i give to poor thai beggers , it makes me feel good...but !

kranuan

Had a kid at a night market try to sell me gum. I asked him why he had to work at such a young age. He looks away. I ask him what he wants to do with his money that he makes. Looks away. Then I ask where his family is. Looks away. Then an adult comes by and says to me in an angry voice..."stop asking questions!:)

Another beggar...mother with s new baby every day at the foot of the BTS. She sees me everyday and asks for money. I ask her why she needs money. She says to eat. I ask her what i can buy her to eat. She is upset by my question. I ask her again...she says just give me money!:)

I love beggars just for the acting aspect.

• Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beggars in tourist areas that target farangs are mostly professionals taking advantage of tourists. Most are not even Thai, they are Cambodians that come here because they can make more money begging than working in factory at home.

Poor disabled Thais usually try to do something marginally useful rather than straight up beg. Sell lottery tickets or some sort of snack or knick knack. People don't necessarily want these things but will buy in order to help out. There is a mentally disabled man near me that sells brooms for instance. I have a lot of brooms. But I never give to anyone in tourist areas.

Yeah...right on.

Some go to such extremes as to have all their fingers removed to fake leprosy. Some actually catch leprosy just for the donations. Then there are those that had their limbs intentionally removed just to wrench a farangs heart out of 20 Baht. Howabout the guys that crawl around on their bellies with no legs?

All to get out of working for a living.

Edited by ClutchClark

I give money to people who hell Thailand's mistreated and maltreated animals. I also prefer to spend my money on some dog or cat food at the 7-11 and feed a starving soi cat or dog. As for the beggers who have controlled begging zones and who are in the employ of organized criminals, I give nothing.

Well said geriatrickid.........

In my area Pin Klao on the overbridges.....beggars abound.......I am sickened to my heart when I see the beggar mother (Cambodian) with a baby on her breast no more than six months old...both of them in dirty filthy clothing and unwashed....yet the other morning mother is flat out talking on a Samsung i-phone....mmmmm....you have to wonder who is employing them.

Like wise I have seen the crawling no-arms beggar pushing his polystyrene cup with his mouth at Pin Klao one day and then seen him again on Sukhumvit the very next day.....some 30km's away......so someone is transporting him around Bangkok and no doubt "collecting" his earnings each day.

It is a hard call at times...as both pull at your heart strings and your humanitarium concerns.

Rather than give money...I make an effort and go and buy some food/bottled water for them and deliver it back to them ...sure it costs more but I would rather they were able to "eat" my donation than have my money "disappear" into other hands at the end of the begging day.

On a seperate but related note.....I tried the food instead of money donation to an obvious druggie on the streets of Melbourne some years back....he went absolutely off his tree at me....screaming and abusing me for giving him food........at least that doesn't happen here in Thailand.

• Like 1

If you want to give them anything, do not give them money. Give them food for the poor young kids they have brought with them to tug at your heart strings. Give a bottle of water. If they have no hands then offer to help feed them if you feel so motivated. The ring leaders who put them there can't take the eaten food away from them later.

• Like 2

This topic has been covered in the past, and many have reported that beggers in the tourist areas were smuggled over the border by gangs. The beggers have been seen stepping out of BMWs onto the streets in the morning, and picked up at night. Some captured gang members reported earnings of 60k baht per month, per begger. They take all the money and give 100 baht back to the begger each day. Sorry but I don't support car payments for gangs. Most Thai's know the place for food and shelter is at the temples.

• Like 2

Common People where is your humanity. Ok when I see woman with small children on foot paths beg for money I do not give. Mostly it is a scam but when I see someone without arms or a leg or massive scars I most certainly always give. And you should too. You have 2 arms 2 legs and someone loves you . This person has a very hard life. You have loose change in your pocket Stick your hand in their and get it . What difference will it make . A lot for the person who does not have a leg . foot or arm

I give money to people who hell Thailand's mistreated and maltreated animals. I also prefer to spend my money on some dog or cat food at the 7-11 and feed a starving soi cat or dog. As for the beggers who have controlled begging zones and who are in the employ of organized criminals, I give nothing.

Like wise I have seen the crawling no-arms beggar pushing his polystyrene cup with his mouth at Pin Klao one day and then seen him again on Sukhumvit the very next day.....some 30km's away......so someone is transporting him around Bangkok and no doubt "collecting" his earnings each day.

You're kidding right? You refuse to give a guy 20 Baht who spends his entire life on his belly with his face centimeters off the filthy sidewalks because you think he is "playing" you? Are you actually serious?

That is the most repulsive thing I have read on here in some time.

The same person transporting him is the same person providing his shelter and driving him to the hospital. Maybe a relative?

For 20 Baht, I could care a less. The poor guy is gaining something from what is otherwise truly hell on this earth.

