I need a lawyer who won't stab me in the back.

healthbkkbkk

Have very decent man. He has helped us more than once without fee. When I post his name and contact info it gets flagged. Supose because he isn't advertising on TV. Not sure. He will not cheat you. That I'm sure.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have very decent man. He has helped us more than once without fee. When I post his name and contact info it gets flagged. Supose because he isn't advertising on TV. Not sure. He will not cheat you. That I'm sure.

Do it by PM if people ask you.....some around here are quite anal about that kind of thing...you know, helping decent people out...especially if not a quid in it for them.

• Like 2

Many of the Thai lawyers I've met have no more than a bachelor degree in law which includes from such universities as Ramkamheang and others you wouldn't even have heard of. However these lawyers are cheap but their work less than shoddy. Just getting a 30 lease done on a property I was surprised that the first two lawyers at I met confused the contract with the 3 year lease signed at the city hall 'blue book' dept and did not know that lease ownership could be changed on the title deed. They will usually always try to help the Thai partner who they correctly or not believe is the most likely to come up with the goodies if anything shall go wrong such as if they want to take back the property, liquidate the business, etc.

Get to know any lawyer, test them out on a law that you about.

Maybe worthwhile talking to the likes of

Tilleke & Gibbons

Baker & Mackenzie

Will not be cheap using them, but the are reliable

Tilleke & Gibbons are reputable and I think do family law and don't mind taking on individuals as clients. (They have been in existence for over a century and the senior partner, an American with Thai nationality, is Corporate Values Officer). Baker & MacKenzie are also reputable but I think they do almost exclusively corporate law, even if they claim to be all rounders. If you have had bad experiences with lawyers, I would suggest T&G. Never heard of anyone complain about them. Most of the expat type lawyers that advertise will be out of their depth going beyond work permits, company registrations, land registration etc. To keep fees down they rely on unqualified clerks to do most of the work. I am not knocking them as most go a good job at a reasonable price for routine work but this is not routine work.

In answer to the title of this thread; I have yet to find one that is quadriplegic! smile.png

(& before the PC brigade jump on the "outrage" bus I mean a lawyer that cannot grab a knife!)

Edited by evadgib

I am in exactly the same boat. Not only did my lawyer take my money and do nothing, she is now representing my ex husband. Try the guys who give free advise here. Siam legal. They seem to know what they are doing. Good luck with it. You are really going to need it.

i wouldnt recomend siam legal from personal experience

• Like 1

Same thing happened to me. Lawyer from Bangkok agreed to come to Phuket to help ( for a fee of course ) after receiving 50,000 baht he arrived at court the second time demanded more money another 50,000 baht and was told by both me and my interpreter that that wasn't agreement, he agreed but changed tack to tell me I owed him extra 50,000 baht for a contract he drew up, I pulled out his acceptance letter I got him to write which stated the agreed fee included all and every thing he had to do to conclude the case at an agreed amount with 50,000 baht down and rest on conclusion, he tried to tell me this was different ... Not buying it.

We went up stairs he walked into court excused himself from being my Lawyer on grounds he had to travel too far and we had language problems ... both things he knew when he accepted the job.

Turned out he had done no paper work, filed nothing so the extra money he would have taken and still left as he couldn't conduct the case any way.

I found a good lawyer in Koh Samui , still need interpreter but he is well priced, professional and very good, we won now if I could just get the police to enforce the arrest order without paying them I would be happy

If you would like Max's details msg me and good luck

• Like 1

Tilleke & Gibbons

Baker & Mackenzie

Baker & Mackenzie is a top-tier firm from NYC. You can research them on martindale dot com Do not ever trust a Thai lawyer! coffee1.gif

Prey tell, why wouldn't you trust a Thai lawyer? You've proven yourself to be a clueless wonder thus far, so why no illuminate us on why bakers (who are basically full of Thai lawyers when I've worked with them) would want to cheat their clients.... Just cause they are Thai?

Tilleke & Gibbons

Baker & Mackenzie

I can vouch for Tilleke & Gibbons. Good luck with the problem.

Edited by rbmcn

Tilleke & Gibbons

Baker & Mackenzie

Baker & Mackenzie is a top-tier firm from NYC. You can research them on martindale dot com Do not ever trust a Thai lawyer! coffee1.gif

Prey tell, why wouldn't you trust a Thai lawyer? You've proven yourself to be a clueless wonder thus far, so why no illuminate us on why bakers (who are basically full of Thai lawyers when I've worked with them) would want to cheat their clients.... Just cause they are Thai?

Well Tilleke did just that to me - they don't care because they think they are untouchable. Thai style

The majority of Farangs, before engaging in any "investment" will proclaim " I will never invest more than I can not walk away from". Fine, some do.

