i give to poor thai beggers , it makes me feel good...but !

kranuan

why do they only come to us ? " farangs " thai people do not have money ? or thai people are stingy greedy people and will not help their fellow man when down on their luck.

oh, i just cant wait for the 1st negitive post on here.

waiting

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get out of bed earlier, they to the ones in orange then

those are the worst ones ..........

im not on here to slag off monks either, sorry. and yes i have lived the village life so am used to early mornings.. ok, you sit in a bar or on the beach, in a resturaunt, some deformed begger comes along, i have yet, in all my years of being in thailand , yet to see them even stop to pray in front of a group of thai,s and beg for money. its allways farang. i honestly havent seen a thai giving a begger money, or a russian for that matter.

i was in udon once, a very old filthy woman was collecting plastic bottles on a heavy cart, i was sitting at a bar, i gave her 60 baht , something to eat im thinking, anyway a group of farang guys were sitting beside me watching this, none of them gave. while later she comes back up the road pulling her cart, sits down in front of me, i watch her, she then pulls out a purse from under somewhere and proceeds to count her money there in front of me, the roll of notes she had would " choke a donkey ", she slyly looked up at me and smiled, i couldnt help but laugh , then the guys at the table beside me were laughing too. guess they,d seen it all before.

they really all do think we,re rich, dont they ?

I give money to people who hell Thailand's mistreated and maltreated animals. I also prefer to spend my money on some dog or cat food at the 7-11 and feed a starving soi cat or dog. As for the beggers who have controlled begging zones and who are in the employ of organized criminals, I give nothing.

• Like 1

A well-known Thai blogger who used to release his blog on a Sunday mentioned a beggar on Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok called the "Sukhumvit Slider". Many of the members here will have seen him. He is disabled and basically crawls on his front along Sukhumvit Road begging for money pushing a receptacle in front of him. He's been doing this as far as I remember - more than 12 years or so. I've heard many stories about him but know nothing about him. There is also the grey-haired distinguished looking gent who begs next to the Nana BTS and has also been doing this for years. I always stop and have a chat with him, I think he genuinely enjoys his calling in life.

I give money to people who hell Thailand's mistreated and maltreated animals. I also prefer to spend my money on some dog or cat food at the 7-11 and feed a starving soi cat or dog. As for the beggers who have controlled begging zones and who are in the employ of organized criminals, I give nothing.

so its you! next time i am attacked by a vicious street dog i will piss on your mothers grave. so that should be sometime before tomorrow morning at the latest.

Did you just want to come on here to tell the world how you like to throw your money around spreading largesse and happiness everywhere you go like the Candyman (not Clive Barker's Candyman). I'm guessing you're an English Teacher with a massive inferiority complex and a ban from whatever other forum you infest regularly....

Thais do give to beggars but are better spotting the scams and the plain lazy than the average farang.

See beggars in tourist bar areas clearing a bar of 100 baht in 5 minutes then doing the same in the next bar and the next , then think how long it takes most Thais to earn that.

See a local market with the same beggars going round every night picking up 20 baht in five minutes before moving on to the next stall and doing the same.

See the blind beggars who sit in the dark corner of the market with recovered site counting their money and their accomplice who always has a limp (what a coincidence) that changes sides as they walk/limp.

Many if not most begging kids are kidnapped, why help kidnappers ?

See the ones that walk round the same businesses everyday asking for money instead of a job for 20 years that have a different kid every 2 years (it's not theirs). Have one where we are doing that, the wife says she's done it for 20 years then see how many shopping bags of junk food she has. When I refused her she verbally attacked me and then tried to force her way into the office which was locked.

See the homeless guy who I gave a meal and 20 baht to everyday when I first came here until my wife told me he had refused a job several times because he has no time, yet he can lie on his back 24 hours a day at the business waiting for the mug farang until he got kicked out.

