Growning season for annual vegetables

In my home country most packages of seeds would include and recommendation when to plant and harvest the veggie that I'm planting. None of the seeds I've bought have that, so I'm in the dark as to the planting seasons here in Northern Thailand (Lamphun province).

Has anyone compiled a list of planting times for vegetables here Thailand, specifically in the North.

I have had good luck with seven different kinds of lettuce. The seeds are from the US and I plant them in little cups, then transplant them to other cups and finally transplant them to the garden. I have raised beds and use compost (make my own) vermiculite, peat moss, rise hulls, and a bit of pig manure.

I have been planting all year and just have to water and then harvest the lettuce. It finally goes to seed but takes about one and a half months.

Good luck!

I have had good luck with seven different kinds of lettuce. The seeds are from the US and I plant them in little cups, then transplant them to other cups and finally transplant them to the garden. I have raised beds and use compost (make my own) vermiculite, peat moss, rise hulls, and a bit of pig manure.

I have been planting all year and just have to water and then harvest the lettuce. It finally goes to seed but takes about one and a half months.

Good luck!

Peat most? Maybe you mean coconut peat?

The best tomato plant we have appeared by magic in the flower garden. No fertiliser, no spraying, no shading. I try to collect seeds of stuff that works.

• Like 1

Hi,

Same I don't know but I found It's hit and miss, did ok sometimes at various times of the year and very little info available.

I'm in Lamphun what Amphur are you?

Near Doi Khuntan in Lamphun province.

To grow the traditional types of European veggies - grow them in winter in the tropics. The wet season plus heat will kill them otherwise usually. So as a very rough guide start planting in September/October or even late August depending on the weather

Winter in the tropics? When does that happen? There are many mysterious things that you come up against here - some veg. needs long nights/long days to do its stuff. European onions won't grow here due to the day length problem (found out the hard way). Thai veg seems to come to maturity quickly, thus avoiding disease, giving it another taste of course. European lettuce won't germinate at temperatures above 22 - 23°C.. potatoes just sit there and sulk. Garden peas don't like the heat..

Another reason you won't see indications of sowing times is that Thailand has a vast variety of climate zones and soil types, What is good for Chiang Mai isn't good for Buriram or the South.

Maybe you should concentrate more on improving your soil and then just bung stuff in that takes your fancy, I can't give you advice from here in Buriram, I guess everyone finds out for themselves, which for me is part of the charm of gardening here.

Winter in the tropics? When does that happen? There are many mysterious things that you come up against here - some veg. needs long nights/long days to do its stuff. European onions won't grow here due to the day length problem (found out the hard way). Thai veg seems to come to maturity quickly, thus avoiding disease, giving it another taste of course. European lettuce won't germinate at temperatures above 22 - 23°C.. potatoes just sit there and sulk. Garden peas don't like the heat..

Another reason you won't see indications of sowing times is that Thailand has a vast variety of climate zones and soil types, What is good for Chiang Mai isn't good for Buriram or the South.

Maybe you should concentrate more on improving your soil and then just bung stuff in that takes your fancy, I can't give you advice from here in Buriram, I guess everyone finds out for themselves, which for me is part of the charm of gardening here.

I figure that if I can find it in the local market (Amphur), then I can probably grow it. I've just got to figure out when to plant things.

We have plenty of stuff in our local market that you can't grow here. I despaired initially at the lack of choice of seeds in the stores until I realised that they weren't in demand locally, they won't grow. I repeat: there is no correct season for planting most things, the beginning of the rainy season is a good time, I love pepper but the soil isn't suitable here although I have managed to make one grow. I imagine that you haven't latched on to the fact that you are now in the tropics, and I don't mean that in an insulting way, I went through the same process. I planted beans at Christmas, onions in October, plant cucumbers and beans every few weeks throughout the year.

I figure that if I can find it in the local market (Amphur), then I can probably grow it. I've just got to figure out when to plant things.

A lot of veg that you find in the local market is not grown locally and much of it is imported.