Others do the math: After having written off the mansion, the 3 cars etc etc they may reach the conclusion, that with all this money they could have financed a comfortable life for themselves (including nightly entertainment) for the next 125 years.

Next step: "Where can I get a good lawyer................."

- Upon discovery, that a Thai female was in the position to fleece a Farang this far, the Thai lawyer will see this as an invitation to dance. Meaning: To fleece him of the rest of his remaining assets.

A Farng living in Thailand is not living in paradise, he is living in a "Banana-Republic" with all it's consequences.

Cheers.

The majority of Farangs, before engaging in any "investment" will proclaim " I will never invest more than I can not walk away from". Fine, some do.

Others do the math: After having written off the mansion, the 3 cars etc etc they may reach the conclusion, that with all this money they could have financed a comfortable life for themselves (including nightly entertainment) for the next 125 years.

Next step: "Where can I get a good lawyer................."

- Upon discovery, that a Thai female was in the position to fleece a Farang this far, the Thai lawyer will see this as an invitation to dance. Meaning: To fleece him of the rest of his remaining assets.

A Farng living in Thailand is not living in paradise, he is living in a "Banana-Republic" with all it's consequences.

Cheers.

Tilleke & Gibbons

Baker & Mackenzie

Yes, sausage boy, just because they are Thai! Take a look around. History will prove that it is best to be cautious/suspicious when dealing with Thai's.

Que apologists.... coffee1.gif

Tilleke & Gibbons

Baker & Mackenzie

Yes, sausage boy, just because they are Thai! Take a look around. History will prove that it is best to be cautious/suspicious when dealing with Thai's.

Que apologists.... coffee1.gif

First you talk up B&M - thinking they are full of white fella's who will treat you just right....cause they are white.

Then struggle witht he fact that non-Thai citizens can't practice law. Dolloped on top of that, defaming anyone who is Thai who practices law. Cause of 'history' no less.....

What happened, did you buy some land, put it in your girlfriends name, thinking it will be yours, only to have a lawyer tell you, "sorry fella it ain't". Let me guess, they should all be viewed with suspicion case you stuffed up, but are looking for someone to blame....

By the way, it is 'queue', not 'Que'. But you are superior white man. You know best.

Edited by samran

It has been my practice to hate all lawyers, except mine when I need him. But the rest of the time, he's included in the lot.

I've been told there are some reputable western attorneys here who have immersed themselves in Thai law (and the culture!) who are reasonable and legitimate in their pricing structures, depending on the need. I know there are a few firms in Exchange Tower at Asoke BTS (enter 2nd floor from platform). Perhaps go and check directory by lifts and pay a few of them a visit.

With regard to civil matters, including divorce, I think you'll find it's a global scourge of "back n forth" with the only participants talking..., the lawyers.

Some things are not exclusive to one part of the world versus another. Jurisprudence definitely falls into that category.

Good luck, and remember..., "Marriage is the leading cause of divorce today!"

Only Thai nationals are allowed to work as lawyers in Thailand.

Any foreign national claiming different should not be employed, unless in a purely advisory capacity.

Leaving you with your original problem of a Thai lawyer in court and filing papers.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

It has been my practice to hate all lawyers, except mine when I need him. But the rest of the time, he's included in the lot.

I've been told there are some reputable western attorneys here who have immersed themselves in Thai law (and the culture!) who are reasonable and legitimate in their pricing structures, depending on the need. I know there are a few firms in Exchange Tower at Asoke BTS (enter 2nd floor from platform). Perhaps go and check directory by lifts and pay a few of them a visit.

With regard to civil matters, including divorce, I think you'll find it's a global scourge of "back n forth" with the only participants talking..., the lawyers.

Some things are not exclusive to one part of the world versus another. Jurisprudence definitely falls into that category.

Good luck, and remember..., "Marriage is the leading cause of divorce today!"

Only Thai nationals are allowed to work as lawyers in Thailand.

Any foreign national claiming different should not be employed, unless in a purely advisory capacity.

Leaving you with your original problem of a Thai lawyer in court and filing papers.

On the surface that appears to be the case, but in reality, the thai 'lawyer' is only a signature on the filing. Some aren't here even 'lawyers'...... But that's another topic.

In practice the motions and negotiations are being handled by the foreign lawyer, who is a member of a bar association, where you can file a complaint if they make a mistake.

My lawyer is a Canadian who got a full scholarship in Australia and worked for Perkins Coie in NYC. I don't think they would make a career move that would take them out of the game.

@rogeuwo,

There's a certain scottish conman who's ripped of loads of foreigners in Thailand by posing as a so called barister he is by no means a barister but is or was a member of the British bar association apperently any body can become a member.

