Anybody else missing their monthly U.S. Social Security direct deposit at Bankok Bank?

buddhaland

#48 Kondiao:

Type all security questions with answers for each and every institution especially Government and credit card companies, then email them to yourself. These are then available anywhere anytime.

Just don't forget your email password(s), which you can also email to yourself multiple times, such that at least one may spring to mind. Works for me, especially two summers ago when in the land of the really really really big deficit, I could not remember my log-in details.

It seems you have tremendous confidence in the security of email in the land of the really truly, gigantic GDP, and elsewhere!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have 2 Bangkok Bank accounts, one with an ATM card and one without, can't you just do an online transfer from one account to the other and avoid a trip to the bank?

Grin

#48 Kondiao:

Type all security questions with answers for each and every institution especially Government and credit card companies, then email them to yourself. These are then available anywhere anytime.

Just don't forget your email password(s), which you can also email to yourself multiple times, such that at least one may spring to mind. Works for me, especially two summers ago when in the land of the really really really big deficit, I could not remember my log-in details.

I don't know what you are on about. Whatever it is you are trying to say, it does not relate to my post - #48.

To those who are claiming today that they have to go to the bank to do financial transactions or use two banks and one ATM card - did you not read all the info that was posted yesterday - by me and others - about how to get your check from the U.S. negotiated? In summary you have D,D.'s to a U.S. bank, like Wells Fargo, and/or Chase. Then you transfer funds at your leisure, use your Chase account online to transfer any amount from Wells to Chase, from Chase to Bangkok Bank. You need one computer and one ATM card - to withdraw any amount up to B 50,000 per day from B.B. No fee, no sweat. That is all you need to know. But it is a one-way street. You cannot transfer from B.B. to an American bank. I know these facts from experience not speculation.

If you have 2 Bangkok Bank accounts, one with an ATM card and one without, can't you just do an online transfer from one account to the other and avoid a trip to the bank?

Grin

No. SS Direct Deposit account must be withdrawn or transferred in person.

Hope you get this figured out soon..

Can I get some info. on how you have set up a D.D. with BKK bank

So I can get mine set up...?

Thanks for any info.....

Call Bangkok Bank. They have a lady who will answer all of your questions. I went to my branch of Bangkok Bank and asked the manager to call that lady and assist him in opening the account.

I was under the impression that everyone who has SS direct deposited in Thailand gets a SSA-7162 every year. Mine was lost/stolen one year and they stopped my payments in Feb.

Has anyone here not gotten a SSA-7162 form once a year who has their SS direct deposited in Thailand?

Edited by thailiketoo

I was under the impression that everyone who has SS direct deposited in Thailand gets a SSA-7162 every year. Mine was lost/stolen one year and they stopped my payments in Feb.

Has anyone here not gotten a SSA-7162 form once a year who has their SS direct deposited in Thailand?

Everyone who has their SS direct deposited to Bangkok Bank will receive the SSA-7162 form once a year. However, they do not always send the form at the same time each year. But, it does appear that they send all the forms to everyone in Chiang Mai at the same time each year --- at least that was the case last year. That's why I started the thread in 2013 when I heard reports that the forms were showing up in people's mailboxes, to remind folks to look for them and go back to their previous addresses across town to ask if they'd received any mail if they'd moved in the past year and forgotten to tell Manila. (don't know about you, but it is rare for us to receive mail here)

Heck, even if they'd emailed Manila, it is no guarantee that the new address was on record. That's what happened to Hubby in 2012.

Edited by NancyL

Everyone who has their SS direct deposited to Bangkok Bank will receive the SSA-7162 form once a year. However, they do not always send the form at the same time each year. But, it does appear that they send all the forms to everyone in Chiang Mai at the same time each year --- at least that was the case last year. That's why I started the thread in 2013 when I heard reports that the forms were showing up in people's mailboxes, to remind folks to look for them and go back to their previous addresses across town to ask if they'd received any mail if they'd moved in the past year and forgotten to tell Manila. (don't know about you, but it is rare for us to receive mail here)

Heck, even if they'd emailed Manila, it is no guarantee that the new address was on record. That's what happened to Hubby in 2012.

