The "I've been here longer than you" people.

Deaw

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Means nothing!

I know a few folk who have been here more than 20 years and are still clueless about the place and whose language skills don't extend beyond "Sawatdee Krap"

Oh ,so you know my mate then?biggrin.png As for myself ,i dont talk to tourists cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Means nothing!

I know a few folk who have been here more than 20 years and are still clueless about the place and whose language skills don't extend beyond "Sawatdee Krap"

Agreed, especially the clueless ones who think they know everything and insist on telling you how it is(n't).

Always learning, have to Google "Sawatdee Krap" to see what it means ! (joking!)

Mmm wonder who has the hang up here - these guys for telling you how long they have lived here, or you for being bothered by it (kind of sounds like penis envy - big guys like to talk about it, small guys with a hang-up get offended, everyone else couldn't are less). Sometimes newcomers appreciate meeting people that have been here a while - they can help in so many ways with the simple and not so simple stuff - even from their place on the bar stall next to you. Things like we see here often in the local forums: Good dentists, nice moo bahns, expat bars, places to avoid, best place for a massage without getting solicited, best place for fish and chips/decent beer/to buy vegemite and so on. Can help get the conversation moving, and answering "yeah me too" for other longer termers, it can launch the nostalgic bit.

I might also add that, the answer to "Where you from?" being returned as "Nakom Somewhere" is often a defence mechanism. Thai strangers ask that all the time and it can really get grating - replying, "Bangkok" can sometimes stop them cold.

If someone asks were i am from i generally say North,if were are you going south,east or west,this generally stops unwanted conversations dead in their tracks.

• Like 1

The ironic thing is most of these people you speak of,I've met them first hand also,speak hardly any Thai and despise the place,hang on this could be your average TV member.

You make a good point. Familiarity breeds contempt.

• Like 2

A lot of these so called 'ex pats' think because they've been her X amount of years their sh1t don't stink and think travellers are beneath them and 'look at me' syndrome I've got loads of money to live here etc etc, now I served my Thai time for about seven years but was always helpful to travellers if they asked me for advice but never got above my station thinking I know more than you because I lived here etc, most of my friends are still in the Los but none of them ever think their too big or important to talk too, maybe it's a American thing about how long you've stayed there idk..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I guess they have to win at something.

Anyone else get there gold thai watch in the mail??? Ahh you havent been here long enough..yeah they send one to you after you become an expert at knowing everything that anyone wants to know. Usually takes about 30 years but i did it in 2 weeks.

Sent from my c64

• Like 1

Not a problem for me. I'm a recluse and rarely speak to anyone in English.

But.....you do speak to us JL on TVF......and we like you.thumbsup.gif

Thank you. I have US based NGO that deals now with several US Federal Court cases and government policy issues in the US and internationally through the UN principally in Geneva. I spend a lot of time online often at odd hours. I tend to write as briskly as possible or else my stuff in those arenas will just not get read by lawyers, government officials, and heads of large international NGOs who are my typical audience.

So spending time on here on TV is often a respite from reading legal documents or monitoring online meetings or testimony. I just do not tend to meet a lot of farang/non-Thais. I don't drink; don't smoke; and I know nothing about footie. Although my Thai skills are not on par with those in the Thai language forum I have no problem speaking with Thais who speak no English. So thanks from here in the outskirts of KK.

• Like 1

Not a problem for me. I'm a recluse and rarely speak to anyone in English.

See Jl,i told you you needed to get out more.

Why? The girls make house calls.

cheesy.gif That one gets my poster of the year award......

Mmm wonder who has the hang up here - these guys for telling you how long they have lived here, or you for being bothered by it (kind of sounds like penis envy - big guys like to talk about it, small guys with a hang-up get offended, everyone else couldn't are less). Sometimes newcomers appreciate meeting people that have been here a while - they can help in so many ways with the simple and not so simple stuff - even from their place on the bar stall next to you. Things like we see here often in the local forums: Good dentists, nice moo bahns, expat bars, places to avoid, best place for a massage without getting solicited, best place for fish and chips/decent beer/to buy vegemite and so on. Can help get the conversation moving, and answering "yeah me too" for other longer termers, it can launch the nostalgic bit.

I might also add that, the answer to "Where you from?" being returned as "Nakom Somewhere" is often a defence mechanism. Thai strangers ask that all the time and it can really get grating - replying, "Bangkok" can sometimes stop them cold.

If someone asks were i am from i generally say North,if were are you going south,east or west,this generally stops unwanted conversations dead in their tracks.

Is it possible that your reply of "North" invokes aghast thoughts of "Isaan" in these people's minds, and thus their reluctance to continue the conversation?

Just teasing, I have no real anti-Isaan feeling. wink.png

The starngest thing is the ones who've been here for years and can barely speak a word of Thai, are still hanging around tourist orientated girlie bars and really know jack shit about Thai culture.

It follows the only way you would know this, is hanging around girlie bars talking to them about how long they have been here.

I don't live in a tourist area, don't talk to strangers and only go to places that serve alcohol for food at lunch or dinner. I would go to a go go bar but there aren't any where I live.

The only long term stayers who don't speak Thai and live in tourist areas are dullards at best. Just from a financial point of view it is dead dumb.

• Like 1