Tilleke & Gibbons

Baker & Mackenzie

You obviously have zero experience of Thai lawyers or have been very fortunate in finding a professional and straight one. Not that I have any personal experience of Baker & Macenzie, though I know others who have used them and found them exceedingly expensive. Maybe expensive is cheap in the long run, if one keeps getting shafted by successive lawyers. I know many people taking cases and sone have been through six lawyers, each one cheating or deceiving and there are so many opportunities. I have to say Phuket is full of corrupt lawyers and very very few who will help against other Thais. Those that might face the full force of the gang who see any lawyer assisting a foreigner as the enemy to the point of threats and intimidation as well as corruption. And of that point I am certain!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Tilleke & Gibbons

Baker & Mackenzie

You obviously have zero experience of Thai lawyers or have been very fortunate in finding a professional and straight one. Not that I have any personal experience of Baker & Macenzie, though I know others who have used them and found them exceedingly expensive. Maybe expensive is cheap in the long run, if one keeps getting shafted by successive lawyers. I know many people taking cases and sone have been through six lawyers, each one cheating or deceiving and there are so many opportunities. I have to say Phuket is full of corrupt lawyers and very very few who will help against other Thais. Those that might face the full force of the gang who see any lawyer assisting a foreigner as the enemy to the point of threats and intimidation as well as corruption. And of that point I am certain!

Unfortunately, I have hired and fired more lawyers than I care to admit. At one point I had lawyers monitoring my lawyers. biggrin.png The cost of doing business. After a while, you learn how to qualify them.

Now, if they even look sideways, I pass. Yes, I have been very lucky here.

The last part of your paragraph is true, and a testament to my sentiment. The writing on the wall is glaringly obvious!

Tilleke & Gibbons

Baker & Mackenzie

Baker & McKenzie was founded in Chicago in 1949. It adopted a Swiss Verein structure in 2004. It still maintains its global and administrative HQ in Chicago.

The Baker& McKenzie practice in Thailand is geared toward assisting foreign-based corporations in their Thailand operations and assisting Thailand-based corporations in their ventures ex-Thailand.

Edited by JLCrab

Tilleke & Gibbons

Baker & Mackenzie

I've worked with Thai, Lao, Cambodian and of course 'western' lawyers - Australian, American, British and Canadian. Cause that is where my (own) firm takes me, as well as working on IPO's and M&A's in a previous life. Some were good, some bad and most indifferent. One I've come across leads a shocking personal life, asked an associate of mine for money after a BG ran off with his wallet when he was passed out, forgets to turn up to meetings, but have carved out a niche here in Thailand (he's American by the way) and works with one of the leading regional firms.

I don't equate charging like wounded bulls as being 'out to get whitey'. We are talking about lawyers afterall. We work side by side with Bakers at the moment - who do charge like that. I think they could add a lot more value to what their clients want, but again, they are lawyers and for the most part, they aren't trained to be commerically minded. The ones with any commerical nous, run off to be investment bankers. And do extremely well.

They know the rules and processes, and as someone who hires them, it is your job to get what you want out of them. But other advisors - commerical and strategic - are often necessary. Lawyers are just the paper sufflers. To expect anymore, in most cases, is setting yourself up for disappointment. And cause they work by the hour - if you dont like you are getting, you get another one.

But I'm realistic. Confusing the above as being out to get whitey is just a bit over the top.

Edited by samran

Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their kind attentions and replies to my post.

I find myself impressed with the intellectual quality and useful information I have gathered from many of the members here.

Thanks again to everyone.

Xavier

Just an update:

I have found a lawyer isn't necessary to file many of the papers one might need to expose to a judge.

Yesterday and today I spent numerous hours filing myself. The judge signed off within an hour.

I wonder why no lawyer ever mentioned this to me before as filing myself is absolutly free of charge.

Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their kind attentions and replies to my post.

I find myself impressed with the intellectual quality and useful information I have gathered from many of the members here.

Thanks again to everyone.

Xavier

Good to see you figured that out. What you discovered is that professional services firms sometimes charge for things we can do for yourself. Like building a house. Sure we can do it ourselves, but are we going to? Some people are very happy and willing to pay for things like that as it saves their more valuable time. Like most things in life there is a cost benefit equation we must make. Edited by samran

As far as I am aware it's impossible for a farang to legal protection insurance in Thaland. There is a reason for that.

What is legal protection insurance? Or are you meaning liability insurance?

As far as I am aware it's impossible for a farang to legal protection insurance in Thaland. There is a reason for that.

What is legal protection insurance? Or are you meaning liability insurance?

On my home contents insurance in the UK I have an add-on that covers me for any legal fees incurred should I have a civil legal problem. I have the same for my limited company as an add-on to my liability insurance to cover me for any legal issues arising such as unpaid invoices etc.