Edited by ClutchClark

Did you just want to come on here to tell the world how you like to throw your money around spreading largesse and happiness everywhere you go like the Candyman (not Clive Barker's Candyman). I'm guessing you're an English Teacher with a massive inferiority complex and a ban from whatever other forum you infest regularly....

theyre everywhere cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It's the same moral question anywhere you go in the world and not unique to Thailand. Some English won't give to beggars in England because they think it keeps them on the streets, they will buy drink with it, it's a scam etc and others will give. Nothing unique about Thailand as far as the moral dilemma goes. I give when I'm in a good mood which is most of the time, what's 20 baht to a farang unless you are keeneow?

I agree with you in most parts.... I want to give to the guy sitting their on the street with a mugg in front of him. My thaiwife says -"Dont give, have seen him, he has 2 legs and 2 arms" So I agree it is the same all over the world..... It is easier to note a scam from you fellow countrymen I guess.

Glegolo

When I cross the bridge of nana station, I see a beggar. Now I actually regret not giving some money to help her. Small money to me but it makes a difference to her. Of course donation should be voluntary and up to individuals.

i gave some food once, but I never give money coz it pis**** me off knowing that if the elite actually paid their fair share of tax, well Thailand would not be so poor.

It would all still disappear into the hands of the new 'Elite'. Just more than it does now.

I buy them hot food and a drink and come back and give it to them. That way i know they can eat and not give away the money or drink beer/whatever with it. Most times i get a wai and a smile.

Not just here there are beggars; i used to do the same in Britain especially in the winter when i would buy hot pies or pasties.

Personally I give to any "beggar" who asks or I pass on the sidewalk. I rarely ever walk outside as I go from my car to the door of wherever I'm going to but I do give whenever my car is stopped in a traffic jam or a light indicator and they come to my window. I mention this because I don't really know how it would be if I used the sidewalks often and were faced with multiple beggars daily.

I also tip everyone from the petrol attendant to the doorman to anyone else I come into contact with. It's just a way to give back some of what I have been given.

We also bring food to the Temples often and the Temple distributes the food to the poor. I believe not all temples do this but where we go they have free meals for anyone who comes and I think they do this everyday.

I understand some of the beggars are taking advantage but my attitude is "why take the risk"?

There was once a foreign lady picked up a dollar note on the floor but gave to me instead of another foreign man. Well I guess she just wants to give back to my country. Same thing when I go thailand, whatever baht I exchange I spend it all back to thai economy.

some beggars are in a truly awful situation ,I do know that there is no social security system in Thailand and to give is its own reward, when you start questioning the recipient on whether they are scamming or are part of a large network or Mafioso organization, you detract from the spirit of intent. a blind man is a blind man a severely burnt man is a disfigured human being and a poor old lady walking her down syndrome child singing karaoke trying to make enough to make life more comfortable., are real people these people are not dregs of society nor sideshow freaks. they have learnt humility and suffer from a loss of dignity and a challenging life, they have hearts and feelings like all of us. We are in a privileged position compared to these people, if it hurts you to part with 20 baht then I think that the honest beggars of the world are indeed more blessed than you, walk a mile in someone shoes and imagine how it would feel to be hungry and homeless and in the spirit of humanity count your self lucky that you are not one of them.if you don't want to give ...up to you!

• Like 1

Lots of attitudes on display here today.

I give small amounts to people whenever the mood hits me. I don't particularly care what they do with it, or who brought them there. They are carrying their own particular karmic load, as I am carrying mine. The exchange helps both of us move along one step closer to whatever is next to be.

If you are a down and out drunk on the street, what you usually want is a another drink, not a bunch of questions, or a lecture, or somebody handing you a greasy burger.

• Like 1

When Westerners give it usually out of a feeling of empathy and wanting to help a little bit.

When Thais give it is to get something back later should they need it. I like how they donate to monks then ask them for lottery numbers. Selfish to the core.

• Like 1

Lots of attitudes on display here today.

I give small amounts to people whenever the mood hits me. I don't particularly care what they do with it, or who brought them there. They are carrying their own particular karmic load, as I am carrying mine. The exchange helps both of us move along one step closer to whatever is next to be.

If you are a down and out drunk on the street, what you usually want is a another drink, not a bunch of questions, or a lecture, or somebody handing you a greasy burger.

Well, I'm certainly not poor, but I will take a greasy burger next time you're passing. Thanks.

always have helped those in need but over the years I changed from handing out money to filling there bellies if they refuse help of food then I know there scammers. And I can hold my head high and call them lowlifes when they beg for cash.

why do they only come to us ? " farangs " thai people do not have money ? or thai people are stingy greedy people and will not help their fellow man when down on their luck.

oh, i just cant wait for the 1st negitive post on here.

waiting

" oh, i just cant wait for the 1st negitive post on here."