Good Idea to let everyone know when the SSA-7162's are received in Thailand.

Without wishing to rub it into the OP, I can't believe people do not keep an emergency stash for just this purpose either.

Not least because one day you might need it to get out of the country.

Though you went down wit MH370.... Glad to see you are deemed feisty here too tongue.png

This year they sent out 1st mailing last October, 2nd Mailing went out in February. I did not receive 1st mailing, I did receive 2nd (and it was marked as such. I completed SSA-7162 and took to Post Office to be returned..... They never received it! I alway scan anything like this to record date of file! I called Manila and next day they told me it was never received, But since I had attached the file to my Email they had entered it in Computer and informed Philli it had been sent!!! She asked me if lost mail was common here and my reply was as common as warm Beer gets a head when poured.... She did not understand and a male co-worker took her to a bar and demo'ed for her!!!

I have had over 90% of what was suppose to be a delivery lost in the past 5 years, before that it was almost 97%. Just about the reverse on sent. Seems I need to send things twice,

Example:

I ordered some items from Canada. They sent Registered/return receipt and Air Post. Parcel was tracked all the way across Canada. (We also knew who signed for at each transfer. We knew it boarded Plane in Victoria... also when it was offloaded in Bangkok....smile.png Then it disapeared!!!! facepalm.gif

Thai post said they never received and could not Track... advise contact Sender! Canada had already tracked it and confirmed its delivery to Bangkok, as it was signed for.... smile.png

All of this information was Emailed to Main Branch Thai Post Office in Bangkok, (I live in Chiang Mai..) they at first wanted to dispute, but they also had Phone call at same time from Chiang Mai Post Master informing them in Thai... They had better solve!

Next Day I had Postal Carrier and Postmaster at my house with Parcel... seems it got shipped in Cockpit of a Thai Air plane to Chiang Mai Overnight and Post Master received call at about 2-3 AM in morning about it being secured by Police here. He went and picked it up. Then personally came with delivery.wai.gifthumbsup.gif

He gets invite every Holiday here now to bring family for dinner, (my Father retired Post Master, my Youngest brother Post Master... His wife also Thai)we exchanged USA Postal memrobialia (spelling...) He had taken Dad and Tim to Famous Night Club here... So we kinda knew each other)cheesy.gif

I think this is why Philli has form mailed twice, about 90 days in between... and waits about 30days further for response. I really think this could be done online and on their secure site... but who am I This would save thousands of dollars yearly and cut labor costs. Maybe computer entry level worker would need overtime or additional need be hired... But this is simple and like Thailand seems to not be comprehended as such...clap2.gif

His comment to me was, David... Farang call this (Thaiand) LOS=Land of Smile.... I say same but meaning different... LOS=LOST... Then I smile.... As we shared a Bottle of Yukon Jack...

Edited by davidstipek

This year they sent out 1st mailing last October, 2nd Mailing went out in February. I did not receive 1st mailing, I did receive 2nd (and it was marked as such. I completed SSA-7162 and took to Post Office to be returned..... They never received it! I alway scan anything like this to record date of file! I called Manila and next day they told me it was never received, But since I had attached the file to my Email they had entered it in Computer and informed Philli it had been sent!!! She asked me if lost mail was common here and my reply was as common as warm Beer gets a head when poured.... She did not understand and a male co-worker took her to a bar and demo'ed for her!!!

I have had over 90% of what was suppose to be a delivery lost in the past 5 years, before that it was almost 97%. Just about the reverse on sent. Seems I need to send things twice,

Example:

I ordered some items from Canada. They sent Registered/return receipt and Air Post. Parcel was tracked all the way across Canada. (We also knew who signed for at each transfer. We knew it boarded Plane in Victoria... also when it was offloaded in Bangkok....smile.png Then it disapeared!!!! facepalm.gif

Thai post said they never received and could not Track... advise contact Sender! Canada had already tracked it and confirmed its delivery to Bangkok, as it was signed for.... smile.png

All of this information was Emailed to Main Branch Thai Post Office in Bangkok, (I live in Chiang Mai..) they at first wanted to dispute, but they lso had Phone call at same time from Chiang Mai Post Master informing them in Thai... They had better solve!

