Buy/lease a small beach plot for building a small bungalow.

Hello,

Have anyone here bought/leased a beach plot in Phangan/Samui? what are the purchase/lease prices for 100sqm beachfront plot in the various beaches Of Phangan & Samui?

I can't seem to find an answer to this question, can only find huge land for investment and I simply wish to build a small beachfront bungalow on it so 100sqm is more than enough.

Thx!

because mainland is not Samui/Phangan

If you want a 100m² piece of beach land, you have to buy the rest too. Don't know every m² next to beaches, but would say there isn't such a small piece of land at all.

What would a local have done with such a small land? Grow 3 palm trees? They were farmers and fishermen.

Edited by Birdman

Yup, it should be Samui/Phangan.

So where can I find those people who bought the whole beach area for investment and subdivide it for the simple people who just want a small bungalow on the beach?

How on earth is it possible to have such a childish dream ( sorry no offence) wai.gif

That is to say you want a land in Samui, with a 10 meters beach front with only 10 meters depth 10X10=100 ...

...HELP! Do you realise? And behind your 10 meters the land will be sold without beach front ?

Maybe you could find (maybe said I) a 10 centimetres beach front on 1 kilometre long = 100 sqm... OK I am joking!

Not many time am I ironical with people, so hopping you'll forgive mesmile.png here is a link for a 20 meter beach front for only 2,500.000 Bahts, of course not in samui whistling.gif but not far! So it gives you an idea ... and other links

http://www.bahtsold.com/view/20-meter-beachfront-land-sichon-145964

in KOH-PHANGAN

http://www.bahtsold.com/view/very-nice-plot-on-the-beach-in-koh-phangan--168884

Edited by Tchooptip

because mainland is not Samui/Phangan

If you want a 100m² piece of beach land, you have to buy the rest too. Don't know every m² next to beaches, but would say there isn't such a small piece of land at all.

What would a local have done with such a small land? Grow 3 palm trees? They were farmers and fishermen.

I would say its not impossible, cause much of the former big land got split alot already in the last years, i.e. when parents gave it to their children or because only some part got sold or maybe they build a house but there is still space left.

I was lucky and got such a really small plot, but also I would say its really hard to find. Sorry I cannot help in finding another one.

...HELP! Do you realise? And behind your 10 meters the land will be sold without beach front ?

Maybe behind the small plot it not more land but the road.

if there is a street behind a chanote which is 10 meters wide between the beach and this street, and if that street would be Ring Road, her tranquilizing tropical dreams of breezes, colours, sounds and smells of the sea and peace would turn in reality into breezes, colours, sounds and smells of a petrol station on a highway plus people asking for first aid kids, medical support, plus people parking, walking and driving to the beach daily, all the time.

Maybe behind the small plot it not more land but the road.

if there is a street behind a chanote which is 10 meters wide between the beach and this street, and if that street would be Ring Road, her tranquilizing tropical dreams of breezes, colours, sounds and smells of the sea and peace would turn in reality into breezes, colours, sounds and smells of a petrol station on a highway plus people asking for first aid kids, medical support, plus people parking, walking and driving to the beach daily, all the time.

clap2.gif I can foresee the scene biggrin.png biggrin.png

As indicated by others, finding a small plot on the beach is nearly impossible, because it would dramatically devalue the land directy behind that plot. The only suitable place would be where the main ring road runs very close to the beach, like in areas of Bang Po. But then you have another problem, and that is that the building needs to be at least 10 meters away from the high water line. A further restriction to building close to the beach, is that 75% of the area needs to stay open. So for a small bungalow say 50 square meter, you would already need 200 m2 land. Pure beach front you are looking at 40 million per rai (1600 m2) at the north side of Samui. For a plot that small, expect to pay a premium of 100%, so don't be surprised that if you find something suitable the seller will ask around 10 million Baht for a tiny 200 m2 plot....

How on earth is it possible to have such a childish dream ( sorry no offence) wai.gif

That is to say you want a land in Samui, with a 10 meters beach front with only 10 meters depth 10X10=100 ...

Maybe you could find (maybe said I) a 10 centimetres beach front on 1 kilometre long = 100 sqm... OK I am joking!

