I need a lawyer who won't stab me in the back.

healthbkkbkk

I'm in the middle of a long court process against my ex-wife. I am also finding it impossible to find a lawyer who won't cheat me in order to help her win.

The lawyer before last strung me along for 18 months until I verified if he had really done the work he said he had done (after collecting 100,000 baht). I found he had done nothing and when I confronted him he quite without refunding my money.

My last lawyer did the same but I only waited 5 months before going to the courthouse myself with another lawyer to verify if he had actually filed the paperwork I paid him to do. We found he had not and when we confronted him he said he didn't want my case and left with my money.

Can anyone suggest a lawyer who will not cheat me. My ex-wife has a lot of money but it all came from me. Legally the money belongs to me but to get it I need a lawyer to file the paperwork and then aide in the execution of the court warrents.

A pervious lawyer had gone so far as to get the papers to a judge and the judge ordered the execution thus validating the money is mine but he dissapeared and didn't follow up. In other words the judge oreder her assessts confiscated and given to me. The judge's order is good for 7 days and if the executioner isn't paid within that time the warrent becomes invalid and the papperwork must be resubmitted.

I have been trying to find an advocate but can't. I really need a lawyer to file the papperwork and follow up on the execution of the warrents.

Thanks

• Like 2

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been my practice to hate all lawyers, except mine when I need him. But the rest of the time, he's included in the lot.

I've been told there are some reputable western attorneys here who have immersed themselves in Thai law (and the culture!) who are reasonable and legitimate in their pricing structures, depending on the need. I know there are a few firms in Exchange Tower at Asoke BTS (enter 2nd floor from platform). Perhaps go and check directory by lifts and pay a few of them a visit.

With regard to civil matters, including divorce, I think you'll find it's a global scourge of "back n forth" with the only participants talking..., the lawyers.

Some things are not exclusive to one part of the world versus another. Jurisprudence definitely falls into that category.

Good luck, and remember..., "Marriage is the leading cause of divorce today!"

• Like 1

Lawyers in Thailand are notoriously dishonest, greedy and unscrupulous bunch of people

you have ever seen, there is no way of knowing what they will do once you have hired them

it's a crap shoot out there, in one of my court case I have managed to persuade the opposing

lawyer ( with a big wade of cash ) to work for me while he still advising my opponent, so go figure...

I have one, can send you his name if you want by PM....but.....no guarantee, no promise he is good, or will do everything right.....just that he has done stuff for me and found him fine, good english.

No harm to talk and meet with him, then decide based on what he says and will do....he is also quite aggressive, does not take crap.

• Like 2

I am in exactly the same boat. Not only did my lawyer take my money and do nothing, she is now representing my ex husband. Try the guys who give free advise here. Siam legal. They seem to know what they are doing. Good luck with it. You are really going to need it.

Siam Legal are not the firm offering free advice.

So, you're looking for an "honest lawyer" (an oxymoron of note). I wish you good luck and a lamp with a genie inside. There's a saying that it's only 99% of lawyers that give the rest of them a bad name and I'm inclined to think that's an understatement. For what it's worth, here's my suggestion:

What you require is the performance of a simple administrative function. There's no rocket science involved and it will probably fall on some lowly clerk to do the actual work. This should be charged at a fixed flat rate which both parties agree to in a simple written agreement (a couple of paragraphs). As for payment, I would offer ZERO up front and 100% on satisfactory completion - backed up by an irrevocable bank guarantee (which the lawyers can draft at their own expense). Just be sure that you trust your bank manager to properly explain what you are signing up for!

If you don't get that, move on. If you can't get that, write it off and get on with life.

Lawyers in Thailand are notoriously dishonest, greedy and unscrupulous bunch of people

you have ever seen, there is no way of knowing what they will do once you have hired them

it's a crap shoot out there, in one of my court case I have managed to persuade the opposing

lawyer ( with a big wade of cash ) to work for me while he still advising my opponent, so go figure...

Care to share by starting a thread ?

Way more interesting than the new 1 you just started.

• Like 1

Blumenthal Richter & Sumet. You should google them.

They are hands down the best legal team in Thailand, imho. Be warned, they are not cheap but that's the problem here, isn't it? We often want to pay peanuts but are surprised when we get monkeys. When it comes to legal representation, better to invest to ensure you get the best possible outcome.

It is criminal what many lawyers do, but even many lawyers in the West are thieves. My friend needed a divorce; he did all the work in gathering all the paperwork and all the lawyer did was sit on the paperwork, not use it and give into whatever the opposing lawyer wanted. It wasn't for any personal gain either, aside from collecting money from my friend that he never earned, just plain lazy.

A lawyer friend of mine took his case and sued the other lawyer, which is rare and got most of his money back. I'll bet it happens a ton more in this country.

As someone else said, hopefully you will get a good recommendation via PM from somebody.

One lawyer for divorce said she would charge me 30,000 baht if we went to courts and less if just settled. I said OK so we went back and forth and back and forth with my ex wife and then settled Went down to the goverment buiding signed the papers and got a divorce. Then she said OK 30,000 I said For what we did not go to court we just went to the city for the divorce

I gave her 10,000 and said That is it No more we are finished this did not go to court. End of story

I would pass on Tilleke & Gibbons if I were you. This lawyer behavior is typical in Thailand. There are very few lawyers with any integrity and very few controls on them. You should definitely file a complaint about your previous lawyers with the Lawyers Council in Bangkok.

As for your current problem be quick to find a new lawyer. The one I am using is horribly expensive

I am in exactly the same boat. Not only did my lawyer take my money and do nothing, she is now representing my ex husband. Try the guys who give free advise here. Siam legal. They seem to know what they are doing. Good luck with it. You are really going to need it.

He cannot change sides it is against the Lawyers code - file a complaint with the Lawyers Council here without delay. They will take that on. Take an interpreter with you.

• Like 2

I agree it makes sence that Siam legal is getting alot of advertising from this webste and they would not want get their reputation ruined on this forum plus they seem to be super professional in their advertising.

adding my personal experiences with the comments made in the thread there is only one conclusion possible......

WE FOREIGNERS ARE FAIR GAME WHEN IT COMES TO OUR RIGHTS AND WRONGS

Blumenthal Richter & Sumet. You should google them.

They are hands down the best legal team in Thailand, imho. Be warned, they are not cheap but that's the problem here, isn't it? We often want to pay peanuts but are surprised when we get monkeys. When it comes to legal representation, better to invest to ensure you get the best possible outcome.

I had the opposite experience with them and say " stay away".

It is correct that they are not cheap. I wonder that people here recomment 2 foreign law firms from Pattaya which are run by shady characters pretending to be lawyers.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by hanuman2543

Maybe worthwhile talking to the likes of

Tilleke & Gibbons

Baker & Mackenzie

Will not be cheap using them, but the are reliable

And well north of $300 an hour but it might be worth it.