Bangkok concerned about state of Lumpini Park's ecosystem: PDRC occupation

I would suggest that living next to Mapthaput is probably more dangerous by a large degree. You ever seen the storm drains pumping rubbish into the sea in the resort?

And people still swim happily there. They will clean Lumpini up in a couple of weeks and within a month or two it will be fine.

Dumping chemicals or cooking fuel? Every restaurant in the country sluices its basic waste straight in the drain every day. In this sun and heat, bacteria will degrade the waste very fast.

You talk as though it is some sort of biohazard tip. You walk the streets of bangkok every day. You think the average sewer is all in good order?

I don't think anyone has made the claim that the current conditions in Lumpini are the worst in the country.

By pointing out other locations that are worse and using those locations as a baseline on why no one should be concerned about Lumpini is an upside down philosophy.

It is setting the bar at the lowest point possible rather than raising the bar to the standards that were always maintained at Lumpini.

Lumpini has been successfully managed for decades, it has been a lone gem floating in the cesspool which is BKK. In the last 6 months, environmental conditions at Lumpini have deteriorated significantly and all the people who used to enjoy their mornings/evenings at Lumpini have suffered and been displaced. I don't know if you ever spend time there but it is typically filled with people of all ages--little kids on tricycles all the way to ancients in wheelchairs.

Thats the focus of this thread. Its not how no one should worry about Lumpini because it has room to get worse.

I was one of those people who ran every morning at Lumpini for a couple of years and I will be very happy for monsoons to wash those protesters out.

Cheers

Amen brother! I have a feeling these guys wrk for the local oil companies from a previous post mentioning dispursements. It was me and my colleagues that were called in time and time again to clean up their messes. Their attitude has always been an irresponsible one in my experience. This blase (sorry if it is mispelled) attitude is typical practice of them and their companies. They get paid a lot of money to use their credentials to say it is okay. I turned down the BIG offers from Exxon and others because I would not be able to live with myself. These are part of the 3% of scientists in the world that also deny climate change. I used my education and credential to actually help everyone, not just my wallet. I personally saw the aftermath of teh BP spill, the after math that we are still dealing with today regardless of what these guys tell you. If anyone challenges me, look it up in google. Totally irresponsible. Moreover, this tactic of, "hey fella' look over there", is a typical and just ridiculous tactic that is common place from their employers. And to say BKK is a s***hole anyways, well, way to strive for a better tomorrow. How about educating the public and initiating programs and legislation that will help clean up the whole place? Regardless, this was my only sanctuary in BKK and we need to protect it fro everyone. Funny thing is, BKK's scientists are worried about and they say there is nothing to worry about and then argue with me about monitoring it. The only people who would do that are people with something to hide. They and their comments are illegit at best, if not an out and out lie.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, while the City- if not the entire country- goes down the drain, with hundreds of dead and injured people, as many guns, rifles and grenades on the streets that would fit a war zone, a non existing government, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) calls for awareness for some fish in a pond. And these officials probably believe to have an eye for the essentials.facepalm.gif

Do you live in Bangkok? In a sprawling, tightly packed city with minimal trees or green spaces, Lumpini Park is an essential. Environmental issues aside, quality of life for residents has definitely been adversely affected by the occupation of what is essentially Bangkok's "central park".

Isnt it a little late for tree hugging in a completely miss planned, messed up metropolitan area?

I dont see the point why they focus on their little green lung of the city, instead of solving the problems which are messing up the city in the first place. Unless it's too much work for the guys in charge, shouldn't that be the priority?

Might be beyond your abilities, but it is possible to walk and chew gum at the same time.

• Like 1

Let's please stay on the topic. There are a lot of threads for comments on the politics of the situation. This one is more about the park itself.

Some years ago, I worked in an area on the outskirts of Bangkok that was still developing. There was a lovely area between two small sois that had some large beautiful trees. Several food vendors set up small venues. It became rather popular with some of the foreign staff who liked to stop and have a few beers in the shade and perhaps have a meal. The problem was that all of the water used for cooking, cleaning was dumped on the ground. There is a lot of salt in the water. Within a year the trees began to die. The last time I was by the area, there was not a single live tree there.

maybe not only the water but also the cooking oil which even when separated still leaves traces in the dirty dish washing water. This being a 'wateringhole' probably also used for 'urinals' and untreated faecalien ?

ADD: at least the BMA supports protesters (of any colour) with sanitary facilities.

No it was not used as a toilet. It was flanked by low rise housing and the area had a number of vendor -- not crowded, but certainly no privacy for taking a wee. Across the street was a vacant lot, a swamp where guys went to relieve themselves. Eventually, they did get a port-a-potty in the area.