Not many time am I ironical with people, so hopping you'll forgive mesmile.png here is a link for a 20 meter beach front for only 2,500.000 Bahts, of course not in samui whistling.gif but not far! So it gives you an idea ... and other links

http://www.bahtsold.com/view/20-meter-beachfront-land-sichon-145964

in KOH-PHANGAN

http://www.bahtsold.com/view/very-nice-plot-on-the-beach-in-koh-phangan--168884

OK I forget this one in Samui, a little less than 3 rai for 75,000,000 that it to say a little more 25,000,000 Bahts one rai xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png

http://www.bahtsold.com/view/beachfront-land-172155?doqs=1clap2.gif clap2.gif

I think, she is a young Farang, and she's a dreamer, does not know, Samui/KPG are, together with Bangkok and Phuket, the most expensive real estates places in Thailand, that she cannot buy land, no idea about Chanote, Nor Sor 3 Gor, etc and that she is 30 years too late to fulfill that dream of a simple hippie hut on a beach, which costs almost nothing, guitars, bongos, campfire, peace, Joni Mitchell and beautiful people......that makes me sad too

Talk to some of the smaller resorts and take out a long lease on a bungalow. Make sure that the resort owns the land.

If the land is leased by the resort - walk away. You will not be covered by the head lease.

I would guess that KP is a better place to try this one.

• Like 1

What a bunch of buzzkills. I love the concept of "interim land use". Someone sitting on a plot of land, not expecting to sell or develop it for decades, may rent out any portion of it for peanuts.

That's how most golf driving ranges and Christmas tree lots and landscaping yards and swap meets in the USA spring up. If they had to pay market price to lease the land, they'd be unprofitable. So they look for a plot of land that's been zoned for development that won't happen for years and years, and they make a deal with the investor- to whom any income is better than none. Otherwise, he's just (happily) sitting on idle land- waiting for it to appreciate, or for the urban sprawl to catch up with it.

My suggestion- find one of those big plots of land that looks like it's not scheduled for development for a long time, and offer the owner a lease that runs until he plans to do something with it.

Is it a risk? Yep. Would I build a zillion dollar mansion that I can't afford to walk away from? Nope. Would it be a great way to enjoy a few years living on the beach in a cheap bungalow? I think so. And before it's over, take the time to scout for the next interim chunk of land.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And let's face it, about the time the beach right there is ready for development- it's time to move on anyway- from the crowds and the stench of unbridled development.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

What a bunch of buzzkills. I love the concept of "interim land use". Someone sitting on a plot of land, not expecting to sell or develop it for decades, may rent out any portion of it for peanuts.

That's how most golf driving ranges and Christmas tree lots and landscaping yards and swap meets in the USA spring up. If they had to pay market price to lease the land, they'd be unprofitable. So they look for a plot of land that's been zoned for development that won't happen for years and years, and they make a deal with the investor- to whom any income is better than none. Otherwise, he's just (happily) sitting on idle land- waiting for it to appreciate, or for the urban sprawl to catch up with it.

My suggestion- find one of those big plots of land that looks like it's not scheduled for development for a long time, and offer the owner a lease that runs until he plans to do something with it.

Is it a risk? Yep. Would I build a zillion dollar mansion that I can't afford to walk away from? Nope. Would it be a great way to enjoy a few years living on the beach in a cheap bungalow? I think so. And before it's over, take the time to scout for the next interim chunk of land.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And let's face it, about the time the beach right there is ready for development- it's time to move on anyway- from the crowds and the stench of unbridled development.

Great concept on paper but in reality a no go...

Thais will not just take a little income as it's better than no income. They will sit on that 12 rai that belonged to their Grandad until some schmuk is willing to pay the same as the next door neighbor got.

Can you imagine the loss of face if people knew they were renting a little bit cheap to a farang :)

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thank you all for your reply.

I am actually a 30 years old man :) don't know where the girl thing came from but who cares? as long as some wonderful insights came from this post I'm cool with it lol :)

Anyway I have lived all over South East Asia for the past 5 years (including remote places in Myanmar, Vietnam etc.) and most of the things I tried to do, and ultimately did, also looked impossible/not workable for many but i truly beleive that if there is a will, there is a way :)

Ofcours there are issues that must be learned and addressed and I am very happy to learn more from you all on stuff I missed out.

