Thai universities miss 'young' top 100 list

webfact

Thai universities miss 'young' top 100 list
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- No Thai university has made a list of the world's top 100 universities that are less than 50 years old.

Times Higher Education (THE) magazine, which has just released the list, said that young Thai universities compared less favourably to many other countries on two fronts: reputation and the number of times the academic papers they produced were cited.

"But overall, the signs are very positive for Thailand and we are seeing improvement," THE said in an email to The Nation.

The magazine's 100 Under 50 has been compiled so as to look to the future by examining the new breed of universities.
On the top of the list is South Korea's Pohang University of Science and Technology, followed by Switzerland's Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne and another South Korean institution, the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology.

Hong Kong University of Science and Technology stays fourth, while Singapore's Nanyang Technological University is fifth.

The youngest university on the list is Austria's Medical University of Vienna, which was established in its current form in 2004 and is ranked 36th.

THE said that Chiang Mai University and Prince of Songkla University were eligible to be on the list.

"They've met the strict criteria, which includes a minimum number of research papers published," it said.

The magazine said that the global academia environment was now highly competitive with increased investment in institutions globally, particularly in the Far East.

Chiang Mai University will not be considered for next year's list as it was founded in 1964.

The full list can be viewed here: www.thewur.com

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-05

I had a chance to spend 3 hrs at one of the biggest Uni's in BKK.

Checked out Library and was hanging around a huge open hall where students were sitting for exams.

Library - mostly a depository of class sets locally published lecture notes. Not much in terms of books.

Around the exam hall the grounds were virtually littered with above notes. Not one book in sight. Scary!

I can imagine the width of the knowledge spectrum imposed on the poor kids by "Professors".

Any RND work requires ability to read books, articles evaluate them critically and generally know what's going on in your field.

Where these poor Thai kids will learn this? NO, NO, I'm not saying they're stupid...

• Like 2

No Thai university even appeared in the top 400 if you check the list. The Thai press writes this article as if Thai universities missed the cut at 100, but the truth is they missed the 400 cut as well. Maybe reform in Thailand starts witha little truth and facts without slanting the article so as to mislead the expectations of the Thai people.

Truth and slanting things to mislead Thai people. You must be joking for that to happen in this land where making yourself look good and righteous and not taking responsibility is the norm and their culture.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Checked out Library and was hanging around a huge open hall where students were sitting for exams.

Library - mostly a depository of class sets locally published lecture notes. Not much in terms of books.

Around the exam hall the grounds were virtually littered with above notes. Not one book in sight. Scary!

I can imagine the width of the knowledge spectrum imposed on the poor kids by "Professors".

Any RND work requires ability to read books, articles evaluate them critically and generally know what's going on in your field.

Where these poor Thai kids will learn this? NO, NO, I'm not saying they're stupid...

if reference books etc were produced in Kar Tooon form Thai students would probably score highly as they would actually read them and learn by rote, by parrot form.

Aaawwk, Pieces of Eight, Pieces of Eight.

• Like 1

In many (most?) classes, the students don't read anything. Instead, the professor walks in, opens up a powerpoint, and proceeds to explain "how" the students should understand. Conflicting ideas? Alternate methods of investigation? Asking "why?' Probably none of those things will happen. If they do, the students and university should get down on their knees and pray thanks for the person taking the time to care--instead of just coming in to cash a paycheck.

I think you mean the who, what, when, where, how and why of it all. I agree.They aren't taught to think or question in any sort of objective or abstract way: they're taught to pass tests.

It always amazes me how a prestigious Thai university can offer a fifty-five minute English conversation class with 60 students enrolled and expect them to actually learn to speak English.

• Like 1

It's not as bad as it looks. Of all 7,021 universities in the USA, only .11% (or 8 universities) made this list. This means 7,013 universities in the United States didn't make the list. Probably because the universities were over 50 years old...but still, don't read too much into the Times Higher Education report. Also interesting to note, in 2011, only 57% of first time students who start a 4 year undergraduate degree in the USA actually complete it. (Source) However, 57% is the percentage of complete the degree in 6 years and not the planned 4 years. It seems a bit risky to study in the USA.

Number of Universities in the USA (Click Here)

Number of Universities that made the list. (Click Here)

Graduation Rates in the USA (Click Here)

OTOH, Thai universities do like to build a lot of buildings. It's just that there is nothing in them. Potemkin Universities, you might call them.

Yeah, that seems to be true. All of the universities I have visited here have had massive campuses but not the bustling student life you would associate with them. At the one I work at now, I am often the only person teaching on an entire floor. Contrast that with where I went to school. I would say the buildings were at 70-90% capacity.

I know a Thai school which has a 'relationship' with a Thai Uni. After students had been ushered through the school, where they were sure to pass every exam (as long as they went to the 'extra lessons'), they were guaranteed a place at University, where I can only presume they all passed and left as clueless as they began.

Everyone passes. Everyone's a winner. Except in reality where they're all losers, as this list may suggest.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Perhaps there should be a list of the World's Top 100 Middle Aged Universities with long names situated in the Tropics?

Thailand would finish behind Singapore and Malaysia in that category, too.

Among the reasons Thai universities are not on the Young 50 List and/or can't crack the top 400 of the overall list:

1. Few publications in English means nobody is going to cite them.

2. Few presentations at international conferences means few people are going to know them

3. Force people to retire at 60, when many in Europe and the US teach into their 70s and actually increase their research and publication rate--especially later in their career.

4. Relatively few PhDs (and reliance on online PhDs when they do get them) compared to PhD as a minimum requirement in the West for even the most basic consideration of a job.

5. No serious libraries = No serious research.

OTOH, Thai universities do like to build a lot of buildings. It's just that there is nothing in them. Potemkin Universities, you might call them.

Have you actually spent very much time in a Thai academic environment? I have at a major university, for over 20 years and will address your points.

1. All the graduate & PhD candidates produce publications in English, both National and International. I proof many of the manuscripts and after peer review comes back from the publishers, I help with the errors.

2. Many International presentations are done by our students. Recently one in Japan where one of our PhD candidates came in 1st place with his presentation even over several Japanese students.

3. There is mandatory retirement at 60 at government universities but if one has strong contributions they can continue work via annual contracts. I know several doing such.

4. Our lab has many PhDs, most with International training for their PhD thesis work and post grad work. At least half are female physicists.

5. Libraries are limited but papers and others are obtainable via the Internet. When I write a research publication I have to get my references through this method and it works very well. We do very serious research, many are areas never done in Thailand and very limited similar projects Internationally. One such project is in super cooling atoms in quantum physics for things like quantum computers, more precise atomic clocks, etc. Not weak areas of research by any means.

Easy to sit on the sidelines and criticize.

• Like 2