Not a computer guy, what is the process/programming that tells your computer your location

Smurkster

The ads are usually based on your surfing history. Every time I search Agoda for a specific town, I see Google ads for that town for the next few weeks. They start within minutes. Same with other sites I visit. If I check hostgator hosting, then Google shows me Hostgator ads. Might be IP based sometimes, bt I think it's mostly targeted at you personally.

I'm sure that's true to an extent but there's more than that going on. As long as I have been surfing TV I've been getting ads for ThaiLoveLinks and other match sites even though I've never visited them (no, really). Some program knows that I'm a male expat and figures I might want to get laid (I always want to get laid, but not screwed). Recently I searched for a new camera lens and got ads for lenses for at least a week, so that's the type of targeting you're talking about. Very clever those internet marketing people.

The lesson here is: don't use the internet if you're trying learn how to commit the perfect murder.