Couple of important points are:

1. While there are places I can find the 100sqm plot, I would probably have to go up to 200sqm (10x20) or maybe up to 400sqm in order to keep the owner happy and keep the variety wider.

I have no need for 1 Rai+, it's a waste of land that someone else can enjoy from so if needed, I would just have to look more.

2. Best idea : Going to beach resorts and lease a small plot from them for the exact size I need and not more/even lease an existing bungalow and re-do it all over, that is an amazing idea Tropicalevo, thank you very much for that!

Thank you all for your help!

• Like 1

Maybe because you use a cute little girl name? Change it to something manly, like mary.

Hi all,

I am actually a 30 years old man smile.png don't know where the girl thing came from but who cares? as long as some wonderful insights came from this post I'm cool with it lol smile.png

Anyway I have lived all over South East Asia for the past 5 years (including remote places in Myanmar, Vietnam etc.) and most of the things I tried to do, and ultimately did, also looked impossible/not workable for many but i truly beleive that if there is a will, there is a way smile.png

Ofcours there are issues that must be learned and addressed and I am very happy to learn more from you all on stuff I missed out.

1. While there are places I can find the 100sqm plot, I would probably have to go up to 200sqm (10x20) or maybe up to 400sqm in order to keep the owner happy and keep the variety wider.

I have no need for 1 Rai+, it's a waste of land that someone else can enjoy from so if needed, I would just have to look more.

2. Best idea : Going to beach resorts and lease a small plot from them for the exact size I need and not more/even lease an existing bungalow and re-do it all over, that is an amazing idea Tropicalevo, thank you very much for that!

If you really are that lucky and you can find that land to rent for a price you want, next headaches will come to find a reliable construction team, the prices for constructions, the delays, prices for construction again, things like electricity, do you want electricity? yes, so that hut needs official registration, a job for the land owner, who now also has to pay taxes for renting the hut, if far away pillars are needed and long and strong all weather cables, not cheap. And water? a well or rainwater or no water? and....

The best thing would be to look around at small and simple bungalow resorts on nice beaches and speak with the owner, if he would rent a beach bungalow to you long term. I would say it should cost something between 8.000 and 20.000 per month, if you pay 1 year in advance.

Edited by Birdman

I tend to agree with Birdman ... although a few others too....thumbsup.gif

This will not be easy on Samui or KP ...

Hmmm Ban Po? .... actually more popular than most people imagine, one of Samui's secret and popular areas to be away from the crowds... it can be hard to find long term places along there... even short term sometimes! Many places there already full with long termers, ....going by people I know who live there...

OP only 30 years old, which means doing a Visa run that will cost roughly 6000 baht a month or is it three months ? (not sure on that... but needs to be factored in) .... no guarantee they will issue continual renewals from what I understand, .... unless has work permit and all that, involves... wink.png

Annual high tides, can be a hazard with some beach front property too.... there needs to be a lot of questions asked.... and not necessarily someone renting or selling the property... wink.png

If it were me, I would spend some time looking at options and places to consider....before getting in to far and parting with money!.... You will also need a good lawyer, to form a company, for land and house...if you do find somewhere to buy, as a "farang" you cannot own land! (assuming you are not Thai!.... now we know you not a lady! biggrin.pngtongue.png )

Good luck! wink.pngfacepalm.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

Hi all,

I am actually a 30 years old man smile.png don't know where the girl thing came from but who cares? as long as some wonderful insights came from this post I'm cool with it lol smile.png

Anyway I have lived all over South East Asia for the past 5 years (including remote places in Myanmar, Vietnam etc.) and most of the things I tried to do, and ultimately did, also looked impossible/not workable for many but i truly beleive that if there is a will, there is a way smile.png

A friend of mine is in the process of doing this right now. The owners have several bungalows, but space for more. At the present the only stumbling block is the length of the lease. He wants 30 yrs outright, they want 3x 10 yrs. Maybe it can be sorted.

• Like 2

Hi all,

A friend of mine is in the process of doing this right now. The owners have several bungalows, but space for more. At the present the only stumbling block is the length of the lease. He wants 30 yrs outright, they want 3x 10 yrs. Maybe it can be sorted.

A small piece of advice on a lease - it is only valid for the person/people that are written into it.

If you want to leave your 'little piece of paradise' to anyone, they have to have their name on the lease and also co-sign it.

Good luckthumbsup.gif