Monks defrocked, get rehab for Phuket garden drug parties

Lite Beer

getting hire looking for bhuda's heaven blink.png or hearth pleasure xpartytime2.gif.pagespeed.ic.V_K7hML3fS. .......also quick money from farang not too into the reality....well nice try !why not....also the monks need some fun somedays and things to tell to their grand childrens...cheesy.gif

Farangs get caught being under the influence of drugs and they go straight to jail with huge fines, while thai monks get a slap on the wrist, anyone see a double standard here?

yes just like the vatican protecting all the paedos in their gang

Even religion is corrupt on Phuket. biggrin.png

All religion is corrupt everywhere.

More like people are corrupt under the banner of religion everywhere.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Can't Tat somehow twist this around,come and get high in a thai temple or something,c'mon Tat.

Maybe the TAT could turn this into a tourist attraction.

The monks could throw a full moon party and you can come to Phuket to party with the monks. biggrin.png

I often thought that Thailand is positively medieval in many respects and very similar to western power structures just before the reformation. Religion is no different - Henry 8th for his own nefarious reasons saw to the dissolution of the monasteries and one of his humanist scholars Erasmus made some telling observations about the religious orders at the time. Ring any bells !?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissolution_of_the_Monasteries

Erasmus's criticisms of the monks and nuns of his day were threefold;

that, in withdrawing from the world into their own communal life, they elevated man-made monastic vows of poverty, chastity and obedience above the God-given vows of sacramental baptism; and elevated man-made monastic rules for religious life above the God-given teachings of the Gospels;

that, notwithstanding exceptional communities of genuine austere life and exemplary charity, the overwhelming majority of abbeys and priories were havens for idle drones; concerned only for their own existence, reserving for themselves an excessive share of the commonwealth's religious assets, and contributing little or nothing to the spiritual needs of ordinary people;

that the monasteries, almost without exception, were heavily involved in promoting and profiting from the unscriptural and superstitious veneration of relics, in the form of pilgrimages and purported miraculous tokens. The cult of relics was by no means specific to monasteries, but Erasmus was scandalised by the extent to which well-educated and highly regarded monks and nuns would participate in the perpetration of obvious frauds against gullible and credulous lay believers.

Summarising the state of monastic life across Western Europe, David Knowles said;

The verdict of unprejudiced historians at the present day would probably beabstracting from all ideological considerations for or against monasticismthat there were far too many religious houses in existence in view of the widespread decline of the fervent monastic vocation, and that in every country the monks possessed too much of wealth and of the sources of production both for their own well-being and for the material good of the economy.

Boreing

What rehabilitation?

Send them to jail, so they can pray hard, when the inmates ask them to bend over.

You're here long enough to understand that these guys have spiritual powers and would even make it thumbsup.gif happen that the guards bend over.

Many Thai people have deep faith in Buddha and Monks.

Budhism is a counterforce to: greed,addiction and corruption. It gives you peace and acceptance.

About the great mayority of monks who live a good life you don´t read too much because this is boring for the media.

I like the following saying.

Every thief has a future.

Every holy man has a past.

getting hire looking for bhuda's heaven blink.png or hearth pleasure xpartytime2.gif.pagespeed.ic.V_K7hML3fS. .......also quick money from farang not too into the reality....well nice try !why not....also the monks need some fun somedays and things to tell to their grand childrens...cheesy.gif

The last part of that went over some heads at Mach 3.

Many Thai people have deep faith in Buddha and Monks.

Many?

I could count on one hand how many Thai people I know that have a real belief in the teachings of Buddha,

Ask me to count how many I know that believe in Animist spirits, luck, fortune telling etc ... even if I took my socks off, it wouldn't be enough.

I keep meeting farangs in Thailand who profess to be Buddhist. The general consensus is that western religions are corrupt and hypocritical while eastern religions are pure and somehow better...probably just because they are different. The truth is they are all corrupt. Stories like this make me laugh because some people are actually horrified at the behaviour of these monks. The truth is that people are people, all over the world...and people are driven by instinct. Hiding behind a religion will do nothing to diminish the instinct.

• Like 1

I often thought that Thailand is positively medieval in many respects and very similar to western power structures just before the reformation. Religion is no different - Henry 8th for his own nefarious reasons saw to the dissolution of the monasteries and one of his humanist scholars Erasmus made some telling observations about the religious orders at the time. Ring any bells !?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissolution_of_the_Monasteries

Erasmus's criticisms of the monks and nuns of his day were threefold;

that, in withdrawing from the world into their own communal life, they elevated man-made monastic vows of poverty, chastity and obedience above the God-given vows of sacramental baptism; and elevated man-made monastic rules for religious life above the God-given teachings of the Gospels;

that, notwithstanding exceptional communities of genuine austere life and exemplary charity, the overwhelming majority of abbeys and priories were havens for idle drones; concerned only for their own existence, reserving for themselves an excessive share of the commonwealth's religious assets, and contributing little or nothing to the spiritual needs of ordinary people;

that the monasteries, almost without exception, were heavily involved in promoting and profiting from the unscriptural and superstitious veneration of relics, in the form of pilgrimages and purported miraculous tokens. The cult of relics was by no means specific to monasteries, but Erasmus was scandalised by the extent to which well-educated and highly regarded monks and nuns would participate in the perpetration of obvious frauds against gullible and credulous lay believers.

Summarising the state of monastic life across Western Europe, David Knowles said;

The verdict of unprejudiced historians at the present day would probably beabstracting from all ideological considerations for or against monasticismthat there were far too many religious houses in existence in view of the widespread decline of the fervent monastic vocation, and that in every country the monks possessed too much of wealth and of the sources of production both for their own well-being and for the material good of the economy.

Boreing

boring is as boring does - please note no 'e'

Can't Tat somehow twist this around,come and get high in a thai temple or something,c'mon Tat.

Maybe the TAT could turn this into a tourist attraction.

The monks could throw a full moon party and you can come to Phuket to party with the monks. biggrin.png

They already have parties, e.g. monk ordination events at temples often have sexy coyote dancers on stage don't they? I've seen a few YouTube videos.

They said they had traveled to Phuket because they could get good money from local people and tourists wanting to make merit.

So the abbot will be the one to give merit to them for that?

anyone can become a monk, specially people evading the police

and that is why i have 0 respect

+ those flashy monks (private jet), girls, money in the millions or even billions ... no shame

but this is thai buddism , aka GREED

You are absolute right, noone should use Budhism to escape form life. I use the teachings of Buddha to explore myself. It´s not a dogma. For me it´s a way to learn to be more aware of life. In tensed situations I can relax more easily because I understand my condition.

When you write:"The truth is that people are people, all over the world...and people are driven by instinct"

My instinct (sex,food,defense) is a natural part of me but I dont want to be limited/controlled by it.

I keep meeting farangs in Thailand who profess to be Buddhist. The general consensus is that western religions are corrupt and hypocritical while eastern religions are pure and somehow better...probably just because they are different. The truth is they are all corrupt. Stories like this make me laugh because some people are actually horrified at the behaviour of these monks. The truth is that people are people, all over the world...and people are driven by instinct. Hiding behind a religion will do nothing to diminish the instinct.

• Like 2

I have met many Occidentals claiming to be Buddhists too but when I ask the simplest of questions pertaining to Buddhism they know nothing about it.

I don not believe it is possible to convert to a religion while not knowing anything, or just the basics, of that religion.

Ironic a bunch of cops standing there and giving monks ethical advice

On passing through immigration at the airport you enter the Thailand Worm Hole which is a sort of Alice in Wonderland experience. Normal rules, expectations do not apply - Welcome to Thailand.

• Like 1