The damage was done by just dumping used water, cooking oil etc., Sadly, none of the venders were more than a few steps from a road with a drain, but everything was dumped on the ground. Those were fully mature and beautiful trees and it was such a lovely area. With even a tiny bit of care, it had a lot of potential. It was miniature park and even on the hottest days, the shade made it so wonderful. Other than the traffic on the main road, it was also reasonably quiet.

I hope Lumpini doesn't end up the same way. It would be a great loss.

• Like 1

I would suggest that living next to Mapthaput is probably more dangerous by a large degree. You ever seen the storm drains pumping rubbish into the sea in the resort?

And people still swim happily there. They will clean Lumpini up in a couple of weeks and within a month or two it will be fine.

Dumping chemicals or cooking fuel? Every restaurant in the country sluices its basic waste straight in the drain every day. In this sun and heat, bacteria will degrade the waste very fast.

You talk as though it is some sort of biohazard tip. You walk the streets of bangkok every day. You think the average sewer is all in good order?

I don't think anyone has made the claim that the current conditions in Lumpini are the worst in the country.

By pointing out other locations that are worse and using those locations as a baseline on why no one should be concerned about Lumpini is an upside down philosophy.

It is setting the bar at the lowest point possible rather than raising the bar to the standards that were always maintained at Lumpini.

Lumpini has been successfully managed for decades, it has been a lone gem floating in the cesspool which is BKK. In the last 6 months, environmental conditions at Lumpini have deteriorated significantly and all the people who used to enjoy their mornings/evenings at Lumpini have suffered and been displaced. I don't know if you ever spend time there but it is typically filled with people of all ages--little kids on tricycles all the way to ancients in wheelchairs.

Thats the focus of this thread. Its not how no one should worry about Lumpini because it has room to get worse.

I was one of those people who ran every morning at Lumpini for a couple of years and I will be very happy for monsoons to wash those protesters out.

Cheers

Some up top were claiming that the runnoff could.contaminate tap water and that they should be sampling soil for chemical waste!!!!!

It will recover in double quick time just watch. Its the tropics. Stuff grows.

Some up top were claiming that the runnoff could.contaminate tap water and that they should be sampling soil for chemical waste!!!!!

It will recover in double quick time just watch. Its the tropics. Stuff grows.

Oh...OK.

I always look forward to monsoons but this year even more since Lumpini will be returned to all of BKK and it will be a great learning experience for me to see just how quickly the vegetation recovers in the tropics.

Sooner the bette ron all counts ;-)

Guess who was called last night to be honored for his work in the US...you guessed it, markro prick prong(I think I got your name right)...me. I am being honored for my work reclaiming old mine sites to their natural state . My name will permantly be displayed in the hallowed halls of newest science building and museum of one of the best geology programs in the US. Thanks Dr. L. I appreciate the call last night.

Edited by geoman1976

Interesting, while the City- if not the entire country- goes down the drain, with hundreds of dead and injured people, as many guns, rifles and grenades on the streets that would fit a war zone, a non existing government, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) calls for awareness for some fish in a pond. And these officials probably believe to have an eye for the essentials.facepalm.gif

Do you live in Bangkok? In a sprawling, tightly packed city with minimal trees or green spaces, Lumpini Park is an essential. Environmental issues aside, quality of life for residents has definitely been adversely affected by the occupation of what is essentially Bangkok's "central park".

Agree with Dluek, My friend booked a hotel near Lumpini for his upcoming visit and I thought bad choice. What is normally an asset in regards to BKK has become a place to avoid.

Isn’t it a little late for tree hugging in a completely miss planned, messed up metropolitan area?

I don’t see the point why they focus on their little “green lung” of the city, instead of solving the problems which are messing up the city in the first place. Unless it's too much work for the guys in charge, shouldn't that be the priority?

you are not worth answering

• Like 1

Guess who was called last night to be honored for his work in the US...you guessed it, markro prick prong(I think I got your name right)...me. I am being honored for my work reclaiming old mine sites to their natural state . My name will permantly be displayed in the hallowed halls of newest science building and museum of one of the best geology programs in the US. Thanks Dr. L. I appreciate the call last night.

I hope you stay there.

Agree with Dluek, My friend booked a hotel near Lumpini for his upcoming visit and I thought bad choice. What is normally an asset in regards to BKK has become a place to avoid.

Any special reason why your friend booked a hotel near Lumpini? He comes to Bangkok to visit a park?