Thailand: Public holiday on May 13 - shops, bars, restaurants barred from selling alcohol

webfact

Phuket:
Another public holiday on May 13

The Phuket News

1399265460_1-org.jpg
The birth of the Buddha, depicted on the walls of a wat in Laos.

PHUKET: Tuesday, May 13, is Visakha Bucha Day, a public holiday. Because it is a holy day, shops, bars and restaurants are barred from selling alcohol for 24 hours from midnight on Monday night.

On Visakha Bucha Day, Buddhists mark three important moments in the life of the Buddha: his birth, his enlightenment and his death.

Devout Buddhists will rise early and go to the wat to make merit and listen to sermons on the Buddha’s teachings. In some temples Buddhists will perform “Wien Tien” in the evening, circling the bodh, or main hall, carrying candles, incense and lotus flowers.

Establishments such as schools will also hang yellow Buddhist flags for the day. Government offices and many businesses will be shut.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/another-public-holiday-on-may-13-46101.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-05

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it again with 6 month prison if they catch you selling alcohol?

I can't recall that Buddha told "and punish these who don't follow me without mercy!"

I doubt Mohammed ever said anything like that either but that's the wild wacky world of religion for you.

• Like 2

In before the "Waaaaa - I can't drink that day and it's going to kill the tourist industry because WAAAAAAA !" replies.

Did you know that back in the "real" world there are places that don't sell alcohol on Sundays because, you know, religion and stuff ! There are still places where shops aren't allowed to open on Sundays. And they have these things called "Statutory Holidays" and stuff ! Don't they know it will absolutely kill all those business's if they are closed for a day once in a while ?!?!?! WAAAAAAAAA.

The absolute horror I feel every time I try going to the bank on on a Sunday ! Egads ! I have to wait ONE DAY until I can do my banking ??!? What kind of #*!?@& place is this !

It's really quite pathetic to whine about something that happens so infrequently. A couple religious holidays per year, maybe a couple elections. So what, 6-7 days out of an entire year that bars are supposed to close ?

WAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Like 2

In before the "Waaaaa - I can't drink that day and it's going to kill the tourist industry because WAAAAAAA !" replies.

Did you know that back in the "real" world there are places that don't sell alcohol on Sundays because, you know, religion and stuff ! There are still places where shops aren't allowed to open on Sundays. And they have these things called "Statutory Holidays" and stuff ! Don't they know it will absolutely kill all those business's if they are closed for a day once in a while ?!?!?! WAAAAAAAAA.

The absolute horror I feel every time I try going to the bank on on a Sunday ! Egads ! I have to wait ONE DAY until I can do my banking ??!? What kind of #*!?@& place is this !

It's really quite pathetic to whine about something that happens so infrequently. A couple religious holidays per year, maybe a couple elections. So what, 6-7 days out of an entire year that bars are supposed to close ?

WAAAAAAAAAAAA

Maybe it's the people who cannot go a day without a drink. We all need balance in our lives & this is one way to help restore it.

• Like 2

WAAAAAAAAAAAA

Which is worse? Complaining that the bars are closed sometimes during the year for religous or political holidays OR complaining all the time about the people who complain sometimes like your post?

It is not written that you can not drink. Only that public places wont serve alcohol which is BS because if you really want you can find sellers just about everywhere and anytime of the day or night

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do they ever go to work, these people?

Illegal selling equals nice on the spot fines.

Because of quality tourist holiday Thailand, not to disappoint arriving unsuspecting ones how about.----

Having 3 months of NO ALCOHOL during the rainy season then 9 months of endless boozing in the high season. Then everyone will be aware.

The only other way is for tourist areas to be exempt.

OR stay the same where no one knows who is open to sell or not. Depends on the police in your area.

• Like 2

Is it again with 6 month prison if they catch you selling alcohol?

I can't recall that Buddha told "and punish these who don't follow me without mercy!"

Did'nt you mean: "and fine those who don't follow me without mercy?

That's why the original is known as "Buddhism" and not Bathism.

• Like 1

This religious holiday has been for ages and its celebrated on the same day of buddhist around the world. Its not an exceptional or special day that pops out of the blue. Whats the big HOOHAA. Chill at home if you're an alcoholic for heaven sake.

WAAAAAAAAAAAA

There are some good doctors in Thailand to help you with your problem WAAAAAAAAA

Devout Buddhists will rise early and go to the wat to make merit and listen to sermons on the Buddha’s teachings. In some temples Buddhists will perform “Wien Tien” in the evening, circling the bodh, or main hall, carrying candles, incense and lotus flowers.

Ok, should be a light turnout then. I know of very few devout Buddhists. Most seem far more interested in acquiring money by any means possible, and then drinking and womenizing.

• Like 1

I live in a rural area....close to Hua Hin and Cha Am......our local stores never close......! Always welcome farang smile.png)

RURAL you call Hua Hin Cha Am rural. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Yeh I am laughing

HE DID SAY close to. I lived in a rural area close to UDON THANI, one of the top most populated cities.

WAAAAAAAAAAAA

There are some good doctors in Thailand to help you with your problem WAAAAAAAAA

Ha ha..... he said 2 holidays a year on average 3 a month of different sorts.

I live in a rural area....close to Hua Hin and Cha Am......our local stores never close......! Always welcome farang smile.png)

RURAL you call Hua Hin Cha Am rural. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Yeh I am laughing

HE DID SAY close to. I lived in a rural area close to UDON THANI, one of the top most populated cities.

He has probably already had a few building up for next week.

There are now so many alcohol free days it would be a lot easier for the BIB to go round all the bars and tell them when they can sell alcohol.