severance pay

hi. I am working as an english teacher since 2 years at a goverment school. my contract ends on may 15th.

the school did not contact me up to now for a new contract or even when the new term starts.the school likes to do everything

at the last minute every year.my question is am I eligible for severance pay and how much.I also found out that they have to pay social

security which they never did.

I have another school already who would take me from may 16th on.

thanks for all replays in advance

It sounds like the old school waits until the last minute to offer contracts. Is that correct?

Have they told you that they won't be wanting you next year?

If they haven't yet, by your own admission they might offer you a contract when the new term starts.

If you choose to take a job at another school instead of waiting, then you are leaving voluntarily, so no severance is due.

If this is a government school, contact the SS Office about the school not enrolling you. My experience has been that they are helpful.

If a private school, I think you are not eligible for SS.

Edited by TerryLH

hi. I am working as an english teacher since 2 years at a goverment school. my contract ends on may 15th.

the school did not contact me up to now for a new contract or even when the new term starts.the school likes to do everything

at the last minute every year.my question is am I eligible for severance pay and how much.I also found out that they have to pay social

security which they never did.

I have another school already who would take me from may 16th on.

thanks for all replays in advance

You should know the Thai head teacher's phone number, or anybody at this school to let you know where you stand. If your contract ends on the 15th, so does your visa and provisional teacher's license./work permit.

If you'd decide to take the other job, you'd not be entitled to receive severance pay. And you'd have to leave the country with all the right documents to obtain a new visa.

The work permit can't just be transferred to another school. Did they deduct 600- 750 baht a month for your social security? Usually the school pays in the same amount. Maybe they did?

Please be aware that I'm also still waiting for the documents to extend visa and work permit,as well as many others.

If you come back on a new visa, you'll have the 90 days given to apply for a new provisional teacher's license. Best of luck.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Thai Government schools are specifically by law exempt from paying severance.The

Social payment is required by law, and I would assume most schools pay it. If as was mentioned, they

made the deduction, it makes no sense they would then not pay into the system on your behalf. I guess

it's possible, just doubtful. Follow up on that aspect. Forget getting a severance package.