Step through.... to dirt bike.

AllanB

I have been looking for a cheap fun dirt bike for a while now and my choices seem to be Chinese, or very second hand bashed around Jap bike. As even if I had it I really don't wanna spend 100k.

Well a third option has come to mind, converting a Jap step through into a dirt bike, specifically a 125cc 4 stroke. I saw one a couple of years ago in a village workshop and the guy who built it managed to find nearly all the parts and was selling the converted 100cc Honda for 20000 baht. I thought about it for a while but it was too small and cramped for me and badly put together. The parts seemed pretty good though and he had obviously managed to buy and build the bike for less that 20k.

So I was wondering if anyone had built one, I am pretty sure I can get a scruffy 125cc Honda for about 10-15k and then suspension, wheels/tyres and mudguards are available and have a go at building one this winter.

Any tips would be appreciated too.

I was riding a honda sonic rs in koh phangan for a while which was converted into a cross bike. It was veey hand and that 125 cc engine was zippy and revvy.

Also tiger has a model this way.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Go for it. Half the fun is in the building.

Just putting knobbies on will improve offroad travel lots.

Change fork oil to make it more stiff - ATF is around 5 weight, but try 10W engine oil too if 5W is not enuf.

Make sure spokes are tight and wheels run true.

You won't be going thru large moguls, but will still be fun.

Just be aware - knobby tires and wet asphalt make for a slippery road surface, as do a nice hot polished road.

I just thought the tank may be a problem, but maybe get something off and old bike and make it fit, so that will mean a crossbar, or whatever it is called on a motorbike.

I will take a look at a Sonic, there is bound to be one in one of the second hand yards, hopefully I can alter the handlebars are get a better riding position, looks like a couple of simple brackets.

Or maybe do something like this.

post-103189-0-45104800-1398992451_thumb.

Even better.....http://www.weekendhobby.com/enduro/webboard/shtml/2604.shtml

Edited by AllanB