Next Day I had Postal Carrier and Postmaster at my house with Parcel... seems it got shipped in Cockpit of a Thai Air plane to Chiang Mai Overnight and Post Master received call at about 2-3 AM in morning about it being secured by Police here. He went and picked it up. Then personally came with delivery.wai.gifthumbsup.gif

He gets invite every Holiday here now to bring family for dinner, (my Father retired Post Master, my Youngest brother Post Master... His wife also Thai)we exchanged USA Postal memrobialia (spelling...) He had taken Dad and Tim to Famous Night Club here... So we kinda knew each other)cheesy.gif

I think this is why Philli has form mailed twice, about 90 days in between... and waits about 30days further for response. I really think this could be done online and on their secure site... but who am I This would save thousands of dollars yearly and cut labor costs. Maybe computer entry level worker would need overtime or additional need be hired... But this is simple and like Thailand seems to not be comprehended as such...clap2.gif

You must be the only person in Thailand with this information. Do you have SS direct deposit in Thailand? The last mailing to my knowledge was June of 2013. I think that is the consensus of this thread. How come you are the only SS direct deposit recipient to get mailings in October and Feb?

Example:

All of this information was Emailed to Main Branch Thai Post Office in Bangkok, (I live in Chiang Mai..) they at first wanted to dispute, but they lso had Phone call at same time from Chiang Mai Post Master informing them in Thai... They had better solve!

You must be the only person in Thailand with this information. Do you have SS direct deposit in Thailand? The last mailing to my knowledge was June of 2013. I think that is the consensus of this thread. How come you are the only SS direct deposit recipient to get mailings in October and Feb?

Mine get mailed to house in Nonthaburi... Brother and Sister-in-law, Doctor (Brother-in-law) worked at US Embassy, was for a while Director of Infectious deseases here and Mailing are definately secure to there home. As many Letters come from Atlanta and in English... I guess I was lucky to marry into this Family... Not that my wife and I not love each other after so many years...biggrin.png

To answer your questions... Yes I have direct deposit with Bangkok Bank. I get text message when New York Branch receives transfer and it is here at same time. I was told everyone gets 2 mailing 60 days appart. Sometimes I receive both... sometimes not! They reserve 30 days to receive return Mail...

Edited by davidstipek

Example:

Mine get mailed to house in Nonthaburi... Brother and Sister-in-law, Doctor (Brother-in-law) worked at US Embassy, was for a while Director of Infectious deseases here and Mailing are definately secure to there home. As many Letters come from Atlanta and in English... I guess I was lucky to marry into this Family... Not that my wife and I not love each other after so many years...biggrin.png

You wrote, "This year they sent out 1st mailing last October, 2nd Mailing went out in February. I did not receive 1st mailing, I did receive 2nd (and it was marked as such. I completed SSA-7162 and took to Post Office to be returned..... They never received it!"

Since no one else in Thailand got a notice in October or February I'm confused about that? Second, SS stops Feb payments. As far as know that is the only month they stop paying in. So why would they make a Feb mailing and how did you know they didn't get your SSA-7162?

Is there some agency in Manila that knows when each of the mailings went out? Or are going to go out?

Thanks

tongue.png

Grin

No. SS Direct Deposit account must be withdrawn or transferred in person.

