How to get my deposit back?

Hal65

Hi, I am currently in Bangkok looking for a cheap apartment for a 6 month lease. I have been told landlords typically do NOT return deposits to foreigners. If this is a common scam, what steps can I take to get back my deposit?

The easiest way is to buy an old Lamborghini, hire a scientist to transform that into a garbage burning time machine, and then fly back and kill your own grandfather..... thus stopping your earlier self from giving a deposit in the first place.

Unfortunately, your history will be also wiped out and you will fade into non-existance.

I am afraid there is no other way even remotely possible.

One option is, to give the case to a lawyer, isn't it?

Thats a great way to atleast DOUBLE the loss!

If you have a valid lease agreement and the landlord don't have any claims against you, why you should not get your money back?

• Like 1

I have always had my deposit returned from all previous landlords (3)...best advice is to rent somewhere recommended by a friend and remember to be polite to the landlord throughout your tenancy.

• Like 2

If you have a valid lease agreement and the landlord don't have any claims against you, why you should not get your money back?

Duh!! welcome to Thailand.

You have to pay the lawyer. That's money lost.

I have always gotten my room deposit back without problem.

I was also never more than 2 month's rent. Currently 1 month's rent.

Mate don't believe the <deleted> you read on here would be a good start.

If it is an apartment block you move into rather than a condo you are dealing with a landlord who owns the entire building.

Your 5 or 6k deposit is neither here nor there to him.

Find out the rules...........your get things like drilling a hole in the wall with have a charge when you leave.

Any damage like that they have to repair they will charge you and rightly so.

Most people who claim to lose their deposit forget to tell you they burned a hole in the guys sofa or pi$$ed the bed.

In cheap condos around the 3k mark they will play 100% fair if you do the same. Thai people on a whole are very good hearted when they get to know you.

It's a bit of a no brainer that if a tenant uses up his security deposit the landlord has then go no security should you cause any damage.

using up your security deposit is the same as not paying your rent and they have the right to charge you.

What most Thai landlord will do if they think you are being a smart a$$ is lock you out keep all your belongings until you pay.

My advice is talk to some tenants who know the people running the place and they will soon tell you if they are ok or not.

• Like 2

Say you pay two months deposit it means, that the last two months of the stay is being not paid. Keep paying for utilities and things but not for the rent. On leaving you may leave an average of your utilities and a phone number. If you call them a month later and they say "ok" then the utilities were less, otherwise pay up the minor difference against presentation of utility bills.
Worked fine for me over the last 29 years; landlords do not like it but in one case I rented from the same guys again and they loved it. We're not into cheating but whoever wants something from someone else is lost. So make sure that everybody wants something from you without misusing the situation ;-)

The last 2 apartments that I rented I got my deposit back, minus some small expenses.

Don't confuse folks here at the Farang Fantasy Factory with any real examples that don't support their prejudices.

Undoubtedly getting a deposit back can be a trial. I know the few times I rented many years ago in the US it was never easy or quick to get. But based on my few experiences I would not feel qualified to start spouting about MOST CASES or make other generalities for which I couldn't possibly have sufficient information.

I always got my deposits back in farang land and NEVER EVER in Thailand. They just hate foreigners love to scam them.. or maybe its is because I am not renting.. not sure biggrin.png

The last 2 apartments that I rented I got my deposit back, minus some small expenses.

Pretty well every job I've ever done in Thailand has been for Thais and I have been paid every time, no exception. That is a LOT of times.

I've never had a problem getting the deposit back. Or just not paying the last month rent, which the landlord suggested.

Maybe in touristy areas they are more likely to scam, but in the normal apartment blocks with mainly Thai tenants, I have never had a problem. In fact they always love me and are sad to see me go, because unlike some tenants I always pay on time, I'm quiet and don't play karaoke at 3am, and I love the air con so I always have the highest electricity bill in the building (apartments make a profit on electricity as they charge above the real rate)

• Like 1

The easiest way is to buy an old Lamborghini, hire a scientist to transform that into a garbage burning time machine, and then fly back and kill your own grandfather..... thus stopping your earlier self from giving a deposit in the first place.

Unfortunately, your history will be also wiped out and you will fade into non-existance.

I am afraid there is no other way even remotely possible.

DeLorean

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

Don't confuse folks here at the Farang Fantasy Factory with any real examples that don't support their prejudices.

Undoubtedly getting a deposit back can be a trial. I know the few times I rented many years ago in the US it was never easy or quick to get. But based on my few experiences I would not feel qualified to start spouting about MOST CASES or make other generalities for which I couldn't possibly have sufficient information.

Please go back to the Totally Worthless <deleted> division and make sure to get hurt along the way.

Make sure you have a rental agreement.

We've always gotten our deposits back. Either they've returned it straight out. Or they've let us run down the last month in rent.

Our last place before this one, our land lord even offered to buy some furniture off us which we didn't want to continue using at her place.

I've got my deposit back in full and within reasonable time from all landlords I have rented from here in Thailand. The same experiences had the other farangs in the companies I worked for.

Sorry to read others have different experiences.

• Like 1

i have never paid deposit and never got skammed.... been here xx years. only renting. no thai wife/gf.

charm vs jai dee vs common sense vs meeting right people...................................................................................................

• Like 1