• Like 1

im not on here to slag off monks either, sorry. and yes i have lived the village life so am used to early mornings.. ok, you sit in a bar or on the beach, in a resturaunt, some deformed begger comes along, i have yet, in all my years of being in thailand , yet to see them even stop to pray in front of a group of thai,s and beg for money. its allways farang. i honestly havent seen a thai giving a begger money, or a russian for that matter.

i was in udon once, a very old filthy woman was collecting plastic bottles on a heavy cart, i was sitting at a bar, i gave her 60 baht , something to eat im thinking, anyway a group of farang guys were sitting beside me watching this, none of them gave. while later she comes back up the road pulling her cart, sits down in front of me, i watch her, she then pulls out a purse from under somewhere and proceeds to count her money there in front of me, the roll of notes she had would " choke a donkey ", she slyly looked up at me and smiled, i couldnt help but laugh , then the guys at the table beside me were laughing too. guess they,d seen it all before.

they really all do think we,re rich, dont they ?

OP, if you go to the market, you will see that Thais do give changes to beggers. However, I think farangs are more generous than Thais, very simple answer :).

• Like 2

While giving money to beggars may make you feel good as you say I have since doing the same questioned myself as to whether giving money is really helping them. Does it not just teach younger people that begging is an accepted way of life and certainly doesn't teach or encourage independence or sustainability. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Both of you are insulting Buddhism. I doubt either of you has had much direct contact with monks. I suspect your impressions are based on a few sensational stories about criminals or materialistic posers in the monkhood. There have been a few, but the monks that I know personally live lives of selfless devotion. I was a monk myself for seven days once, and learned a lot from them.

My wife and I support a monk who's running a communal farm and school for novices in Wiang Haeng, a remote district adjoining the Burmese border in the northern part of Chiang Mai. In his "spare time" he earned a Ph.D. and lectures at Mae Jo University. He has changed the lives of hundreds of young men who may or may not continue in the monkhood. That's just one example.

Oh, by they way, maybe one of you legal minds can clarify the rules. Is it still true that one can be deported for insulting Buddhism?

yep sounds like a typical religious attitude.

There used to be a really old thai lady that would sit at the base of the walkway across ratchadapisek road near soi 7.

she would play this mini keyboard thing. it sounded awful. i walked past here daily and saw her improving on it. started dropping her 10baht each time. i liked the fact she wasn't just sitting there with her hand out. she was trying to find a skill or service and was actively improving at it. even at a very old age. i can respect that.

• Like 2

Some people are simply unemployable, for one reason or another. Maybe they are physically or mentally handicapped, or simply can't pay attention long enough to be a worthwhile hire. I haven't checked, but I doubt Thailand has food stamps or welfare. Family can help, but sometimes they don't. In reality, if these unemployable are employed, maybe they'll get 100 baht for all day. Imagine living on $100 a month. So it becomes a no-brainer. Walk around with your hand out at busy bars and collect 100 baht an hour, or more. Mostly these are hopeless people who are at least doing something to salvage their desperate lives. Are you enabling them, or helping them to survive? That is the question I face when confronted with the outstretched hand. I go with my gut. Sometimes I give, but most the time my gut says to walk away. I usually pick one person (beggar) to represent the charitable part of my nature, and walk away from all the rest.

• Like 1

why do they only come to us ? " farangs " thai people do not have money ? or thai people are stingy greedy people and will not help their fellow man when down on their luck.

oh, i just cant wait for the 1st negitive post on here.

waiting

" oh, i just cant wait for the 1st negitive post on here."

Definition of a troll, no?

troll

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

I see beggars on Pattaya Tai, especially on market days and they get money from Thais and farang. 10 or 20 baht from someone who works in 7-Eleven may not seem like much, but I've not seen many farang putting a similar percentage of their income in the beggars' cups. In fact most walk by studiously avoiding eye contact with the beggar.

One of the reasons there is very little hunger in Thailand is because a Thai, no matter how poor him/herself, will almost always be willing to share.

I suppose from your point of view this amounts to a "negitive" post. If you want to give someone some charity, do it to help the person, not to make yourself feel self-important or to use as an excuse to start another Thai bashing thread. That's not being charitable.

Humblebrag.png