This is correct! You must have Passport and they used to Photocopy Visa and Title page (Picture) then you needed to sign them... these were also compared with signature in Passport/Bankbook/withdrawl slip. Now they just need to copy passport Number and Visa Number onto back of form. Also only assigned account is only one who can withdraw.... (Wife can't disappear with...tongue.png ) this is one case they actually look at picture in Passportcheesy.gif No Debit cards.... But in person you can transfer to 2nd account... (In some cases what you might be willing to losecheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif {Wife...giggle.gif } )

Example:

You wrote, "This year they sent out 1st mailing last October, 2nd Mailing went out in February. I did not receive 1st mailing, I did receive 2nd (and it was marked as such. I completed SSA-7162 and took to Post Office to be returned..... They never received it!"

Since no one else in Thailand got a notice in October or February I'm confused about that? Second, SS stops Feb payments. As far as know that is the only month they stop paying in. So why would they make a Feb mailing and how did you know they didn't get your SSA-7162?

Is there some agency in Manila that knows when each of the mailings went out? Or are going to go out?

Thanks

Answer to your questions:

Yes it is SSI Office! Its their Job....

I knew in March They not receive form.. Deposit stopped! Contacted SSI is Manila ( I have included their contact info here) If you would like I can next year attach copies to show you dates they are sent as they have typed dates to top of forms..... I always scan both form and dated envelope (I date stamp on machine in Office)

{Quoted information from SSI Email for use here}

Ivee Dianne P. Gomez / Claims Representative/ Social Security Administration, Embassy of the United States of America, 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita 0930 Manila, Philippines/ Tel (632) 301 2669/ Fax (632) 7089714/ www.socialsecurity.gov/ www.medicare.gov/ http://manila.usembassy.gov

Apply Online for Benefits – it is fast and easy!

You can apply for the following benefits online:

1. Retirement at http://www.ssa.gov/planners/about.htm

2. Disability at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/applyfordisability/

3. Medicare Only at http://www.ssa.gov/medicareonly/

At this time, no other online services are available outside the United States.

The online hours of operation are:

• Weekdays 5 AM - 1 AM Eastern Time (ET)

• Saturday 5 AM - 11 PM ET

• Sunday 8 AM - 11:30 PM ET

• Holidays 5 AM - 1 AM ET

It had seemed to me in Thailand all of the SSA-7162 went out in June 2013 according to a previous poster and my experience. However it seems yours went out in October. I assumed that the Manila office only knew when a recipient did not respond.

I guess Manila knows when the forms go out but do they go out according to some schedule or sequence or location?

Has anyone received a SSA-7162 first mailing for 2014?

Sounds like you're in a bit of a jam, OP. Calling that 800 number is probably the only way to straighten this out, but you should wait until Tuesday to see what's what. I called that number one time and this message came on, thanking for my call, I am so important to them, the estimated time to get a live operator is approx 38 minutes. Then they played some horrible non-descript music that sounded like it was on a cassette tape that someone had left in a glove compartment for months in an abandoned car down in South Texas. When I finally got someone, the call got dropped just as we were almost sorted out on the problem. Hope you don't have to do that. One number for the entire US!

On a semi-related note...I was going to have my SSA monthly check direct deposited into my Bangkok Bank account, but as I read the terms, one cannot access the funds via ATM, you have to go to the bank every time to withdraw money. I've been meaning to post about this, to see what is the experience of members who have used this service. Is this true? Makes it seem not worth it to me, even though I now must get periodic funds transferred from my US bank, at a cost of $40 per transaction. Somebody said that might be increased soon, but there seems to be no alternative.

You guys that say one should keep a million baht or so stashed "just in case"...must be great to be so flush. Congratulations.

How about direct deposit into a Charles Schwab account? Then you can withdraw from an ATM anywhere and there are no ATM fees.

Sounds like you're in a bit of a jam, OP. Calling that 800 number is probably the only way to straighten this out, but you should wait until Tuesday to see what's what. I called that number one time and this message came on, thanking for my call, I am so important to them, the estimated time to get a live operator is approx 38 minutes. Then they played some horrible non-descript music that sounded like it was on a cassette tape that someone had left in a glove compartment for months in an abandoned car down in South Texas. When I finally got someone, the call got dropped just as we were almost sorted out on the problem. Hope you don't have to do that. One number for the entire US!

