dead. After being here 20 years, I never really blinked an eye. 20 years ago, I'd probably have had some kind of panic attack and would be haunted by the event for weeks.

Personally, I prefer the Thais view on life and their "arai ja gerd gaw hai mun gerd" philosophy.

Seems like many farang have a problem in accepting when their time(or a loved one) is up.

I would like to choose when my time is up, not have it chosen for me by some reckless idiot.

As for the Thais my mother in law made two suicide attempts after her teenage son was killed by a drunk driver who paid off the police to avoid his responsibility.

In all my time here I've noticed people talk about kharma when it doesn't personally impact them.

When it's themselves or a close family relative involved then kharma is forgotten and more often or not justice is what is required.

Any idiot driver that kills any on my family and "pays-off" the police to avoid his responsibility - will be in for a very rude shock.

Without in ANY way wishing to diminish the tragedy that has unfolded, I am staggered at the ongoing mix of quasi-racist slurs that masquerade as informed comment, from people who have apparently chosen to live in Thailand. From this 'objective' perspective, any issue seems to be an excuse for endlessly slagging off Thai people based on apparent awareness of their thinking, mentality, intelligence etc. All of this from expats who have such a profound knowledge of all things Thai. Unlike the risk averse majority who respond to issues such as this, I chose to live in Thailand for the very reason that it is not the all encompassing nanny state that I left behind in Australia, and is a place where I take personal responsibility for MY actions, including riding a motor cycle, where possible at speeds that would have me incarcerated back 'home'. And before you all attempt to pillory me for this 'irresponsible' behaviour, or suggest that I have not paid my debts for this conduct. Yes I have been injured (broken collar bone twice etc) from accidents, but for the uninitiated, this is part of the game. Thais understand this, revel in it and pay the occasional price. If you nonces do not understand, then perhaps you are not well positioned to offer informed comment. Sit in your lounge chairs, stay 'safe'and watch your boring existences pass before you in a haze of detached (un)reality!

so its 'nanny state' or absolute pandemonium??

no room for improvement??

yea, right!

"Thailand's roads are among the world's deadliest and accidents are common"

lucky that thai drivers are among the best in the world, otherwise it would be much worse...

It's not the roads,...it's these idiots waking up in the morning, getting in and driving these big trucks/cars whatnot and not thinking about anything else, i.e. Road signs, stop lights, people walking along side the road,...absolutely oblivious to anything, backwoods kinda peeps.

Seems disrespectful to the deceased and her family and friends.

Not really,the first thing they think about is money.Thai"s are not human when it comes to an accident,they are a commodity.How much is this dead piece of meat worth.Someone please prove me wrong.

Read my above post.

My immediate Thai family wanted justice for their loved one but were denied that by police corruption.

My grief stricken mil made two suicide attempts because of her loss.

Her dead son was not a commodity to be expoited but a tragic waste of life that deserved better than the indifference, ineptitude and self interest that led up to and followed the accident.

I presume she made sure he didn't drive a motorbike while under age and had a driving license and always wore a crash helmet........no ? thought not

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

TV members are getting conditioned to this type of thing and no longer find themselves surprised, until such time as police enforce strict driving regulations and drivers are made to undergo special driving instruction for heavy vehicles this will keep happening. Actually making any vehicle used to transport people to be inspected yearly and made to be safe would help too, all these "brake" failuires are a joke.

You can try to teach Thais to drive but it's just a waste of time, they just won't listen, passing in front of hilltops, in curves, drinking and driving, you name it coffee1.gif

Seems disrespectful to the deceased and her family and friends.

Not really,the first thing they think about is money.Thai"s are not human when it comes to an accident,they are a commodity.How much is this dead piece of meat worth.Someone please prove me wrong.

Read my above post.

My immediate Thai family wanted justice for their loved one but were denied that by police corruption.

My grief stricken mil made two suicide attempts because of her loss.