Definition of a troll, no?

troll

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

I see beggars on Pattaya Tai, especially on market days and they get money from Thais and farang. 10 or 20 baht from someone who works in 7-Eleven may not seem like much, but I've not seen many farang putting a similar percentage of their income in the beggars' cups. In fact most walk by studiously avoiding eye contact with the beggar.

One of the reasons there is very little hunger in Thailand is because a Thai, no matter how poor him/herself, will almost always be willing to share.

I suppose from your point of view this amounts to a "negitive" post. If you want to give someone some charity, do it to help the person, not to make yourself feel self-important or to use as an excuse to start another Thai bashing thread. That's not being charitable.

Humblebrag.png

more s**t talk , but hey im used to it by now . ok i,ll correct you, you come on here saying i am a troll , i can assure you i am not but it doesnt really matter to me what you or anyone else thinks of me. then you say i give beggers money to make myself feel important , nothing could be further from the truth, doesnt it break your heart to see some 70 year old lady sitting with a small child at the side of the road ? you want to be ashamed of yourself. thirdly i am not on here to bash thai,s if i did not like thais i would not feel the need to give them money . im just stating the facts about never seeing thai people give to beggers or even beggers approaching thai,s .

I see many Thais giving money to handicapped beggars and old people, but don’t recall seeing Thais giving money to beggars who can perform a work or children/kids begging. If I have coins in my pocket I often give them to handicapped or old people begging.

My friend who introduced me to Thailand said, never give money to beggars who can work, the can work instead of begging. Recently there were some stories in the news about how much beggars in Bangkok could make in a day – made me think about the cartoon with the beggar having his private driver and limousine waiting round the corner – much better paid than working…

However, if we feel good giving some money to beggars, then Okay. What does a few bath less in the pocket mean to me? So I don’t mind helping a blind, the man with one leg selling chewing gum or the crippled fellow on the skateboard, with nickels – even if they during a day do make more than a workers minimum wage, they don’t have many options for improving their life. The other night at the market I emptied the coins in my pocket and said to my little daughter: »Please go and give it to the small man with no legs on the skateboard.« She went there and put the coins, maybe 15-20 baht, in his plastic mug. The crippled fellow took the coins, smiled; saw the girl returning to me, and then he wai’ed “kabun khrab” to me with a big smile, a smile worth a lot more than 20 baht. Later on our way back we passed the little fellow on the skateboard again, and when he saw us he wai’ed again and bowed his head…

I give to Thai beggars on a case by case basis. No to the women sitting with babies, yes to the blind guys playing

an instrument being led around by a guide, yes to the guy missing a limb. No to the shills with a book asking for

a substantial donation to a orphanage or a UN project. (anything to do with the UN is a scam in my opinion, as I

have travelled in Africa, and Asia). No to child flower sellers who should be in bed. 5-10-20 baht is not much. I don't

care what they spend it on (vice or food and housing). At least it is not the 90% overhead that most NGO's waste

and whatever brings them a little happiness is fine with me. I do see Thai bar girls giving 5 baht coins. Just my

personal position. Back home I give yearly to three main charities and no to the rest. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

My buddy told me there are gangs that force some of the handicapped to beg. I'm not sure if it's true or not? He told me not to give them money because the gang will take it at the end of day.

Edited by mrowe1973

doesnt it break your heart to see some 70 year old lady sitting with a small child at the side of the road ?

In tourists areas those people usually have a different child with them every time. They rent the children so they look more sympathetic. You can see the same old women, year after year, always with a 6 month old. What exactly do you think is going on? You think those kids on Suhkumvit sitting on the street with a bunch of cute puppies are genuine too? It's a scam to generate maximum sympathy. There will be an adult handler nearby watching everything (he takes all the money) and those puppies will be thrown onto the street and replaced with cuter ones once they are too big. Thai people don't give money to these types of people because they are usually scam artists and it is impossible to identify the few that aren't.

If you want to help people, donate money to a charity. Buy school clothes for poor families. Donate books to a rural school. Buy products from disabled Thais selling them all over Thailand, they are trying to do honest work and deserve to be rewarded. Don't support scam artists and the importation of impoverished Cambodians to beg in Suhkumvit and Pattaya

Beggars in tourist areas that target farangs are mostly professionals taking advantage of tourists. Most are not even Thai, they are Cambodians that come here because they can make more money begging than working in factory at home.

Poor disabled Thais usually try to do something marginally useful rather than straight up beg. Sell lottery tickets or some sort of snack or knick knack. People don't necessarily want these things but will buy in order to help out. There is a mentally disabled man near me that sells brooms for instance. I have a lot of brooms. But I never give to anyone in tourist areas.

is taht guy crawling on the ground wo leggs a fake? feel so bad 4 him hen it rains.

• Like 1