On a semi-related note...I was going to have my SSA monthly check direct deposited into my Bangkok Bank account, but as I read the terms, one cannot access the funds via ATM, you have to go to the bank every time to withdraw money. I've been meaning to post about this, to see what is the experience of members who have used this service. Is this true? Makes it seem not worth it to me, even though I now must get periodic funds transferred from my US bank, at a cost of $40 per transaction. Somebody said that might be increased soon, but there seems to be no alternative.

You guys that say one should keep a million baht or so stashed "just in case"...must be great to be so flush. Congratulations.

How about direct deposit into a Charles Schwab account? Then you can withdraw from an ATM anywhere and there are no ATM fees.

Direct Deposit into any US based bank account, then an automatic transfer to your Bangkok Bank Thai account using the New York branch routing number

Bangkok Bank web site seems to suggest that if you set up the Direct Deposit into Bangkok Bank you must appear in person to get your money every month as Frank James stated. A non starter IMHO.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has their SS money Direct Deposited into the New York branch and if that will circumvent this restriction

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

Direct Deposit into any US based bank account, then an automatic transfer to your Bangkok Bank Thai account using the New York branch routing number

Bangkok Bank web site seems to suggest that if you set up the Direct Deposit into Bangkok Bank you must appear in person to get your money every month as Frank James stated. A non starter IMHO.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has their SS money Direct Deposited into the New York branch and if that will circumvent this restriction

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

The Bangkok Bank NYC branch is not a retail branch. You cannot open an account there. It is used to facilitate commerce between US and Thailand. So,yes, if you are going to have your SS direct deposited to Bangkok Bank you are going to have to show up in person each month to claim the funds in person.

Even with this restriction, I think there are benefits. For one thing, I've seen too many cases where people lose their foreign ATM card or otherwise are locked out of their foreign bank account and it's nearly impossible to try to resolve the problem from here. This is especially true if they're incapacitated and in hospital. But, if you're in that condition, Bankgok Bank will send an officer to the hospital to verify your condition and release funds to pay your hospital bills and other necessary expenses like your rent and utilities. Don't think Charles Schwab will do that! Bangkok Bank doesn't even charge for that service.

• Like 1

The Bangkok Bank NYC branch is not a retail branch. You cannot open an account there. It is used to facilitate commerce between US and Thailand. So,yes, if you are going to have your SS direct deposited to Bangkok Bank you are going to have to show up in person each month to claim the funds in person.

Even with this restriction, I think there are benefits. For one thing, I've seen too many cases where people lose their foreign ATM card or otherwise are locked out of their foreign bank account and it's nearly impossible to try to resolve the problem from here. This is especially true if they're incapacitated and in hospital. But, if you're in that condition, Bankgok Bank will send an officer to the hospital to verify your condition and release funds to pay your hospital bills and other necessary expenses like your rent and utilities. Don't think Charles Schwab will do that! Bangkok Bank doesn't even charge for that service.

But with the SS direct deposit account at Bangkok Bank, the person himself or herself must show up in person to get the funds. This restriction is required by the US Government. No ATM, no internet banking, no other person, regardless of medical condition.

mesquite, did you read what I wrote in the post just above yours?

As I said in the previous post, the requirement is that a Bangkok Bank official has to lay eyeballs on the SS recipient each month to claim the funds. If the recipient is unable to come into the bank due to a medical condition, then Bangkok Bank is willing to send a bank official to the hospital to arrange the transfer of funds to the second Bangkok Bank account that most people maintain -- one with ATM card access. They are very, very willing to come out to a car or tuk-tuk in the parking lot outside their branch to handle this, too. You don't have to be able to walk into the bank. If someone is housebound, arrangements can be made also.

As I said, can Charles Schwab do all this for you? What if you lose your ATM card? What if you're unable to use the computer? What if you're in a coma and unable to handle internet banking? You'd better be sure that someone you trust has been set up to handle this important task. And you better be sure you trust that they won't clean out your Charles Scwab account. If you're in a coma, someone can work with Bangkok Bank to be sure you and your family continues to have access to your SS. Not so with your overseas bank accounts if no one knows you ATM PIN number, internet banking passwords or telephone banking security question answers. The overseas banks will want to see a Power of Attorney.

