second hand books wanted

tanyunleiamanda

I doubt you'll have much luck at that price. Seems the used English book market is fairly limited in Bangkok. I go to Dasa.

If they don't have something I'm aching for I hit Kinokuniya. All new books and pricey, but a great store.

If you find a cheaper used books store please post the details.

Try in the temple grounds behind Wat Chanasongkhram near Khao San Road (off Soi Rambutri to be more precise, through the snicket opposite the road to Pra Arthit) The old dear who ran it (RIP) tended to get a decent selection of books which she sold at a decent price. Somehow she nearly always had some Wodehouse.Her son now runs it and sells at fair prices plus always rings me when he gets PGW books in)

Indeed-several palces around KSR-and even 1 on that road-Shaman BOoks-every now and then they put those they could not sell in 5-6 yrs for free-do not expect too much.

Also a fairly decent shop on soi Rambuttri-beside temple, it has stalls with fairly new magazines in front-inside there are boxes for 100 bt books-if you have any decent to give, they may swap. They give back 50% of price for most books if returned in 3-4 month.

Would have been helpful if you had indicated what type of books-most of the real cheap stuff is US-detectives. The free books are often in Swedish, Finnish, Czech or so-probably also not that much use for you.

I doubt you'll have much luck at that price. Seems the used English book market is fairly limited in Bangkok. I go to Dasa.

If they don't have something I'm aching for I hit Kinokuniya. All new books and pricey, but a great store.

Kinokuniya also holds a clearing sale once or twice a year, very low prices and decent selection earlier on.

I think it's possible to get exact dates (goes on for a few days) from their newsletter or email (staff is kinda useless there).

There are a bunch of second hand bookshops at the corner of the Weekend Market, behind the MRT station. Takes a while to dig around, and some haggling, not sure prices are much different compared with KSR though.

Take a trip to Chiang Mai - tons of great second hand bookstores on every imaginable topic, but for under 100 baht, mostly paperback novels.

Maybe try to arrange an "English book exchange" here on TV. Members can meet up somewhere on a weekend and bring their old books to trade with others, even up. Of course, this plan is dependent on finding enough TV members that read.....tongue.png

In a few years time eBook files can be corrupted, devices can become obsolete or inoperative. They are costly and require power sources. There are books hundreds of years old in collections around the world. Still work fine. Interesting things they are, books.

I have 75 English language books, mostly novels, that I could get rid of at a reasonable price for the lot to clear some space. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send the list, collection from Bangna area.

• 4 months later...

In a few years time eBook files can be corrupted, devices can become obsolete or inoperative. They are costly and require power sources. There are books hundreds of years old in collections around the world. Still work fine. Interesting things they are, books.

Off Topic,

If your gonna be silly,

Real books can burn your house down, rot, damp, mildew, silverfish, termites and contain fungus spores.

I used to have 2,000+ books, took up a large room in my house, now those books fit on a thumb drive.

Which would I rather keep in my house?

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Hi,

I have around 1000 books for sale, all English, a mix or crime, thriller , action etc, I am selling for between 50 and 70 Baht each, all in good condition.

I also have some romance books for 25 baht each.

Anyone can call me on 0863631458 to arrange to come and look.

Thanks, Luke

----------

Any collections of short stories by Saki?

Or science fiction stories such as Analog or Amazing Stories ?

Harlan Ellison was a hero of mine back many years ago.

Would love to find a reasonable condition copy of "Let Us Now Praise Famous Men" by James Agee.

Or the classic "hippie" books, "Trout Fishing in America", or "In Watermelon Sugar", or "A Confederate General from Big Sur".

Don't expect to find them though.

P.S. "In Watermelon Sugar" can probably found on the net.... but you'll have to do a lot of hard searching/

Hi, I still have a lot of books.
I have around 1000 books for sale, all English, a mix or crime, thriller , action etc, I am selling for between 50 and 70 Baht each, all in good condition.
I also have some romance books for 25 baht each.
Anyone can call me on <deleted> to arrange to come and look.
Thanks, Luke

• 9 months later...

There's a really nice used book story on Sukumivit. I think it's soi 33. Near Villa Market, Sunrise Taco. Odd number side. Asia used books. Lots to choose from at decent prices.

The lady that owns the shop also buys books, but at a low price as she has lots of stock already.