Thai Take Away Food in "Foam" boxes

ronthai

You can use metal tiffins, available everywhere...

https://www.google.com/search?q=tiffin+containers&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9C5iU-CDEIy9ugTCyYKIDQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=979

Zebra is a local manufacturer, among others:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tiffin+containers&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9C5iU-CDEIy9ugTCyYKIDQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=979#q=zebra+tiffin&tbm=isch

I have a few sets, and leave one at a nearby restaurant which they use and deliver.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 2

Nice of you. But to be honest, I don't like to carry a couple of Tupperware boxes with me all the time. And in every place that I buy something juicy, they always put some plastic inside the box. And then the box in a plastic bag. Kudos to you for doing good. But 99,9% will never do this

Having just read that 6.4 million tons of garbage enter the worlds oceans every year[the gaurdian uk],i salute you sir for trying to do your bit,i am so sick of the throw it away it no longer is my problem in this country,the whole place is turning into one giant refuse dump,so good on you mate if you can even make one person think about what they are doing you have won a minor victory,yet i fear until the Thai's are literally buried under the stuff,or the govt[ha,ha],comes up with some kind of education programme about litter,things are not about to change,but good on you making a stand,from little acorns great Oaks grow.

Each to their own.

I am not walking around carrying Tupperware on the off chance I buy some take away food.

It won't catch on.

Keep your western ideals in the west.

Each to their own.

I am not walking around carrying Tupperware on the off chance I buy some take away food.

It won't catch on.

Keep your western ideals in the west.

Oh Dear,

Who ever said or asked you (or me) to carry around Tupperware all day long.

Most times me (and others I know) just leave home to go buy some food or they drive in front of my place.

... and YES, if I am already out and decide to buy something "foam" box it is.

It is only when buy when already home, little effort.

Guess you are one of those people who complains about everything and the government should handle all.

Start making a difference, even how small, you might be less miserable.

Edited by ronthai
  • Like 1

Nice of you. But to be honest, I don't like to carry a couple of Tupperware boxes with me all the time. And in every place that I buy something juicy, they always put some plastic inside the box. And then the box in a plastic bag. Kudos to you for doing good. But 99,9% will never do this

Just use your cricket box instead old chap. Great for a spicy Som tam.

These are so cool, have seen some nice enameled versions also. Have seen many Thai and Burmese workers using these, early morning they buy their food at the "kau gang" places then at meal time they open them and use as communal bowls for family style, shared eating. If you bring this container to a restaurant for take away, they will just think you are unusually clever for a farang.

Personally I like the little "foam" boxes.

I take them home and dissolve them in petrol/gasoline/benzene/benzin/fuel, whatever you wish to call it.

The locals love this ingenious fuel when lighting charcoal, I feel like I am a god to them almost, they look with great awe, respect and smile, always asking me what it is.

I swap good portions of it occasionally for worn tyres and then sell the tyres on to the local go cart track.

Earns enough for a few more meals in "foam" cartons. I'm addicted to the stuff, but not as much as when my wife was pregnant and had cravings for the cartons, she ate half my stash before I had chance to dissolve it.

Had a lot of problems in them days trying to flush the toilet due to her floaters.

I respect you for doing what you do though, it's good to care and take care of your environment.

I follow vehicles carrying up to 40 Cambodian orchard workers home, after they stop at the market (not because I like following them but because there are so many). It is like raining styros as they toss them. At places where they gather in the morning to find out where they are going for they day the foam carpets the ground. So the poster who wants to collect them please come up to Ban Laem, you will need a very large truck though. Go for it OP anyway.

Just use your cricket box instead old chap. Great for a spicy Som tam.

But be sure you wash it before you play again,otherwise you could have a sizziling innings.

Who knows, maybe in time it will catch on and Thailand becomes a little bit more environment aware.

Maybe when most Thai households have a dishwasher.

I have one in my house. It works well, and they feed me three meals a day.

Oops, forgot - well done ronthai.

Edited by WitawatWatawit
  • Like 1

416cKMiVvTL._SY300_.jpg

The problem is that most people nowadays in Thailand wouldn't be seen dead walking around with one of these.

Unfortunately it's associated with the past and rural "backwardness". Unless of course there will be an "all-new" trendy LED blinking Kitty Kat-themed version... laugh.png

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Who knows, maybe in time it will catch on and Thailand becomes a little bit more environment aware.

Maybe when most Thai households have a dishwasher.

I have one in my house. It works well, and they feed me three meals a day.

Oops, forgot - well done ronthai.

That's good. Less disposable packaging. Nice... thumbsup.gif

"I have bought myself a few different sized cheap Tupperware, which are available in any larger supermarket/outlet.
I have started to bring these to the Thai restaurants for them to put my take-away food in."

Great idea but I doubt that one Thai in a thousand would do the same. Why? They are simply too lazy and too selfish.

The only answer to the senseless pollution and waste caused be excessive packaging is punitive taxation. If every styrofoam container cost 20B then many more people would carry Tupperware around with them. The same applies to plastic carrier bags in supermarkets etc.

When hot food is placed into this foam it melts it slightly and chemicals are mixed into your food. Over long periods of time this can cause cancer...You could also be hit by a bus tomorrow... coffee1.gif

Thai children, infact Thai adults (not discluding Jonny foreigners) need good a education to teach them about littering the environment, they don't know how lucky they are to live near the seaside.

Their sheer laziness annoys me, I'm tired of picking up broken bottles and sharp tin cans on the beach because of some lazy ass retard.

They need lashes with a whip as a penalty if they are caught littering, maybe it would condition then to walk a few metres and put the crap in the bin.