I should note that if it seems a SS recipient is going to be incapacitated long-term SS Manila can have the SS payment destination reassigned, but even in an emergency situation that takes several days and sometimes they don't catch a payment and it can go into an account that is simply locked because the recipient is no longer in a condition to access it.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

mesquite, did you read what I wrote in the post just above yours?

As I said in the previous post, the requirement is that a Bangkok Bank official has to lay eyeballs on the SS recipient each month to claim the funds. If the recipient is unable to come into the bank due to a medical condition, then Bangkok Bank is willing to send a bank official to the hospital to arrange the transfer of funds to the second Bangkok Bank account that most people maintain -- one with ATM card access. They are very, very willing to come out to a car or tuk-tuk in the parking lot outside their branch to handle this, too. You don't have to be able to walk into the bank. If someone is housebound, arrangements can be made also.

As I said, can Charles Schwab do all this for you? What if you lose your ATM card? What if you're unable to use the computer? What if you're in a coma and unable to handle internet banking? You'd better be sure that someone you trust has been set up to handle this important task. And you better be sure you trust that they won't clean out your Charles Scwab account. If you're in a coma, someone can work with Bangkok Bank to be sure you and your family continues to have access to your SS. Not so with your overseas bank accounts if no one knows you ATM PIN number, internet banking passwords or telephone banking security question answers. The overseas banks will want to see a Power of Attorney.

I should note that if it seems a SS recipient is going to be incapacitated long-term SS Manila can have the SS payment destination reassigned, but even in an emergency situation that takes several days and sometimes they don't catch a payment and it can go into an account that is simply locked because the recipient is no longer in a condition to access it.

Nancy, yes I read your post.

Have you ever seen what you describe happen? How many times?

"If you use a direct deposit service to receive funds from a US Government Agency, you must appear in person at a Bangkok Bank branch to withdraw the funds.

Bangkok Bank cannot authorize the withdrawal of funds from your direct deposit account by an appointed representative, or via ATM or any other electronic channel. You must appear in person at a Bangkok Bank branch to withdraw the funds. You can, however, open a normal savings or current account and transfer the funds from your direct deposit account to this account. You may then withdraw your funds as usual via ATM or any other electronic channel."

This is from the Bangkok Bank website. Bolding is mine. It's under:

Advice to Bangkok Bank customers receiving payments from US government agencies or private organizations (Direct Deposit)

link is:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/dailybanking/transferingfunds/transferringintothailand/receivingfundsfromusa/pages/receivingfundsfromusa.aspx

This thread has wandered, yet there is some good information here in my opinion.

As for what if someone is hospitalized, I believe, depending on the severity of the injuries, for US citizens, the US Consulate Citizen Services can assist.

Get Help with a Medical Emergency Abroad

If you or a U.S. citizen loved one become seriously ill or injured abroad, a consular officer from the U.S. embassy or consulate can assist in locating appropriate medical services and informing your family or friends. If necessary, a consular officer can also assist in the transfer of funds from the United States. However, payment of hospital and other expenses is the patient’s responsibility. You can find local medical and emergency information at the website of the U.S. embassy or consulate near the ill or injured person.

This situation, like so many others, can get "what if" to death. What if can help to support anyone's way of thinking.

Edited by hml367

To answer mesquite's question, yes I've seen the procedure I describe in action with Bangkok Bank 3 or 4 times a month.

www.LannaCareNet.org

I've also been in the position of making phone calls to U.S. banks on behalf of an elderly person and basically getting nowhere in trying to unlock a frozen account or get a new ATM card sent to him because the guy can't remember the name of his first pet or some other security question put in place when he opened the account. The best we can do is to move quickly to get the guy's SS money to start coming into Bangkok Bank so that's it's easier for him to get access to it.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2