One killed, 3 wounded in Cambodia old mine explosion

geovalin

PHNOM PENH — One man was killed and three others seriously injured after a truck, carrying a heavy load of roof tiles, ran onto an old anti-tank mine in eastern Tboung Khmum province, local police chief confirmed Saturday.

The accident occurred at a rural path in Memot district when the truck moved onto the mine on Friday afternoon, Eng Penghak, police chief of Memot district, said.

"A conductor was killed immediately as a driver was critically injured and two other workers were slightly hurt," he said.

Cambodia is a known country for these hidden mines as the result of three decades of war and internal conflicts from the mid-1960s to 1998.

According to a government report, from 1979 to March 2014, landmines and unexploded ordnance had killed 19,693 people and injured or amputated 44,681 others.

The country is seeking around 50 million U.S. dollars a year until 2020 to entirely get rid of all types of anti-personnel mines, according to Heng Ratana, director general of the Cambodian Mine Action Center.

https://www.authintmail.com/article/asia/one-killed-3-wounded-cambodia-old-mine-explosion

(unknown rare Sunday source but story looks true)