Her dead son was not a commodity to be expoited but a tragic waste of life that deserved better than the indifference, ineptitude and self interest that led up to and followed the accident.

I presume she made sure he didn't drive a motorbike while under age and had a driving license and always wore a crash helmet........no ? thought not

For your information to enlighten you of the facts.

He was hit by a drunk driver as he helped at the scene of an accident outside the family home.

Didn't die straight away but clung onto life in ICU for a week before succumbing to horrific injuries.

Don't presume anything as the facts of this incident are totally different.

edwinchester

I don't doubt that your mil grieves for her son especially under such tragic circumstances. He was a teenager so we can assume he had a motorbike. Did your mil love her son sufficiently to ensure he didn't drive underage,had a driving license and always wore a crash helmet ? If not his death could have come about anyway as with so many other teens on the roads here,who would she blame then? I have been to several funerals in my village and seen crying mothers of sons aged 13 or 15 years old who died driving motorbikes on main roads (no crash helmet of course,and who gave them the motorbikes to drive, mummy ) Never do you hear a word of self blame,it's always someone else's fault. You can't do everything to protect your children but most Thai parents don't even do the basics.

edwinchester

I don't doubt that your mil grieves for her son especially under such tragic circumstances. He was a teenager so we can assume he had a motorbike. Did your mil love her son sufficiently to ensure he didn't drive underage,had a driving license and always wore a crash helmet ? If not his death could have come about anyway as with so many other teens on the roads here,who would she blame then? I have been to several funerals in my village and seen crying mothers of sons aged 13 or 15 years old who died driving motorbikes on main roads (no crash helmet of course,and who gave them the motorbikes to drive, mummy ) Never do you hear a word of self blame,it's always someone else's fault. You can't do everything to protect your children but most Thai parents don't even do the basics.

He was 19 when he died. Didn't have his own bike as the whole family share one Honda stepthru.

Believe it or not but everyone nearly always wears a helmet in this family although a short 100m ride to the shops may see them resort to Thainess.

My point was to highlight the corruption that exists and that not every Thai should be dismissed as somebody out to profit from tradgedy.

My inlaws lost a son through no fault of his own then that loss was compounded by a corrupt police force out to line their own pockets.

edwinchester

He was 19 when he died. Didn't have his own bike as the whole family share one Honda stepthru.

Believe it or not but everyone nearly always wears a helmet in this family although a short 100m ride to the shops may see them resort to Thainess.

My point was to highlight the corruption that exists and that not every Thai should be dismissed as somebody out to profit from tradgedy.

My inlaws lost a son through no fault of his own then that loss was compounded by a corrupt police force out to line their own pockets.

Well sorry for your inlaws loss then. I personally have only ever had positive experiences with the police here but this is in the country and probably different swings and roundabouts as after a short time one gets to know the police personally, festivals,weddings,funerals etc.

A few months ago i drove the mil in the small country town here,she had just visited the doctors, i picked her up and drove 20 meters when we were stopped and motioned over to a police desk at the side of the road,we hadn't put our seat belts on ! we both got out of the car,mil knew one policeman and i knew the other,we said at the same time "we don't have any money on us", they laughed and motioned us to go, one chuckling "next time then".

edwinchester

Well sorry for your inlaws loss then. I personally have only ever had positive experiences with the police here but this is in the country and probably different swings and roundabouts as after a short time one gets to know the police personally, festivals,weddings,funerals etc.

A few months ago i drove the mil in the small country town here,she had just visited the doctors, i picked her up and drove 20 meters when we were stopped and motioned over to a police desk at the side of the road,we hadn't put our seat belts on ! we both got out of the car,mil knew one policeman and i knew the other,we said at the same time "we don't have any money on us", they laughed and motioned us to go, one chuckling "next time then".

Nice that you have good experience of the police here.

If you want a good read have a look at one of my topics

"our new year present from somchai"

May go a way to explaining why some here don't trust the police an inch.